Page 394 of 443 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    So happy with this report! Texas was the right move
    It's like I was self-administering doses of catabolism every minute of every hour for the last 16+ years, and moving has allowed me to do what I was always capable of in the absence of the poison permeating the air in NYC. <hint hint>

Dude! Monster squat out of nowhere. That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    Dude! Monster squat out of nowhere. That is awesome.
    I was as surprised as anyone. I did think I could still squat 500, just not that quickly and easily.

Though now that I think this through more clearly: the best I ever actually did was 585, but I was probably good for about 50-70 lbs more than that under ideal conditions, based on the reps and bar speed of sets I had done around that time (i.e. 545x2 @6.5-7 immediately before 585x1, both done without a real taper and peak). Considering that I've been deadlifting - which still works the quads, hams, glutes, and low back, even if not all to the same extent and in the same way; and that I and am at least as strong - and probably a little stronger - in the DL than I was then, I guess it's not really that surprising. But I still wasn't expecting it. I mean hell. If I really was good for 635-655 then and just didn't peak and work up to it, it's not inconceivable that I could squat 600 now - if I managed to hold on to just over 90% of my squat strength through not cutting and my DL training (and leg pressing to a smaller extent), then that is possible. And that doesn't seem so crazy given how resilient strength is and that there is at least some carry over from pulls. Maybe I'll pull 600 out of my ass at the meet, if my knees cooperate. Probably not, but man would that be cool or what?!?!?
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-16-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Is the Meet this Saturday?

Is the Meet this Saturday?
    Yessir.

Light work tonight, then off till Saturday.

Press
    95x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x3

Close Grip Bench
    135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3x2

Cable Row
    2x8 @ 10% less than I'd usually do for a solid but submax 3x10

DB Curls
    40x8x2

Nice. Go get em

Nice. Go get em
    Crush it, Wolf!

Nice. Go get em
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Crush it, Wolf!
    Thanks bros! Today was a great day!

I still have at least an hour or three of SSOC work to do tonight so Ill have to keep this briefer than otherwise, but today was better than I could have imagined. Hitting my goal #s in the press and DL, totaling 1000+ with just press and DL, and squatting 573 like an opener and just missing 600(!!!) despite not training my squat in 25 months. Competing with some of my clients who have just made me so unbelievable proud. Competing with guys who I've seen put up real good numbers in other strength meets like Clint Case and Mike Cordova, and the Albino Wunderkid himself, Chase Lindley. Having a huge amount of support from friends and colleagues at SS and SSOC, especially Reynolds, but too many to mention everyone by name. Rip announcing (and chastising my form errors every time I came to submit my next attempt; the man literally can't NOT coach!). Such a great day.

OK, real quick.

SQUAT
    243, 260, 272 miss (535/573/601 in Americanese).
    This was 100% all bonus. I haven't trained my squat in 25 months. As of a week ago, my plan was to do 80, 100, and maybe 125kg at most if it was feeling better than usual. Monday's work up to 500 was a total shock that my knees cooperated. I moved my opener to 220, then 230, then 243 during warm-ups. What the hell?

Smoked 243, and 260 looked like an opener. No doubt 273, which is 601, is there. I am definitely strong enough to do it. I was just too nervous, descended too slowly, too tentatively, with no bounce, and the simple lack of practice with any weight on my back at all made it not happen today. Every inch of descent from about my 465 warm-up on, I was in trepidation that the usual stabbing would occur, so I artificially held my knees back, they slid at the bottom, etc. Form issues I really could not overcome in one day. OK. But I am beyond happy that I hit 573 lbs without bad pain, seemingly no bad after effects, and looking like an opener.

PRESS
    130, 138, 143 (287/304/315 in Freedom Units).
    This went about as planned. I was ready to call for 144-145 but I think 143 was the right call today. I train with a visual contact point usually 3-6 feet ahead and having a 30-40 foot distance to my visual spot always throws me off. I meant to do some practice with that the last few weeks and it just slipped my mind. No problem, a 315 press is what I went into this cycle wanting.

DEADLIFT
    283, 302, 318 (623/666/701 in 'Murica).
    Taking the last DL of the day is always a bit daunting, but also very exciting and an honor. Cordova has pulled 715 or so in training but he didn't have it today and ended at 685. Chase might have 700 if he'd have worked up to it properly instead of opening at 650 and jumping to 701, missing it twice. But today, I was the last DL, and the only one over 700. A 1 lb PR technically, but a more solid lockout today, and done in a meet with everyone cheering. That was just awesome. Great feeling to end on.

Super proud of my SSOC clients for some huge PRs today, including Rick's first 500 lb deadlift (a 39 lb PR! - and about 100 lbs more than when we started together), and Ellis' first ever 315 squat, which is a new all time PR and also a 30 lb meet PR for her! Just all great vibes coming out of today. Thanks to everyone to who reads this and who watched the live stream for your support.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-19-2019 at 10:44 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Mr. Wolf,
    I have been creeping through the early pages of your log for about the past 2 weeks, so watching you turn some lifetime goals into meet PRs, yesterday, was really exciting!
    It was also exciting to realize that you put up even higher numbers in a Strengthlifitng meet, than in your first 3 or 4 PL meets. It’s awesome to see how far you’ve come even through all the injuries and down times!