starting strength gym
Page 80 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Default Monday, 6/3/13

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got training in yesterday before flying out to Wichita Falls for the week. Not a great day, but sometimes it's about fighting the battle, not winning it.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 375x5, 385x5, 395x5, 405x5, 415x5
    Notes: I was hoping to jump back in and get 425x5x5 today. 375x1 was going to be my last warm-up, but I quickly realized, based on how that single felt, that there was no way I was adding 50lbs and doing a set of 5. So I did 5 @ 375 and added 10lbs per set, for 5x5. It seemed by adding weight in small increments, my body was able to adjust and not hurt as much. So still got reasonable volume in. We'll see if it's enough to smash weights with Jordan on Friday.

Press
    Warm-ups to 210x5x3
    Notes: Hard. 5th rep was hard even on set 1, by set 3 it was really a grind. A long, slow rep. I could tell it was because of my triceps' fatigue, which I believe was a direct result of doing 3 sets of tri work after benching on Friday. Which brings up the point Rip made to Hamburgerfan on this recent thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...891#post682891

A few sets of tricep work did, indeed, almost make me fail my presses even with 2 full rest days in between. I will have to be more careful with the volume of these now that I'm benching weights that are reasonably close to my current limits again.

Deadlift
    Warm-up to 525x4
    Notes: Didn't get the 5th rep. Didn't even try. The 4th rep stalled just above the knee; this was the first time EVER in my life this has happened. I kept pulling and made it, but when I fail a pull, it's always been a few inches off the floor. This was really weird. I just didn't have it today.

I don't want to come across as a whiner, but this is the first time I've failed a planned rep in the deadlift in over a year, and it rattled me a little. I fail reps in the other lifts, not often, but often enough that it's just a part of training. The deadlift has been my ace. Even when the other lifts aren't going well, I can pull. So not getting the 5th rep was somewhat disconcerting.

Sometimes you fight, not because you can win, but because not fighting just isn't an option.

Wolf,

Sorry to see you are feeling a little beat up. Hopefully training down in Texas helps to get you back on track!

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Wolf,

Sorry to see you are feeling a little beat up. Hopefully training down in Texas helps to get you back on track!
    Looks like it did. Had my best recovery day in quite a while today. Some of that is no doubt due to the scaling back of my squats on Monday, but certainly lifting here at WFAC helps too. Knee felt a lot better, about 95%, and hip was better to, about 90%. Both big improvements.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5x2
    Notes: First time I felt un-beat up enough to squat 315x5x2 on recovery day in...I can't even remember. Maybe ever. They were tight and fast, didn't feel overly fatigued in the legs or back.

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 275x1, 305x5x3
    Notes: Getting towards challenging again, but still solid and strong. Rip handed off/spotted me for these and helped me fix something in my grip that I was fucking up. I'm benching enough now that I will begin doing the standard TM set-up and bench lighter on recovery day going forward.

Chins
    Notes: Long exam discussions with Rip between sets gave me some unintentionally long rest periods, so got 10 easily on all three sets. I am usually itching to leave the gym by this point so only rest ~2-3 mins between sets. Long rest made this easy.

Excellent.

Ok, this is a bit gratuitous because it was just recovery day and 315x5 is, well, very pedestrian. But I had to get at least one shot up of my lift at WFAC last night so this is it.

This is my last set of squats for the night.

I’ll try get some better footage up of Friday's training, which shall be performed with the one, the only: MD Student, Nutrition Guru, and fellow Tribesman Jordan Feigenbaum. Otherwise known as Pedophile Stache.

We both may pull 600+ except Jordan will be doing it weighing about 200lbs less than me. Should be fun.

Great session today with Jordan @ WFAC. Tweaked my back a little at some point, before my heavy pulls, which a) made pulls feel not so solid and b) might mean a week or two of deloaded or light pulling. Definitely worth it though.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 495x2x3 (three doubles)
    Notes: Knee and hip felt OK, but still not 100%. Squats were solid nonetheless. Pretty sure back tweak happened somewhere on squats, cause it was bugging me a little by the time I warmed up the press.

Press
    Warm-up to 223x4 (failed 5th after a long fight)
    Notes: Should have had 5, just didn't get myself under the bar. I hang my head in shame after failing the 5th rep. No excuse for this.

Power Clean as Warm-up for DL
    60kgx3, 80kgx3, 100kgx2

Deadlift
    365x1, 455x1, 545x1, 605x1 - PR
    Notes: Did 605 cause I had to do more than Jordan. The little bastard's 600 was much smoother and easier and less ugly than my 605, but he was fresh and I had already squatted and pressed heavy. I am ignoring my 60lb weight advantage for the moment, because it suits me to do so.

None of the warm-ups felt good, probably because of my back tweak, but I still did them. I pulled heavy on Monday too, and only did this today (instead of just cleans) because Jordan was pulling heavy. May take a small de-load next week for recuperation and recovery.

Video of all the heavy sets (except my first set of squats @ 495, which we forgot to film):
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-07-2013 at 05:51 PM.

not a whole lot ugly about that deadlift dude!

"how many!?!" "IDK ABUNCH!!!" "FACK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I am ignoring my 60lb weight advantage for the moment, because it suits me to do so.
    Au contraire mon frere. Strong svelte bodies are a little more efficient in the deadlift than Strong thick bodies. So it was basically a 60 lb disadvantage ; )

It was a great pull after such intense work on the other lifts. Strong efforts!

That was a pretty epic video.

The 315x17 was sick. But he should have done three more!

It sure looked like you were just about done with that 5th press-- you just needed to put you head thru-- crazy. Next time... Nice lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Great training session, Wolf. 495 squat and 605 deadlift in the same workout is pretty damn impressive.