starting strength gym
Page 38 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm thankful our situation is as good as it is. And also a testament to this community. We met Josh and Shelley not 6 weeks ago, and they opened their home to us without hesitation. Strength of character goes hand in hand with strength under the bar.
    This just made me really happy.

Got the word that power came back on this evening. Stayed for dinner (chicken fried steak Texas style) and a movie and now finally home. Power and water are, indeed, back up and running. Funny how you appreciate the things you usually take for granted after a week like this.

Thanks again to everyone for checking in and special thanks to Josh and Shelley (and Nala and Bodie) for housing us the past day. Your hospitality was amazing and we appreciate it more than we can say.

Tomorrow hopefully I can get downtown where my belt and shoes are, to train. As of now the gym is still out of power, but it is expected to be back on overnight and to open on time at 8am. The question will be how I get there. Subways aren't running below 34th St yet, so I may have to walk the 3 miles or see if I can find a cab. Which are hard to find due to the gas shortage. One way or the other, I'm getting my ass down there.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-02-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Tomorrow hopefully I can get downtown where my belt and shoes are, to train. As of now the gym is still out of power, but it is expected to be back on overnight and to open on time at 8am. The question will be how I get there. Subways aren't running below 34th St yet, so I may have to walk the 3 miles or see if I can find a cab. Which are hard to find due to the gas shortage. One way or the other, I'm getting my ass down there.
    Free warm ups FTW. Really glad to hear things are starting to return to normal for you guys.

Glad you guys are back home.

I seem to remember a few pages back telling you what kind of people Josh and Shelley are, we could all be better if we were more like them.

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Got the word that power came back on this evening. Stayed for dinner (chicken fried steak Texas style) and a movie and now finally home. Power and water are, indeed, back up and running. Funny how you appreciate the things you usually take for granted after a week like this.

Thanks again to everyone for checking in and special thanks to Josh and Shelley (and Nala and Bodie) for housing us the past day. Your hospitality was amazing and we appreciate it more than we can say.
    We enjoyed having you guys and don't need to wait for the next storm to hangout. When the city is back to normal lets get some workouts in too. Also, if you guys need anything, anytime just let us know.

Thanks again to everyone for your good thoughts. It's amazing to be back home WITH power and water. You really appreciate the little things. I'm sure the feeling will fade as life returns to normal, as these things do, but I'm going to look into what donations I can make to help people who have lost their homes and got hit much worse than we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I seem to remember a few pages back telling you what kind of people Josh and Shelley are, we could all be better if we were more like them.
    And you were 100% spot-on right. You have that habit, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wells View Post
    We enjoyed having you guys and don't need to wait for the next storm to hangout. When the city is back to normal lets get some workouts in too. Also, if you guys need anything, anytime just let us know.
    Agreed on all counts. The first thing we need is to take you guys out to dinner at what will be, once you've eaten there, your new favorite restaurant. I'm not sure it's back up and running yet, but either this weekend or next, we gotta go.

Now for today's training. I hadn't lifted since last Friday (10/26), so missed 3 workouts and 8 days. I figured my strength should be fine, but adaptation to volume seems to fade more quickly for me. I didn't want Monday's training to destroy me, make me too sore to sit on the pot for 5 days, and suck, so I did a bit of work today to help ease back into things. Went very well.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x5, 275x3, 345x2, 395x1, 425x1, 365x3
    Ramped then hit a single at ~95% of previous high for a set of 5, then a back off triple heavy enough to be work, but not so heavy to be hard work. Even though lower in volume and intensity, my legs felt this afterwards.

Bench
    45x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x2, 315x1, 285x3
    Same idea as the Squat, but used slightly higher percentages because the bench doesn't fatigue me like the squat does. What I was really happy with was how easily I did the 315. Granted I did 315x5x3 last Friday, but I did this 315x1 with no hand-off and just owned it. Flew off my chest. Even when I "benched" 405 in college, I never really owned 315 like I do now. Feels good.

Clean and Press
    95x3, 125x3, 145x3, 165x1
    Wanted to do some type of pulling but way to close to Monday to do anything remotely challenging, so I got in some light pressing and a few cleans.

Chins
    Rounded things off with one easy set of 6, leaving a bunch of reps in the tank

Plan for Monday is 5x5 squats at 375, 5x5 bench at 280, and haltings 475x5. I hope that will be doable and recoverable after today's training.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

You benched 405 in college?

Oye.

Well, let's be clear. While I did touch my chest on every rep, I probably bounced the thing off my chest/ribcage like a trampoline. It was not by any stretch paused and would have gotten 3 reds at a meet. It was probably not even OK by strict touch-n-go standards. I also focused inordinately on bench and arms at the time. I also weighed 265lbs, a lot of which was chub (I am currently 255 with a bunch more muscle). I was also 23 and indestructible.

But, in 2005 I brought 405 down to my chest and back up, with no help from spotters after the hand-off. For whatever that's worth (not much).

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Glad to hear everything's back to (relatively) normal up there...your story has further supported the pride I have to be part of the SSC community, even if I am only a recreational lifter.

starting strength coach development program
    Glad to have you back and plugged in.