Page 405 of 443 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Bench
    321x5, 337x5, 348x5, 321x5
    Notes: Inched up from last week, despite feeling tired and somewhat fatigued. Could've been leftover from off roading over the weekend, seems like the weight and volume shouldn't be enough quite yet to be from lifting alone.

Deadlift:3" belt
    442x5, 486x1
    Notes: Moved a little slow for such a low % but I can still feel my back and it seems to make me a little subconsciously hesitant. Trying to be aggressive, but it's tough when I was nearly functionally crippled in the same spot pretty recently.

486x1 DL video

Chins and Pullups
    Honestly lost count. Probably around 28-32 chins and 18-21 pullups over many smaller sets scattered throughout the workout.

Handstand Pushups
    BW x2,3,3,2
    Notes: Hadn't done these since early back tweak in March or April. Fun to be back upside down.

Standing Arnold Press
    50x10x3
    Goblet Squat
    45x5, 55x5, 65x5x2
    Notes: Kept presses light since I'd already done HSPU. Going to try to build some work capacity and mental tolerance to squatting again via the goblets. My back doesn't feel ready yet but I do want to get back to squatting at least occasionally when I'm able.

DB Curls
    45x8, 55x8x2

Skipped Wednesday - I needed a break, mentally and physically, so called an audible, skipped Weds and went lower stress today.

Bench
    365x2, 385x1, 315x10
    315x10 bench set video

Press
    250x2 @8.5, 210x5, 175x10
    Notes: 250x2 easier than 245x2 a couple weeks ago, even if only a little - so moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.

Leg Press
    Sets of 8 @ 135, 225, 315, 405, 455, 495, 455

Lat Pulldown
    5x8: 2 warmups, 3 work sets
    Tricep Rope
    3x10

Assault Bike Intervals
    20/60 x9, went a little too easy here but got work in,

Default Monday, 7/8

At Unanimous boxing gym in Chicago. Equipment wasn't as awesome as I'm used to but it's cool that a boxing gym has a a whole floor dedicated to S&C that's pretty well equipped. A few better barbells, benches, and some iron plates and it'd be quite solid.

Bench
    315x5, 335x5x3

Deadlift: 3" belt
    455x3 - was supposed to be 5 but only had those thick bumper 45s, so ran out of room and the plates were right at the edge of the collar. They fell off after the third rep so I called it there and then did 475x2 to wrap up.

Chins
    BWx3, then something like 10 sets of 4, and a final set of 8. So I think 51 total, but lost count again. Did it between the bench and DL sets.

DB Press
    1 set of 8 each @60, 70, 80.

DB Curls
    50x8x2

Press: 3" belt + (new) gangsta wraps
    205x5, 215x5, 225x5 @7, 175x8
    Notes: Was suuuuper happy with how well 225 moved. Video here, comparing to 225x5 on May 29, see below for more: Michael Wolf on Instagram: “Wow what a difference six weeks makes! 225x5 in both vids: May 29th on the left, six weeks ago to the day, vs today on the right. Funny…”

I did a hard but not maximal 225x8 in mid-april, after 225x10 during meet prep in December. So I was really down on myself when, exactly 6 weeks ago (May 29), I did 225x5 @10. It was a few weeks back into training, ramping back up after 2 weeks off due to my severe back pain. I didn't expect to be easy, but it was barely a month over 225x8 pretty handily. That stuck with me. So 225x5 today with a likely set of 8 had I pushed to max, was a great mental pick-me-up.

Also got a pair of gangsta wraps, wanted something a little more supportive than the basic rogue soft wraps I've used for 5-6 years. Took a minute to figure out the different configuration, but once I got them on, could feel the difference.

Leg Press
    405x8, 495x6x2
    DB Bench
    85x8, 100x8x2
    Notes: Just ramping things back up, all easy and solid.

Cable Row
    5x8, one warmup, 4 work sets

Tricep Cable
    1x12, 2x10

Assault Bike Intervals
    15/45x10, then a 1 min ride.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-10-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Bench Press: 3" belt
    354x3, 365x3x2 @7.5
    275x10
    Goblet Squat
    BWx7, 40x7, 60x7, 65x7x2
    Notes: Bench was pretty smooth and uneventful. Did the squats to both ease myself back into some kind of squatting, and also to warmup for the DL a bit better than benching alone.

Deadlift
    464x5, 503x1
    Notes: 464 went as well as I could have expected. Still felt my back a bit but by focusing on other cues (hands, feet, especially), I focused less on my back and noticed it less. Didn't do that as well for 503, so didn't execute as well. Still moved reasonably fast, but 464 was better executed.

464x5 & 503x1 on IG

HSPU
    BWx2x3

KB 1-Arm Press
    70x8x3
    Lat PD (Pullup grip)
    6x10: 1 warm-up, 5 work sets

Cable Curls
    3x12
    Ab Wheel
    2x5 - even with this low volume, I haven't done these in ~6-7 months so I'll probably be sore.

Assault Bike
    20/70 x10

Good to see you making progress again.

Have you intentionally widened your DL stance a few inches compared with a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Good to see you making progress again.
    As I'm about to log, I somehow managed to ding my back again yesterday on my last warmup. Every PT and Doc I've spoken to (yes, including those who are into the biopsychosocial model, it's not an unknown fountain of unplumbed depths of new magic bullet info for me) has called me a mystery, enigma, etc... I wish it was about how much I was lifting rather than how unusual my situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi
    Have you intentionally widened your DL stance a few inches compared with a few years ago?
    Yes. Training Log Entry from 1/1/2019:

Technique wise, having Hayden was super helpful. Due to my knees, I'd moved my stance to a very narrow, toes-out to allow a more vertical shin, which avoided my knees trying to extend through an ROM that was very painful, with a bunch of weight. Breaking the weight off the floor, basically. Though they have gotten a little better, I kept the stance. But Hayden was very unsatisfied with my Step 4, and suggested I try a more conventional "SS Stance." I went into all the stuff about my knees etc but eventually caved and tried it - knees were fine, and got a much better squeeze, and felt less strain on the areas of my back that get dinged all the time. So that was awesome. I really can't say enough how important technique coaching is, regardless of how experienced or strong you are. You can't see yourself lift in real time, period. I pay such close attention to my form at all times, I really never just say f**k it and go. Ever. And I film some of my sets every workout and watch them immediately after. But some things need to be in from multiple angles, in real time, and it's absolutely invaluable.

Default Monday, 7/15

Really freakin frustrated. While I was still feeling my back and couldn't call it all better, I had been able to ramp back up at a not too slow pace. Dinged it again yesterday on my last DL warmup, and it's not great today. Seems more flexion sensitive this time, and feels more like my typical deep/QL? issues than the spinal issue from early May. So I'm not basically immobile, but the pain and movement limitations are so frustrating after just getting over them and never even fully coming back. UGH.

Bench
    320x5, 342x5x2, 320x5
    DB Goblet Squat
    BWx8, 45x8, 60x8, 70x8x3
    Notes: All was good here. No indication of any weirdness in my back in the squat or bench, bench moved fine.

342x5 on IG

Deadlift
    155x5, 265x4, 375x2, 441x1 @nope
    Notes: As I mentioned, no real indication anything was worse than usual beforehand. 155 felt completely normal, 265 more or less too. 375 was a little more sensitive than usual but that happens sometimes and ignoring it is usually best. Then at 441, for last warmup before planned 475x5, it was really slow and I actually got a bit light headed along with the low back strain. But I'm actually surprised it is a strain, because I didn't feel a click or pop. Every time this has happened before - and it's well over a dozen at this point - I've clearly felt the moment it happened and it was just a matter of how bad it was. This time there wasn't a click, pop, or anything. Just a generalized strain throughout the movement, which wasn't all that different from the 375 set except for being MORE of the same feeling. I actually thought when I decided to cut it there and skip my DLs, that I was smart and averting an issue. I didn't realize till later that the issue already occurred. This is the first time that's happened that I recall, usually I know immediately and just have to wait till later or the next morning to find out how bad it is.

Anyway, super frustrated. Going to work on my mental game, and hopefully at least it doesn't affect my hip reach and I can push with my press, bench, and leg press.

Pullups and Chins
    23 and 27 respectively = 50, over lots of smaller sets (mostly 4s and 5s).

DB Curls
    45x8, 55x8x2
    Ab Wheel
    3 sets of 4
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-16-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Yes, Wolf's disease is an enigma. When I hear of situations like yours, (not as severe typically) I usually speculate it is tied to one of three things:

1. A sleep disorder or lack of sufficient quality and quantity of sleep, which in the presence of high physical or mental stress exacerbates an otherwise benign stress hormone/inflammatory/recovery response, resulting in myriad seemingly unrelated conditions.
    2. An undiagnosed and potentially undiagnosable genetic variation that causes mild metabolic mishandling of one or more of the amino acids or other nutrients needed for recovery.
    3. An mild genetic connective tissue disorder that may only manifest itself under conditions of rapid growth or stress adaptation.

It is interesting that your injuries seem to occur during warm up sets or in relatively low impact situations. That leads me to further speculate that 90% of the injury damage is present before the acute event that actually causes a noticable injury.

You have probably heard all of this before. Just ignore my speculation and keep up the training. As long as you can keep progressing during your injury-free intervals, you should make some good gains.

starting strength coach development program
    Hope the back is feeling better, Mike. I suffer from a similar affliction (probably a recurring QL tweak and/or facet joint irritation). Tweaked it pretty bad with a pop in the T12/L1 area right side back in march doing my last warmup set of pulls @ 435. I had been trying a higher hip position in lifters this day and should have been keeping the weight lighter, but I’m an idiot.

Its been feeling much better lately from, i think, just stretching my low back happy baby style before bed.

I know that I’ll be nervous doing pulls for a while, but I’ll be checking your logs to see if you can solve this riddle. Godspeed!