starting strength gym
Page 65 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I swear I am not a total computer idiot, but I have no idea how to do actual video editing. Someone pm me and help so I can make the music better and cut out the unnecessary parts of these vids. Anyway, compare today to Monday. Knees are generally much better today:

Today: 135x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 365x1, 365x2

Monday: 385x5x5

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I suffer from the exact same knee slide. I'll fix it and it always creeps back in, with severity varying from rep to rep. Care to share any pointers learned about fixing it?
    Of course.

The first, and most important point, which you no doubt already know, but in case anyone reads this who doesn't know: everyone needs a coach, to a greater or lesser extent. No athlete or coach is immune from having issues with their lifts. And no matter how good of a coach you might be, you can't watch yourself in real time, and yell appropriate cues at yourself based on those observations. Videos help, but they're not the same because you can't correct anything until the next set. Not only have you missed the chance to fix some reps, but 1. That might be the only set you have (i.e. a 5RM on TM Intensity Day) and 2. Doing more reps that way may further establish the bad habit.

Further, I personally get stupid when I watch my own videos. I just can't help but be biased and am not as good at watching and analyzing my own videos as I am for others. I'm getting better at this, but still not equal.

Now, onto the substance.

In the past, I've fixed this issue using two main "thought cues."
    1. The Master Cue (see book for details)
    2. Thinking Knees OUT throughout the entire descent.

Sometimes one, sometimes the combination of both of these, would help solve my knee slide issues, which I suspect are primarily a result of having high bar squatted for years before learning and switching to the low bar style.

In this case, I was doing both of those things and they weren't helping much. I had managed to not get so far forward that my weight shifted onto my toes (which has happened in the past), but was still showing clear knee slide, losing hamstring tension (and thus involvement in the movement) at the bottom, as well as displacing the bar 1-2 inches forward of the mid-foot.

Steve, I believe correctly, traced the root of this iteration of the problem to my back injury. I had a pulled muscle in my deep right lower back, that took about 2 months to heal fully (late Dec to late Feb). When lifting, the muscle was most bothered by deadlifts, but the bottom of squats made me nervous too, even though I never felt it as much during squats.

We believe I fell back into the knee slide, which I had previously eradicated, as a protective mechanism for my lower back. I was trying to artificially create a more vertical back angle to reduce the moment arm from bar to hurt low back muscle. This created a strong habit and pattern that my normal self-cueing didn't fix.

I won't bore you by relaying the entire 30 minute conversation, but what worked today (other than a few reps) was getting my knees forward first and then exaggerating the lean-over in my own mind. At the top of each rep, I would just think "lean WAY over!" And to be honest, after a couple months of knee slide, it felt weird. I felt so horizontal and as if I was sitting back way too far. But it worked, and I got more used to it as the sets went on. I could feel it more as "mid-foot" rather than "back" after a while.

Im with you on that biased with your own vids. I swing from either 'that was fucking great' to 'oh dear.' There is no inbetween haha!

Much better with the knee slide Wolf, great job man.

Hey Wolf, Thanks so much for taking the time to write this detailed reply. I'll adopt the master cue and knees out hard as my thought cues and see how that goes. And I absolutely agree with you regarding the need for coaching & third party video analysis. Thanks again!

Wolf, much improvement my man. Your 495x5 deadlift was solid, and your knee slide is looking less apparent when you focused on it. For your 200x5 Presses, why are you only performing some and not the others olympic style?

Like many, I performed strict presses for a long time before being introduced to the new style of pressing relatively recently. Those who learn the press this way tend to pick it up quickly if coached well, but something a lot of us have noticed is that those who strict pressed for a long time had more trouble adapting to the new style.

I've used different strategies to increase my skill at the Press 2.0, without having to do a big de-load and not actually do a heavy press for months, which is not optimal for my training. I started doing the new press for my lighter warmups. As I got better - which took an awfully long time - I started doing it for all my warmups. As I further improved, I started doing it for the first rep of my work sets as well.

Now I do it for the first rep of the work set, and often the last rep as well, when I feel the stretch reflex of the strict press won't be enough to get the rep. The purpose, which has succeeded slowly but surely, is to continue to progress and add weight to the press while simultaneously continuing to improve in the form of the Press 2.0, eventually moving all reps of all sets to the new style.

I came up with the specific protocol from my own trial and error, but it was sparked by a conversation I had with Stef on the subject during the SS Coaches Conference in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I won't bore you by relaying the entire 30 minute conversation, but what worked today (other than a few reps) was getting my knees forward first and then exaggerating the lean-over in my own mind. At the top of each rep, I would just think "lean WAY over!" And to be honest, after a couple months of knee slide, it felt weird. I felt so horizontal and as if I was sitting back way too far. But it worked, and I got more used to it as the sets went on. I could feel it more as "mid-foot" rather than "back" after a while.
    This sounds like it might help me a lot. Thanks.

The thing I saw in the vids was something I see in my vids (which by the way, every time I watch a vid of my own, I think, "That was terrible", or "My calves suck", or "I really need bigger thighs", or "what's up with my hair...I need a haircut", I'm very hard on myself like that...but I digress.)

Look at the Today video. Look at the distance of the plates to the edge of the video frame when you are standing up and look at them when you are at the bottom of the squat. Yep, I do that too...ALL THE TIME...I only get better but I never ever really fix it. Hamburgerfan has it down to a science..on his side profile shots, that bar path is perfectly vertical from top to bottom to top.

The knee slide looks to be better controlled now. The challenge will be maintaining that control at higher percentages of teh max.
    Last edited by Dwayne_KONG_Wint; 03-14-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added other things I think about when I watch my youtube channel; meant "look at today video"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    The thing I saw in the vids was something I see in my vids (which by the way, every time I watch a vid of my own, I think, "That was terrible", or "My calves suck", or "I really need bigger thighs", or "what's up with my hair...I need a haircut", I'm very hard on myself like that...but I digress.)

Look at the Today video. Look at the distance of the plates to the edge of the video frame when you are standing up and look at them when you are at the bottom of the squat. Yep, I do that too...ALL THE TIME...I only get better but I never ever really fix it. Hamburgerfan has it down to a science..on his side profile shots, that bar path is perfectly vertical from top to bottom to top.

The knee slide looks to be better controlled now. The challenge will be maintaining that control at higher percentages of teh max.
    You're one of the most analytical and thoughtful lifters I know, my large and strong friend (no homo). Appreciate your input.

In my case, because I'm squatting with those stupid hex-plates, the plate-to-edge-of-frame test is a little less consistent because the plates spin during the rep and their shape means there could be a difference of about 1/2 an inch or so, depending which part of the plate is being looked at at any given point. That said, it's still a useful tool and compliments looking at the near end of the bar quite nicely.

When I look at the "Today" footage, I see a plate/bar path that gets more consistently and closer to vertical the heavier the weights get. Never gets to perfect, like Hamburgerfan, but gets closer. Which is both a good thing and what we'd expect, I think, less room for error as the weights get heavy. I started looking at the Hamburgerfan's log to watch his squats the other day, but didn't have enough time to see more than a couple sets just before the meet. I'll definitely be back there to check em out.