starting strength gym
Page 64 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Absolutely shit day today. Probably due to short and interrupted sleep last night. Good thing it's recovery day, because I felt tight and weak on everything.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5x2, 185x5, 225x5x2
    Squat Notes: Felt very tight, not sure I got to depth on my initial empty set and felt tight getting down there, and in the shoulders/grip, throughout. Everything felt heavy, my knees were a bit achey, and I was off my groove, so I stayed lighter. Friday will be better.

Bench Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x5, 195x5
    Bench Notes: First time attempting flat bench in about a month. Definitely better than last time I tried, but shoulder is still not ready to bench.

Chins

Conditioning
    Old man runs: 1 min walk/1 min run x 5: started at 5.6, finished at 8.0. Then one 30 second run @ 9.0.
    Will do 200's, faster, on Friday.

Solid Intensity Day today. I think.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x1, 405x1, 445x5 - PR
    Squat Notes: I'd really like to say this is a PR a lont time coming, but I'm a little unsure if I hit depth on my last rep. Ugh. I'll have to think about it, but may repeat next week. Also, my nose started bleeding sometime around the 3rd rep (again, this also happened on 2/15 when I missed the 5th rep @ 435. Damn super dry air, courtesy of NYC radiators.), and feeling and seeing the blood drop drop drop onto the floor right in front of me distracted me some, despite my best efforts.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 175x1, 200x5 - PR, 215x1x2 (2 singles)
    Press Notes: Felt solid. Have video, will post once it's processed.
    Video:

Power Cleans
    135x3, 160x3, 185x3, 210x3, 225x3, 235x3x4 (4 sets of 3)
    PC Notes: Still not hitting my old PC stride. I feel as if I'm not getting full extension, and am also jumping back 1-2 inches regularly to catch the bar.

Standing EZ Curl Tricep Extensions
    55x15, 65x12, 10
    Notes: Did these standing this week. Added a set, and 10lbs for the last two sets. Assuming the EZ Curl bar weighs 25lbs, I don't really know.

Conditioning
    200m run/1:30 rest x 5: Increasing speeds starting at 7.0, finishing at 8.2. Still very slow.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-08-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added video

Congrats on a nice looking press PR :-)

EZ curl bars typically weigh 15 pounds, or 7 kilos.

Nice PRs Wolf. Strong day of lifting. That's a pretty mature looking press that you have. I'm jealous.

Looking again, I think some knee may have gotten into my presses. Need unbiased opinions...tell it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Looking again, I think some knee may have gotten into my presses. Need unbiased opinions...tell it like it is.
    1 and 5 are practically push-presses. 2-4 looked pretty strict.

Almost didn't train today, but got 'er done did. Long story short: stepped on a shard of glass with my left foot on Thursday, didn't realize it till Friday night, foot hurt like hell by Saturday morning. Went to urgent care and got it removed, but when the lydocaine wore off around 3:30 Saturday, I was in some serious painage. Josh, Shelley, and Nick can verify. It still hurt like a mofo yesterday, couldn't put too much pressure on it. It was better this morning but still a little sensitive, so I wasn't sure I'd lift.

Compounded by my right knee bothering me, most likely due to putting almost all my weight on my right leg for the previous ~60 hours. So right knee was tender, right inside the patella.

I decided to go to the gym, start warming up, and decide based on that. Worst come to worst, I could just leave and come back tomorrow for perhaps an abbreviated volume day on a Tues/Fri schedule. But it went OK so I stayed with it.

Squat
    Work sets @ 385x5x5
    Squat Notes: Still battling some knee slide, but otherwise fine. Rested ~5 minutes, maybe 6 before final set. Erectors were beaten into the ground after the 5th set.

Press
    Work sets @ 195x5x3
    Press Notes: This ties my all time volume PR for presses. 3rd set got pretty rough. ~4-5 mins rest.

Deadlift
    Work set @ 495x5 - PR
    DL Notes: Erectors were still absolutely fried so warmups felt heavy. Work set felt heavy too, but I just kept pulling. My hook was in danger of failing at the top of the 5th rep, first real issue I've had with it. Was very tempted to do 500x5 because that would be cool, but stuck to my plan.

Deadlift Vid below. Plates are 25kg. I could use better squeeze up before each pull.

Ended up being a satisfying VD despite the challenges.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-11-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added video

Default TM Recovery/Knee Slide Therapy Day

I didn't post squat videos from VD on Monday (385x5x5) but knee slide has not improved. It has been happening to a greater or lesser extent every rep. Making the reps harder and my knees a bit unhappy. I knew I had nailed it down prior to the Dec 1 meet, but it's been back since I started squatting again post back injury.

Steve Hill was nice enough to spend some time on the phone with me yesterday, giving me some good ideas for new strategies to fix it, since I hadn't been able to coach myself out of it to this point. Though the weights were light today for Recovery Day, my knee slide was mucho improovo. Some reps were perfect, some were not, but all reps were better than any rep the past few Mondays and Fridays.

Squat - comments about knees refer to the set as a whole, individual reps may vary slightly.
    45x5x2 - a little creaky but not as bad as last Weds. Just getting loose.
    135x5x2 - Started being the Knee Nazi. Absurd focus on sitting back once I was about 1/2 way down. Video shows good knees.
    185x5 - good knees
    225x5 - good knees
    275x5 - good knees
    315x3 - slight movement. much less than Monday.
    365x1 - a little more movement. Not as good as I wanted.
    365x2 - about the same as 365x1

So I kept it together reasonably well. Though slight degradation began @ 315, even 365 was still much better. Though 365 is only about 80% of my current 5RM, so I'll need to translate this into VD multiple work sets @ 80-90% of 5RM, and ID sets that are actual 5RMs or very close.

Will post some vids once they're uploaded.

Chins
    Main thing was to get 9 on each of the first 3 sets. Did 6 the last set to add 1 rep more total volume than last week ( 4 sets of 8).

Conditioning
    More beat Weds than Fri so continuing Old Man Runs on Weds.
    1 min walk/1min run x 5, starting at 5.5, finishing at 8.2. Then a final 30s @ 9.2.

Though I wouldn't classify myself as in great conditioning shape by a long stretch, I've built that base back up. You know, the one that sucks the most to regain every single time you stop doing any conditioning. I've been slow about it, but it's definitely back now.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-13-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: mixed up squat sets

I can't wait until post-tax season, so that I can come and lift with you kids on a Saturday :-(

starting strength coach development program
    Steve Hill was nice enough to spend some time on the phone with me yesterday, giving me some good ideas for new strategies to fix it, since I hadn't been able to coach myself out of it to this point. Though the weights were light today for Recovery Day, my knee slide was mucho improovo. Some reps were perfect, some were not, but all reps were better than any rep the past few Mondays and Fridays.
    I suffer from the exact same knee slide. I'll fix it and it always creeps back in, with severity varying from rep to rep. Care to share any pointers learned about fixing it?