starting strength gym
Page 365 of 443 FirstFirst ... 265315355363364365366367375415 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,650 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Good stuff. Now you can throw them at people who annoy you.
    Violence is not the answer, Sean.

For some reason I had never seen your log even through all this time of your coaching me. Shows how narcissistic I am :/. You are a beast in all of your 45 plate pinching glory. I hope your knees come around soon sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Violence is not the answer, Sean.
    Violence? No, I meant like tossing them a frisbee. You know, making friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Violence? No, I meant like tossing them a frisbee. You know, making friends.
    If only Dale Carnegie knew the true secret was tossing 45 lb plates like frisbees, his book could have been one page long.

Block Pulls - 6", all with 4" belt
    445x5 @6, 485x1, 515x1 @6.5
    405x5 @6
    Notes: Pretty solid. Happy with these. Did the first rep of 405 backoff set DOH just to see if I could. It wasn't super solid, but I managed it.

445x5 and 515x1 on IG

Press - belt + wraps
    210x5x3 @10
    Notes: Unexpectedly very hard. The fifth rep of the first and third sets were really slow grinds. The second set moved a little faster but I still couldn't have done another rep. I suspect that either I was just not having a great press day OR my body hasn't adapted to the increased work volume of the circuits I'm doing yet, or both. Cause otherwise there's no reason for it to have gotten so hard between 205 on Monday and 210 today.

Chins
    BWx7x2
    BWx6x4
    BWx5 = 43, EZPZ

Conditioning
    4 rounds, starting with 1 min rest, adding 5s rest each round (down from 10s)
    2 Strict HSPU
    5 snatches/arm @ 24kg
    8 pushups
    Notes: In case anyone's wondering why I'm not rowing as I usually do for conditioning, I'm avoiding working knee flexion and extension as much as possible during my current knee therapy course. When that's over at the end of Feb, I'll give more things a try. Till then, it's all hip-dominant stuff without much ROM about the knees.

Standing EZ Curl French Press - forgot to do Weds so made up today
    77x10, 97x8x2
    Alt DB Curls
    45x8, 50x8, 35x12

Hey Coach Wolf,

Got a question. So your presses were harder than usual and you suspect it may have been just a bad day or not used to the work volume yet. I kinda (I think) had this experience with my presses the other day too and was wondering how to troubleshoot through it. If you think it’s the volume, do you cut the volume down (in my case I think it was the added dips)? Do you keep chugging along and hope your body adapts? Thank you for the tips and happy to see you on the mend!

That Q really depends on context. For example, for me, this a re-LP trying to get back to weights I've done before, and actually done much more than - I did 250x6 and 230x5x5 less than a year ago. Hell, I think IIRC that I first did 210x5x3 in 2014. I know I did 215x5x5 followed by 185x10 in 2015. On the other hand, I also didn't lift a damn thing heavy enough to be "stress" for almost 6 months and actually lost a visible degree of muscle, so doing a quick re-LP may not be sufficient and I may need to move to more intermediate type programming sooner due to the length of my absence from heavy lifting and resultant muscle loss.

I still don't know if it was just one bad day - I could try moving to microloading, or reducing the upper body pressing work in these circuits. My issue is, as I wrote about in my last post - I want to add conditioning and get back into half decent shape after 6 months of only walking, but I need to avoid doing knee flexion and extension stuff until my knee treatment is done - that leaves not too many options. Leaving out circuits that involve pushups, HSPU, and KB Clean + press seems to limit me to swings and snatches alone, and even snatches work the shoulders some. So I will probably continue to do those and just see what happens, if i have to microload and move to intermediate programming sooner, so be it (jedi).

For you, I don't know any of those local factors so harder to answer your Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    That Q really depends on context. For example, for me, this a re-LP trying to get back to weights I've done before, and actually done much more than - I did 250x6 and 230x5x5 less than a year ago. Hell, I think IIRC that I first did 210x5x3 in 2014. I know I did 215x5x5 followed by 185x10 in 2015. On the other hand, I also didn't lift a damn thing heavy enough to be "stress" for almost 6 months and actually lost a visible degree of muscle, so doing a quick re-LP may not be sufficient and I may need to move to more intermediate type programming sooner due to the length of my absence from heavy lifting and resultant muscle loss.

I still don't know if it was just one bad day - I could try moving to microloading, or reducing the upper body pressing work in these circuits. My issue is, as I wrote about in my last post - I want to add conditioning and get back into half decent shape after 6 months of only walking, but I need to avoid doing knee flexion and extension stuff until my knee treatment is done - that leaves not too many options. Leaving out circuits that involve pushups, HSPU, and KB Clean + press seems to limit me to swings and snatches alone, and even snatches work the shoulders some. So I will probably continue to do those and just see what happens, if i have to microload and move to intermediate programming sooner, so be it (jedi).

For you, I don't know any of those local factors so harder to answer your Q.
    Thanks, Coach. This was quite helpful. I understand that my situation is definitely different than yours, and that I really didn't give you a whole lot to go on, but it was good to kinda see your thought process and what things should be considered and how to maybe approach them. I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of things. If it happens again I think I'll know for sure what it is. Thanks again. All the best.
    -Royce

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Thanks, Coach. This was quite helpful. I understand that my situation is definitely different than yours, and that I really didn't give you a whole lot to go on, but it was good to kinda see your thought process and what things should be considered and how to maybe approach them. I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of things. If it happens again I think I'll know for sure what it is. Thanks again. All the best.
    -Royce
    No prob, hope it helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Bench Press - 3" belt
    315x5x3 @7.5, 8, 8.5-9
    Notes: Felt solid doing three plates again. Still a long way from my best benching of 10 months ago, and it's been 5.5 years since I first did this - yes, I looked it up, 10/26/12 - so it should really be no big deal. BUT, BUT, BUT 315x5 is a nice plate milestone for bench and I have felt so weak and shitty for so long. It's nice to get these mental wins, even if 315 isn't inherently more important than 310 or 320.

Block Pull - 6"
    455x5 @6, 495x2 @7 - mixed, 3" belt
    405x5 @6 - first two reps DOH, next three hooked, beltless
    Notes: Continues to move solidly. I'm itching so bad to try pulling from lower, or even the floor again, but keep telling myself to wait till after the whole course of knee treatment is over.

Block Pulls and Bench on IG

Chins
    BWx4x3 - between block pulls to save time
    BWx6,7,7,7,7 after block pulls = 46

Conditioning
    4 rounds, 1 min rest
    First two rounds
    KB Clean + 2 presses x4/arm @20kg
    KB Swing x15 @28kg
    Last two rounds
    KB Clean + 2 presses x3/arm, otherwise same
    Cashout 20 swings
    Notes: This didn't get HR up enough. I just want to row! I lowered the intensity of pressing to see if that helps continue with the LP on Weds.

LTEs
    77x10x2
    Notes: Switched from standing to LTEs, now that my stomach/abs feel strong enough to stabilize in that position without getting irritated at the incision sites. Kept it light since I haven't done any of the "pullover" part of the movement for a long time, so I expect to feel a little sore from these.