starting strength gym
Page 79 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So glad you added that story. I laughed HARD!

Default Weds, 5/29 - Recovery Day

Glad you guys enjoyed the story.

Yesterday was recovery day. Had to rush through a bit cause I over slept my nap (rough life, right?) and had to get back uptown to coach a client.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x5, 275x5
    Notes: Testing the knee and hip. Both better than Monday, but both also still a bit wonky, especially the knee. Rather than wait who knows how long for it to go away, I will wrap up with an ace bandage on Friday and see if I can do Intensity Day or some heavy squatting at least. It would be annoying as hell to have to stop just short of 5 plates for doubles across.

Press
    Warm-ups to 200x5, 210x3, 225x1, 175x5
    Notes: Went just slightly lighter on the 5/3/1 sets than last time, it should still do its job.

Chins
    5+3, 10, 9
    Notes: The first set was done on the bar of the new rack the gym just got Unfortunately I didn't pay attention and it's a fat bar with no knurling in the place you can chin on (the wider area where the handles flare and angle out has knurling of course; I find it frustrating but amusing how poorly designed exercise equipment is.), so I only got 5 before my grip got hard. I dropped down for about 3 seconds, then got back on and did 3 more.

For the 2nd and 3rd set, I moved to the angled handles which almost, but not quite, allow full supination. So they were chin-up-esques. 10 and 9. I did 10 on both, but didn't quite get up all the way and finish the 10th rep on the last set.

Couldn't rest much since I was in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I still think you should try DL's on ID. It's a great warmup and not nearly as exhausting as 5.5.
    Sorry, forgot to respond to this last time. I've thought about it, a lot. My experience in the way I recover from heavy full pulls tells me 5x5 squats on Monday won't happen if I pull a PR 5 on Friday.

At some point in the TM, when I don't do 5x5 every Monday anymore, I may try it. When the time comes, I've toyed in my head with alternating 8x3 and 5x5 on Mondays, or other set/rep ranges that might make sense (i.e. 3x5, 5x3, etc...). I'd be more open to trying it on a Friday when not facing the grueling 5x5 on Monday a few days later.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-30-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Had to rush through a bit cause I over slept my nap (rough life, right?)
    Poor guy. That sounds really terrible. We're here for you if you want to talk it out.

Quote Originally Posted by danradin View Post
    Poor guy. That sounds really terrible. We're here for you if you want to talk it out.
    I appreciate this Dan, you're a good dude. Meet you tomorrow night on Stone Street, so I can pour out my sorrows and woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I appreciate this Dan, you're a good dude. Meet you tomorrow night on Stone Street, so I can pour out my sorrows and woes.
    I would, but the cobblestones do a number of my oly shoes.

A day of shite and a week of shite, training-wise. I train here again Monday, then head off for a week in Wichita Falls. Much needed time away from NYC and in a place I can really train without any restrictions. Very much looking forward to it.

My knee and hip only got marginally better through the week and yesterday, my right lower back started bugging me as well. When it rains it pours, I guess. Given that I essentially skipped my volume squats Monday (did 8 total reps at the weight I planned to do 25 reps of), today wasn't awful, but it still feels that way.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 495x1x3 (three singles)
    Notes: Despite not having Monday's 425x5x5 stimulus, I planned to try 495x2x3 today. I'd been sufficiently solid with my 5's that I thought I might get carry-over despite missing the most recent one. But my knee and hip, though better, and my knee wrapped with an ACE bandage, were still bugging me, and I just didn't have it. Did three singles and called it a day with squats. Couldn't stay tight at the bottom.

On the first rep, the plates hit the spotter arms on the way down, because the racks are so wide that if you're even an inch off center, they'll hit. I think I could have gotten a double that first set if not for that, but that rattled me and I racked it after one.

The gym also got a new, third rack (good!) but moved all the racks to accommodate the new piece, and now 2 of the 3 racks are positions so that you have to stand on the cracks in the matting when squatting. This is no big deal for warm-ups, and even volume day, but at/near limit weights, not having the entire foot on solid flooring makes a big difference. I certainly felt less stable with 495 on my back, I could feel the cracks in the floor.

Also unless I get the one rack I like, there are no good angles to film from, so will be videoing less and when I do, will not really be as useful.

Yet a few more things to deal with until I get my ass out of NYC. But as long as I have to deal with them, I get this ONE time to bitch, and then I have to shut up, sack up, and just lift the damn weight.

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 270x1, 300x5x3
    Notes: Bench Re-LP continues. No hand-off, so was happy with how solid these were. I'll do 305 Wednesday, then switch to micro-loaded jumps.

Didn't want to do power cleans, needed more time to let the cuts on my leg heal.
    Did some hang full cleans with really light weight, since A) I barely squatted and B) I haven't done full cleans in forever. VERY light and easy.

Hang (Squat) Cleans from Below The Knee
    95 x a bunch of doubles and triples
    115 x a bunch of doubles and triples
    Notes: Slow elbows, jesus.

Gun Show
    Standing EZ-Curl Bar OH Extensions: Bar + 70 x 12, 12, 14
    DB Curls: 40x10, 50x9x2

Glad this week is over.

Good luck with your meetings and enjoy lifting in a black iron gym! Safe travels.

Hey Michael,

Stumbled upon your log a while ago and started using kettlebell swings as a warm up to my training. My usual warmup was starting to get a bit stale, so this changes things up a bit and they seem to get my lower body nice and ready for squatting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Good luck with your meetings and enjoy lifting in a black iron gym! Safe travels.
    Thanks Walter. Hopefully these minor irritating injuries won't prevent me from training hard. It would be a real damn shame to miss out on being coached by Rip, when I usually train sans partner and have only my after-the-fact video to help. As of now, knee seems mostly better, though not all the way. Back still twingy but a little better, and wouldn't prevent me from training anyway. Hip still seems like it might be an issue. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs View Post
    Hey Michael,

Stumbled upon your log a while ago and started using kettlebell swings as a warm up to my training. My usual warmup was starting to get a bit stale, so this changes things up a bit and they seem to get my lower body nice and ready for squatting. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Glad it was helpful.

I haven't actually done that in a while due to logistical considerations, but I still think it can be a good general warm-up. Not something you have to do, certainly, but not everyone likes warming up for the squat by just doing 2-3 empty bar sets and then going right to work sets. The KB swing, hip flexor stretch combo is a good way to start too.

starting strength coach development program
    That squat and bench look awesome, Michael! Nearly a 500 for 3 singles squat and 15 total reps with 300lbs in the bench? Fantastic!