starting strength gym
Page 50 of 443 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Feeling stronger/recovered and shoulder doing better today.
    Rolled erectors on double LAX balls for 2-3mins first.

Squat
    Press 45x5x2 to warm up the shoulder. Then 45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x5, 385x5, 405x5, 435x2
    Ho-hum, felt fine. Last rep of the 405 and 435 set got a bit forward, but not terribly. Was able to move grip in 1 finger width since Monday. Still about 1.5 inches to go on each side to get back to pre-injury grip width.

Press
    45x5, 75x5, 105x5, 135x5, 165x5x2, 95x10
    Still going up slowly to rehab the shoulder. Felt good today. Also using this forced de-load opportunity to work on my olympic style press. While it's looking much, MUCH better than the last time I saw it - more hip involvement and some semblance of using the bounce - still needs plenty of work. I take comfort in knowing that just about everyone who strict pressed for a long time also had trouble transitioning to the olympic press. As Starr wrote in his article on the topic:
    For those who had been in the sport for some time, the transition from power pressing to adopting the more dynamic style was more difficult. Old keys and habits had to be discarded and replaced with new moves.
    Video of Set 1 (starts mid-way through the set):
    Video of Set 2:

Chins
    5,5 - didn't feel good on the shoulder yet at the bottom/hanging position so switched to pulldowns

Pulldowns
    160x10, 180x8, 180x7

Got any tips for transitioning? Or what have you read short of buying the new SS on how to learn to do it?

I always end up trying to just hip drive but it just ends up being me laying back and my lowback hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Probably passed 'em right to me during that hand-off!! How is your rehab coming?
    It's coming. I've been getting adjustments, ultrasound and laser therapy for a few weeks now. I've done a couple pressing sessions since the meet. So far so good but you know I have to be sure. Texted with Matt today and an MRI is going to be the next step. I have an ortho appointment on Monday. Hoping for a non-surgical outcome. My chiro is hooking me up with a script for an MRI. So by next week, I should have a pretty clear picture of what's going on with the shoulder and what it will take to mend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Got any tips for transitioning? Or what have you read short of buying the new SS on how to learn to do it?

I always end up trying to just hip drive but it just ends up being me laying back and my lowback hates it.
    Don't know if this qualifies as a tip but just a lot of practice with a de-loaded weight. I can't tell you how many empty bar sets and reps below 50% of my 1RM I've done. Along with the mid-way step of doing the hip movement/action without pressing to get a sense of the timing and bounce. This is shown somewhere in the Press 2.0 video. All this stuff was necessary for me because as weight started to approach and pass 155 or so, I would have trouble getting my hips involved. The ingrained habit to strict press would take over at that point and I'd barely get any hip involvement. I've gotten to the point where I have some hip involvement and have gotten the timing of the bounce somewhat, even at heavier weights. But now, above 185 or so, it starts to revert. I've moved the needle and am doing it better at heavier weights, but still need plenty of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    It's coming. I've been getting adjustments, ultrasound and laser therapy for a few weeks now. I've done a couple pressing sessions since the meet. So far so good but you know I have to be sure. Texted with Matt today and an MRI is going to be the next step. I have an ortho appointment on Monday. Hoping for a non-surgical outcome. My chiro is hooking me up with a script for an MRI. So by next week, I should have a pretty clear picture of what's going on with the shoulder and what it will take to mend it.
    Hopefully the MRI will show what's wrong. A 440 bench is strong as hell. I'd love to see you hit 500. My rotator is getting better daily. Still a ways to go, I'm hopeful I'll resume some light benching again the week after next.

Friday, 12/14/12

Squats
    Press 45x8x2 to warm up shoulder. Then 45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 385x1, 435x5
    Treated today like a TM-Intensity Day with a slight deload. Went up a bit easier than I expected, though I could tell I pushed more with my right leg on reps 4 and 5. Probably due to my constantly twingy left TFL. No prob though. Grip was same width as Wednesday, couldn't move it in.

Press
    45x5, 75x5, 105x5, 135x5, 165x5, 175x5, 115x10
    Shoulder feeling better each day so went up 10lbs to 175. Felt fine. Frustrated at the slow speed of full comfortable ROM returning, but strength returning is ok - 175 was no problem.

Power Cleans
    45x3, 135x3, 165x3, 195x3, 225x3, 235x3
    Well....shiiiiiiiiiiit. I had hit a really good stride before the meet. My cleans were better than they'd ever been, and the 240x3 was EASY. I took just a tiny bit of time away from them and they got all sloppy again. Got video footage of the last 3 sets and they were pretty ugly. My old bad habits kept creeping in, primarily jumping too early. Ah well I'm sure I'll get it back with consistent work.

Got to lift with my buddy Joe today, which was great. Joe is a trainer as well and I've known him for 6 years. Though not an SS devotee, he's knowledgeable and is interested in competing after coming to spectate at my meet the other week. Did his first ever low bar squats today, and he did fine. Up to 155, only because his shoulder is problematic and he didn't want to do any more sets before taking a day to see how his bum shoulder reacts to the position. I told him he was being a puss, but he insisted on being conservative. He'll be at 225 within a couple weeks.

Footage of yesterday's horrid cleans. Now that I've seen them, no wonder they felt so off. Pretty brutal. I was on such a roll before the meet, too. Will have to get my PC Mojo back.

PC's are the most frustrating things. I don't snatch, so maybe those are worse, but every time I started to feel good about my cleans the very next session would suck balls. Any amount of extra time off would inevitably lead to a crap-ass PC day.

I guess my cleans must still REALLY suck. I don't see anything wrong with yours. (sigh)

I see some slightly bent arm pulls and jumping backwards every. single. rep.

They're not as horrible as I made them out to be, but I was in such a groove where they were going really, really well and felt so smooth. The cleans I did last Monday, and the ones Friday in the video,are a big step back from what I was doing before the meet.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess mine are just worse, haha...