starting strength gym
Page 66 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wolf, I agree with Dwayne, I'm not looking at the plates, I'm looking at the bar. When Rip was here in December, he gave me a different cue than I have ever heard before. He told me that for me, "knees first" then sit back. It has taken a few months, but now the "knees first" no longer feels strange.

The result of it was this, knees "feel" like they are moving forward at the top, they find their position, I then sit "back" and into the hole, all while consciously shoving my knees out. So the movement is knees first, but knees first means forward and out, not just forward. Really feels tight when done correctly.

All of this starts with TUBOW during empty bar though about 315, then no more TUBOW.

Rip knows some shit about some shit.

Horrible music.

That is all.

According to the kill-the-knee-slide plan Steve & I came up with, I was to squat ~405x5x3 today, ~410-415x5x3 Monday, and then resume with an ID next Friday @ 445 or 450. However I'm a young fool and my warmups felt good WRT knee slide, so I went for ID today. May have been stupid. At least I was smart enough to repeat 445, since I was questionable about depth last week and didn't have a video. Well, I did have a video but I foolishly trusted a human who took it from the wrong angle to see depth. Anyway.

Squat
    45x5x2, 155x5, 245x3, 335x2, 405x1, 445x5 - PR, no doubt about it depth this time. Video will be uploaded when I get a chance.
    Squat Notes: Warm up sets were good with knee slide. 1st two reps of 445 were good, then I got sloppy. 5th rep was a shit show. Slow as hell. Looking at how bad the bar path was on the video, I can't believe I got it.

Press
    45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 175x1, 203.75x5, 220x1x2 (2 singles)
    Press Notes: Pretty sure I was kosher with my knees this week, but haven't checked video yet.

Power Cleans
    135x3, 165x3, 190x3, 215x3, 235x2, 245x1, 260x1, 275xf
    PC Notes: Was feeling a little fatigued and impatient for 3's, so kept going up to heavier weights @ lower reps. I was already pretty beat, but 260 flew up, so tried 275. Haven't attempted that in a good 18 months. Clarked the first one, then caught the second in a wide split almost @ parallel, but was too wide to get up out of. Not too worried about this, haven't been on my PC game lately anyway and I was basically just dicking around at this point.

Torching the Tris (aka Standing EZ Curl Tricep Extensions)
    I'd just like to state for the record that I took these straight from legendary Southern California Strength Coach Paul Horn's "Ten Weeks to Titanic Arms" manual. I highly recommend you purchase this must-have tome, with secrets to put 3 inches on your arms in mere weeks.
    Bar + 45lbs x 12x3
    I forgot what "the burn" feels like. Now I remember. I still hate it.

Conditioning
    C2 Erg: 150m row/1:30 rest x 6 @ Pace/500m
    1:36, 1:32, 1:31.2, 1:35, 1:32.6, 1:28.7

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Wolf, I agree with Dwayne, I'm not looking at the plates, I'm looking at the bar. When Rip was here in December, he gave me a different cue than I have ever heard before. He told me that for me, "knees first" then sit back. It has taken a few months, but now the "knees first" no longer feels strange.

The result of it was this, knees "feel" like they are moving forward at the top, they find their position, I then sit "back" and into the hole, all while consciously shoving my knees out. So the movement is knees first, but knees first means forward and out, not just forward. Really feels tight when done correctly.

All of this starts with TUBOW during empty bar though about 315, then no more TUBOW.

Rip knows some shit about some shit.

Horrible music.

That is all.
    It was Dwayne who suggested looking at the plates, Colonel. You're up too early in the morning!

Seriously though, I've heard that cue before as well - probably also from Rip - and am using it as well. When I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    what worked today (other than a few reps) was getting my knees forward first and then exaggerating the lean-over in my own mind. At the top of each rep, I would just think "lean WAY over!"
    that cue you just mentioned from Rip is exactly what I had in mind. I just didn't articulate it as clearly or as well or as detailed as you did. But that's what I meant, in my muddled mind.

I assume that by "conditioning" you meant 30 minutes of posing in front of the mirror yelling, "Look at dem horseshoes, bitches!" If not, you need to read the ebook again, specifically chapter 57, "Affirmation driven hypertrophy: muscles that feel good grow good."

Paul Horn LSCSC

I'm almost embarrassed to post this video because of how bad the 5th rep got, but hell, you've gotta take the good with the bad. At least they went up.

Squat 335x2, 405x1, 445x5

Press 203.75x5, 220x1x2

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    I assume that by "conditioning" you meant 30 minutes of posing in front of the mirror yelling, "Look at dem horseshoes, bitches!" If not, you need to read the ebook again, specifically chapter 57, "Affirmation driven hypertrophy: muscles that feel good grow good."

Paul Horn LSCSC
    Wait. THE Paul Horn is posting on my log?!? <swoon>

I remember the first time I curled 445; it was shortly after I stopped breastfeeding.

Paul Horn is a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Paul Horn is a god.
    I thought you were just throwing around a figure of speech, Tom, until I saw the director's cut of The Avengers and there Paul is in the extra footage, beating the pulp out of Thor. And those arms...Jesus.

Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-16-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: already posted. I must be really tired

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Paul Horn is a god.
    I'm glad this secret is buried deep in the bowels of Wolf's log ... wait ... uhhhh ... that didn't sound right.

Paul bless you!

starting strength coach development program
    Fact: Paul Horn > Chuck Norris.

Ya, I went there.