starting strength gym
Page 373 of 443 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Felt pretty crappy all around today and am planning on a heavy day Friday, so made today's generally lighter day even lighter-er.

Press - dead stop, strict
    155x5, 165x5x2

CGBP
    225x5, 245x5x2

Barbell Rows
    245x6, 265x6x2

DB Curls
    50x10x2

Felt pretty good today after a lighter Wednesday and was ready to crush it. Life had other plans. Background info is there is this group of mostly super lean, super jacked guys who have started coming together in a large group of 5-10 every Friday doing open gym and doing stupid shit, stupidly, in a way that's very disruptive to the rest of the gym space but isn't technically against any rules (well, mostly, some of it is but largely not. Also, not that my gym has ever given a shit about creating a proper respectful culture or teaching its members gym etiquette, which as a prerequisite would require that our own coaches know and observe gym etiquette. And spoiler alert: many of them don't. Anyway). They usually do endless touch-n-go deadlifts at 315, superset with some 135 push presses and assault bike sprints. They do this in the strength area off the big racks, where other people are ostensibly trying to actually strength train, even though there is approximately another 4000 sq ft of more open space, built up platforms so they can drop their DLs, and squat stands to set up for the push presses, where they'd have more space and not be in anyone's way. They're strong and jacked by accident so they can do lots of rounds and reps, but their form is atrocious and whenever they speak about training, it's clear they have no idea what they're talking about. I have a short video of one of them trying to use the chains - simply thrown over the end of the bar too high to ever collect on the floor at all, and not secured, so the chains on one side of the barbell fell off as soon as it was unracked. They also drop their bars on a part of the gym where dropping isn't permitted, because the floor is not built to absorb it, I told them about this last time and they were doing it again today till I told them again.

Today, one of them finished his workout with lots of 225 quarter squats. ANYWAY. So these guys come in today while I'm warming up my bench and set up right behind me. I do my first two sets of 405, ignoring them. On the third set, just as I unracked, one of the guys saunters into the tiny space between the end of my barbell and the wall to get some plates for his very important workout, then saunters back out during the set.

It is no exaggeration to say that 1-2 inches of him not paying attention to exactly where his body was in space, or just misjudging it, and I could have been very seriously hurt with 405 on the bar. These guys have given me every reason not to trust that they're capable of paying attention to anything except taking pictures of each other's ripped abs shirtless while at the gym.

It wasn't like he wandered into a gray area. He didn't walk to the rack next door. There is literally 1-2 inches of extra clearance between the end of the bar and the wall, once you insert a person, and he couldn't wait ~10 seconds to do it.

In case it is not obvious, I am still pissed about this almost 12 hours later. Gets better though.

After I finish benching, I take the bar to the outside of the rack to press because the racks are too short to press inside of if you're over 5'8" or so. I had done all my warmups: 45, 95, 135, 175, and 205. I loaded 225, went over to the water fountain to refill my bottle and went over to fill out some of my physical training log notebook, and when I get back, one of them had set up a bar to DL on literally right where I was pressing. In the several thousand square feet of empty gym space, he went and put his barbell in the one and only space where I needed, where I had been lifting for the past few minutes and 2 feet away from the spot inside the rack I had been benching on since before he got there. Anyway, I told him to move and he did, but Jesus H Christ.

These guys are all personal trainers and/or group fitness teachers at some of the areas highest end, most expensive local gyms and boutique studios. One is a chiropractor. I am just in awe at the depths of their lack of knowledge, and lack of self awareness about their lack of knowledge. Dunning Kruger is running rampant.

How can people possibly this stupid, inconsiderate, entitled, stupid, selfish, shortsighted, and stupid?

When this gym opened nearly 4 years ago and I signed on to lead the strength program, I knew I'd see some things in there on the crossfit side I didn't agree with, some things I wouldn't like, even some things I thought were dumb. But it was going to be crossit. I was prepared for that, I girded myself up in preparation.

What I never thought I'd have to see and deal with again, but what it turns out that I have to see and deal with nearly every day, is sharing space in close proximity to not only the expected stupidity on the crossfit side, but the same kind and level of stupidity that you'll see and get in every two-bit, fitness model run, beast genetic freak who became a personal trainer run bootcamp program. And share in such close proximity, that I nearly get decapitated by it.

This has all been true for a while now, except the last part. This takes things to a whole new level of frustration.

Oh, but I still trained.

Bench - 3" belt
    405x2,2,3 @9
    Notes: Plan was 2,2,2+ till @9 / leave one in the tank. I wanted 4, I could've gotten 4, except I got distracted by shithead walking so close to my bar that I could feel the breeze, and it threw me off. Still, 2,2,3 at 405 ain't bad. Also forgot wraps on the first set, but I just started using them on bench anyway so NBD.

405 sets on IG with bonus near death idiocy scene!

Press - 4" belt + wraps
    225x5x5 @7-8
    Notes: These moved REALLY well, and did so primarily on rage.

Snatch Grip DL - Wide-ish stance, 1.5" mats
    405x7x2
    Notes: Have to use the wide stance for knees.

Leg Press
    90x8, 140x8x3
    Notes: Just added a 25 to each side. Still super easy obviously.

Assistancey Stuff
    Hammer Strength Plate Loaded High to Low Row
    160/side x8
    180/side x8x3
    135/side x 15

Machine Reverse Flyes
    2x12

Standing EZ Curl French Press
    2x10 - not sure how much empty bar weighs here, but the curves are weird and hurt my wrists so I'll need to do these with my bar at Solace or else just do other tricep stuff at the globo.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-27-2018 at 10:32 PM.

You'd think that someone benching their deadlift 1RM would paralyze them with awe to such a degree that he couldn't have made such a douchey move.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    After I finish benching, I take the bar to the outside of the rack to press because the racks are too short to press inside of if you're over 5'8" or so. I had done all my warmups: 45, 95, 135, 175, and 205.
    Watched the video- same exact group of guys comes to the gym I train at and does same exact shit - will be a foot behind me while I’m pressing when they have tons of space to train in. Dangerous and infuriating.

At my gym I also get the pleasure of trainers who have stepped within the rack with me while I’m squatting 500+, no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Watched the video- same exact group of guys comes to the gym I train at and does same exact shit - will be a foot behind me while I’m pressing when they have tons of space to train in. Dangerous and infuriating.

At my gym I also get the pleasure of trainers who have stepped within the rack with me while I’m squatting 500+, no joke.
    The fact that they go to gyms all around the city and do this is simultaneously infuriating and not surprising at all. They’re parasitic locusts who rely on their appearance and group-size to intimidate anyone from saying anything to them, while they abuse equipment and take over entire areas of the gym - completely unnecessarily - veering dangerously close to people doing actual heavy lifting, where slight missteps can cause major wrecks.

I’m done dealing with this shit. This is only one example, one of the worst, but only one. Currently I’m waiting for my noon semi private session to start, while a non-solace coach who’s technically not allowed to be seeing clients during peak hours is here anyway, having his client drop snatches onto the all wood platform (because it’s too hard to make the sides rubber to absorb some of the noise, right? Not something that 100 ppl on this very site have done themselves in their garage? But too hard for a 3 million dollar facility with a facilities staff to do?) which makes a ton of noise, all of 8 feet away, so whenever I give a cue during a drop my people can’t hear it. Not to mention the highly distracting and irritating level of the noise when they’re not doing any sets either. It’s so bad it literally makes people jump the first several times, until they get desensitized to it. This is what I pay a couple thousand a month in rent for? Rules completely unenforced in ways that continually and constantly detract from the space and equipment and atmosphere of the business and programs im trying to run professionally. That last word being one that they have never heard of.

If there was a gym that was firm on not allowing such ass-hat behavior I would sign up in a heartbeat. I'm jealous of actual SS gyms like Fivex3 or Horn where people are cool. Open up yours in Delaware and I'll be the first one in line with my credit card!

Besides that I hope the leg presses are helping with your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin View Post
    If there was a gym that was firm on not allowing such ass-hat behavior I would sign up in a heartbeat.
    I'd sign up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin
    Open up yours in Delaware and I'll be the first one in line with my credit card!
    Appreciate the vote of confidence but the chances of that are zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin
    Besides that I hope the leg presses are helping with your knees.
    They're not going to help my knees, but if they allow me to work a similar movement pattern with a reasonable load, that'll be better than nothing in terms of training.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-28-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Erg Intervals today.

30s on / 60s off x 8 at 1:40-1:45 pace, then 2x 300m at 1:50-1:55 pace with 1:45 rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Appreciate the vote of confidence but the chances of that are zero.
    HA! Well I had to take a (selfish) shot.

In regards to your knee I have zero to offer of any knowledge or words of value, and saying "hope you feel better" is kind of shallow and a throw away line. So in the spirit of goodwill, friendliness, and hope for better joint health I can only give you this and hope it's enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds fun. Unforunately, people who aren't aware of their surroundings in the gym, or who are aware but don't care anyway, are all too common. I had someone hip-bump my barbell at the bottom of a 475 squat once, and then he seemed perplexed as to why I might be angry. Not much you can do.

... except move to Arizona in a few months and open a gym with me.