starting strength gym
Page 78 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    ; )

Solid work done on ID today. The gym was busier than I've ever seen it on a weekday at 2pm, maybe everyone was getting their last minute workout in before leaving town for Memorial Day weekend. Add in that they were putting in a new (3rd) rack (yes, this is my influence at work), and there wasn't much space. Got everything done though.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 490x2x3
    Notes: Despite not feeling that great prior to training, these really felt solid. Much stronger than 485 last week. Next week = 5 plates for doubles.

Press
    Warm-up to 221.5x5, 240x1x2
    Notes: All solid Had to fight for the 5th one at 221.5, but not an epic fight.

Power Cleans
    45x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3, 240x2x2
    While still not as tight as pre-meet, these were as good as they've been since then. Did re-open a bit of leg bleeders, so will have to watch those.

Gun Show
    Standing OH EZ-Curl Tricep Extensions: Bar + 70 x 12, 14
    Alt DB Bicep Curls: 50x8,9
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-25-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Got rid of that damn communist style notation I had mistakenly used.

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

Nice work Wolf on squat and press.

Noice. You go Wolfie-- 5 plates! Get it!

Those were some really beautiful squats, Wolf!

Yesterday's squats and presses. Bad editing job, I left too much time in before the lifts, but ah well, that's what happens when you do it late Friday night.

Don't know what you're talking about Harry. I'm a starting strength coach, didn't you know. My squats are, by their very definition, perfect. Any appearance to the contrary is the high bar devil engaging in his usual trickery.

Seriously though, I'd like to think my squats are sort of Karwoski-esque, but really they're just an imperfect example of SS form, on which I am constantly working to improve, especially at limit and near limit weights.

Good strong work Mike!

Today's training wasn't actually as horribly shitty as it seems. My abnormal attachment to squats just makes it seem like it was. So I just need to get over it.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 385x1, 425x4,3,1, 365x3,1
    Notes: Was supposed to be 425x5x5. My right knee and left hip said otherwise. I noticed my knee a bit tender yesterday, but didn't seem like it would cause any problems, and the hip just came out of nowhere. Felt a bit tight on the warm-up sets, but nothing more than that. It all just collapsed at 425.

It wasn't so much BAD pain as it was very twingy; and just my luck, the twinge happened just above parallel, where I really need to focus on staying tight. The twinges pretty much made me lose all tightness so each rep was not only painful, but also a lot harder than it should have been, due to a slight collapse into the bottom.

I tried to work through it, thought maybe I'd do 5-8 sets of triples, but it just wasn't in the cards. I tried going down to 365 for some back-off volume, but that still didn't feel right. So I just called it there.

Feel pretty shitty about that, but had to listen to what my body was a-speakin'.

Bench Press
    Warm-ups to 295x5x3
    Notes: Didn't feel like carrying my barbell 250ft across the gym to the upright support bench, then carrying it back afterwards for rack pulls, so just benched in the rack. Fuck everyone who didn't get to use the rack for tampon-ed quarter squats because I was a rack hog.

BP's were fine. Getting harder now, but still pretty explosive. Didn't rest long, maybe 3 mins between sets.

Rack Pulls
    225x4, 365x2, 455x1, 525x1, 580x5
    Notes: Thought Monday's 5x5 squats tire me out, I also feel they prime me for pulling. Doing this without much squatting first - and without much hamstring in the squats I did do, courtesy of falling into the bottom each rep - I didn't feel that well warmed up. I also felt awkward and uncoordinated doing these. I got the top set @ 580, but it was an ugly set, had to take a long time between some reps because I kept putting the bar down more towards the left and had to re-set stance and grip.

But I got them. It's odd. Without any real serious squatting, I barely feel like I trained.

Got guac with my chipotle afterwards, to make me feel better about life. Apparently it didn't work because I was still upset and ran over a little asian lady coming out of the subway at my home stop. Before you get too worried, I'll explain a little for you non NYC-ers: When the subway doors open at a stop, the people on the platform are supposed to stand to the side and let the people off the train first. Then, they get on. Well as you can imagine, a lot of self-centered New Yorkers just walk right on the train as soon as the doors open, creating a clusterfuck of squeezing and jostling as the people try to get off through the same space occupied by those assholes who got right on.

Well, this lady was one of those people. She was a tiny 45-55 year old asian lady, who, as you know if you live here, are tough as nails. If you dragged a diamond across her skin, the diamond would scratch. I'm generally fairly polite and would usually have moved at least somewhat to the side to avoid bowling her over, despite the fact that she was the one who should have been out of the way. But not today. Today I was annoyed and pissed and just ran her over. She started trying to say something about it after I was past her, but I just shouted over her "Get the FUCK out of the way!" and kept walking.

Feel my wrath, NYC!!!!
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-27-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added story

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, boy-- I'll stay out of your way this week. I have a pet peeve about people who don't step aside and let folks off the train...

I know what you mean by My abnormal attachment to squats-- I'll have a great workout but if my squats aren't there I'm crushed.

I still think you should try DL's on ID. It's a great warmup and not nearly as exhausting as 5.5.

Hope your knee/hip thing is a brief and minor nuisance.