starting strength gym
Page 47 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for your detailed report. It was as if I'd been there. And great lifting. What an inspiration you and Kong are!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Nice work! Looking forward to the recap.
    Thanks Karl, hope you enjoyed the recap as well. Have you chosen a meet to do yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Sick numbers, Wolf. I'm lazy and don't want to go back through your log, but how does this compare to your PR's?
    The 500 squat was a 15lb PR and the 580 pull was a 25lb PR. Happy about both of those, and I would have had the 515 squat as well had I stayed tight. Bench was disappointing. I did 365 several times in training, easily, and a pretty easy 375 as well. I thought I'd have a definite 380 and a decent shot at 390, but I didn't make the necessary adjustments to the bench change. And hurt my shoulder to boot. I'm still pissed about it, but it's just fuel on the fire for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Mounsey View Post
    Nice job Wolf, can't wait to hear all about it.
    Thanks Gillian! Hope you liked the recap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Mike you were awesome at the meet. I learned so much just by talking to you and watching you lift...and you are a thick mother. You make me want to grow A LOT.
    You were awesome too, my large friend. I'm glad we got the chance to hang out and do the meet together. Hopefully the first of many.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    That's what she said...
    Lol. I'm a sucker for a good that's what she said, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    Damn that 500 squat went up so easy, I thought you had 515 in the bag. Good lifts man.
    It was easy, relatively speaking. I had 515, I just didn't stay tight and went a bit too deep. I know I'm strong enough to do it with correct form. It'll fall soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mariawolters View Post
    Thanks for your detailed report. It was as if I'd been there. And great lifting. What an inspiration you and Kong are!
    Thanks Maria, you're too kind!

Default Back to the Gym

Very easy lift today to get re-acclimated to training and start rehabbing my shoulder. It appears to be some inflammation or a minor strain of the rotator, which happened during my first bench attempt - you can see something give and I pretty much stop being able to apply force to the bar. I believe the sudden external rotation with 365 caused the strain. It's a very good thing the spotters were on their game - it wouldn't have been pleasant otherwise:

Considering that's what happened, I'm impressed I was able to hit the 365 10 minutes later, and almost make 375 10 minutes after that. Anyway, had to deal with the fall-out today, meaning only light upper body stuff for rehab, and couldn't get my shoulder into low bar position so only high bar squats. That wasn't comfortable either, but I was able to do some.

Squat - all high bar with a wider grip than I usually do for high bar, probably a bit wider than my low bar grip, even.
    45x8x2, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 215x5, 245x3
    Not hard, but my shoulder wasn't thrilled at this point, so didn't push it. I probably should have warmed up on the rower and then done the rehab pressing FIRST. Oh well.

Press - empty bar, rehab for shoulder
    45x12x3
    Easy, felt better and better the more I did, which is a good sign. Yesterday I did 1-arm presses for 3x20x3 and then 10x12x3 with the left arm only. Graduated to the barbell today, and felt good.

Lat Pulldowns
    70x12, 100x12, 120x12x2
    Felt my shoulder wasn't ready for chins, so did some lighter weight pulldowns for more volume.

Overall the shoulder feels better the more I use it, as long as I don't put it in the positions it doesn't like. It'll probably be fine quite soon, and I think I'll be able to low bar by Friday, but we shall see.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-04-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Wolf,

Great work at the meet. It is awesome to see all of your hard work pay off with some big numbers. I am sorry to read about your shoulder injury. I am sure you will bounce back fast.

Great job at the meet and congrats on making/surpassing your total goal. Your lifts looked strong I can't believe that 515 didn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Wolf,

Great work at the meet. It is awesome to see all of your hard work pay off with some big numbers. I am sorry to read about your shoulder injury. I am sure you will bounce back fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Great job at the meet and congrats on making/surpassing your total goal. Your lifts looked strong I can't believe that 515 didn't go.
    Thanks guys. The shoulder is still healing, but coming along pretty fast so can't complain. I know - I definitely SHOULD have have that 515. I just let it push me down a bit too far. Another attempt and I'd have had it.

Felt like shit today. Not sick or anything, but for some reason lunch digested at a snail's pace and was still very much in my belly while lifting today, and I even had a bit of acid reflux, which I never, ever have. Shoulder better than Tues but still not near 100%, and my erectors were also fatigued as piss. I'd have thought they'd be fine by today, maybe I should have made a point to roll more this week while I rested, or maybe they're so used to work that NOT working bothers them. Who knows. Anyway...

Press - Shoulder rehab
    45x5x2, 60x5, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 125x5x2, 95x10
    Just built up the weight to the point where it felt right. 125 was it. Then a 95x10 back off.

Squat
    45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5, 295x5
    Did these after pressing today, so shoulder would be warmed up, in hopes of getting a pain-free high bar or maybe low bar. Was able to low bar with a grip ~3 inches wider than my usual. Just did a bunch of sets of 5, ramping to a 295x5 top set. No belt. Not hard, but erectors were fatiguing some from the get-go.

Lat Pulldowns
    100x10, 125x10, 140x10x2
    Shoulder still didn't feel quite ready for BW chins, so went higher volume on the pulldowns. Done chin-style.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x2, 215x2
    I ate lunch at 11:45. It was 3:15 by the time I started these. Lunch was still bloating up my belly. So weird, but made it very uncomfortable to get down into the pulling position. Ha - maybe today would have been an appropriate reason to set up in the knees-forward vertical torso style pull (I kid, I kid). Dropped reps from 3 to 2 because of how uncomfortable the bottom position was. The 215x2 was probably the ugliest set I've done in months. Just felt awful. Could have continued going up but that was my signal to call it a day.

Dan John would call this one of the "punch the clock" workouts. I did it. It's over. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Ha - maybe today would have been an appropriate reason to set up in the knees-forward vertical torso style pull (I kid, I kid).
    Whew! You had me worried there for a second, haha. I think I mentioned this on your blog, but I like your deadlift setup a lot, and I actually learned from it. Not sure if I congratulated you on your meet, but I really enjoyed watching it. Hope the shoulder heals quickly :-)

Sorry I gave you my shoulder germs. 0_o

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Really inspirational, Wolf--great job! The fact that you smashed your goal even with the bench issue shows how dialed in you've been. I really hope I'll be able to catch you in NY to train sometime.

P.S.--You never get acid reflux? Screw you--I have a bottle of tums within arm's reach in the bedroom.