starting strength gym
Page 88 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Damn dude. Bench looks solid. Socks still strong too.

Thanks Dan. Now, if my socks can only pull my squat out of the gutter.

Great job Wolf! Nice to see that bench back where it should be.

Not a bad day, still not as easy as I feel it should have been.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 375x5x3
    Notes: Left hip is bothering me a little today but didn't affect squats much, if at all. 4-5 mins rest; once again didn't feel as explosive as I wanted them to, but still plenty of gas in the tank.

Press
    Warm-ups to 175x5, 185x5, 195x5
    Notes: Might have been too aggressive here. Either with weight selection or shortening rest period or both. Didn't rest much between sets, didn't time it, but probably 2-3 mins. Figured these would be cake as I pressed 197x5x5 pretty recently. Uh, no. 195 was kinda hard. Fack.

Power Clean (DL warm ups)
    135x3, 165x3, 185x2, 205x1

Deadlift
    275x2, 365x1, 435x5, 525x1
    Notes:435 was fine, pretty easy, but I still let myself get away with not pulling up my shins on the 5th rep. 525 was harder than it should have been.

Its all good comrade. This too shall pass.

Don't let yourself get away with it [not pulling up shins] anymore. Discipline yourself. Make the rule: If its not up the shins...it doesn't count. I know those aren't the real rules but if you give yourself some sort of punishment, you won't let yourself do it and get away with it.

Nice work on the bench there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Its all good comrade. This too shall pass.

Don't let yourself get away with it [not pulling up shins] anymore. Discipline yourself. Make the rule: If its not up the shins...it doesn't count. I know those aren't the real rules but if you give yourself some sort of punishment, you won't let yourself do it and get away with it.

Nice work on the bench there too!
    Hmmmm...what kind of punishment do you suggest for reps that get off my legs? More reps in the DL seems like it could just fuck a lot of shit up. Must be something I don't want to do, but won't ruin my training if I have to do it.

Default I Should Just Start Doing Bench-Only Meets

Didn't squat at all today, even light, cause my left hip flexor has still been bugging me. Started with 5-10 mins of foam rolling of that and what feels like my right lateral erectors - the iliocostalis, I'm pretty sure - since they've both been barking lately.

Bench Press
    Warm-up to 325x5x3 - PR for 3x5
    Notes: The PR train continues, on the bench press at least. There was no one around to give a hand-off (that's what she said) so thought I was going to have to do this solo, but found someone at the last second right before first set @ 325. Helpful.

Messing Around With KBs
    Swings: 24kg x 12 x 2
    Snatches: 24kg x 5/side x 2
    Notes: Just something for my lower body to do today, and to give some space between bench and chins

Chins
    Hadn't done these in quite a while, so just did 4 sets of 5. Easy. Will ramp up quickly.

Congrats on the bench PR but sorry to hear that your hip is still bugging you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Hmmmm...what kind of punishment do you suggest for reps that get off my legs? More reps in the DL seems like it could just fuck a lot of shit up. Must be something I don't want to do, but won't ruin my training if I have to do it.
    I think for me it would be punishment enough to not count it. So say I did 5 reps but on the last one allowed it to drift away. I'd only allow myself to write that I did 4.

After a session or two of "missing" reps like that when there is absolutively no reason to miss that way, I'd be pissed enough that I'd make sure I didn't "miss" like that.

That's punishment enough for me. Might work for you too!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I think for me it would be punishment enough to not count it. So say I did 5 reps but on the last one allowed it to drift away. I'd only allow myself to write that I did 4.

After a session or two of "missing" reps like that when there is absolutively no reason to miss that way, I'd be pissed enough that I'd make sure I didn't "miss" like that.

That's punishment enough for me. Might work for you too!
    Damn, man, this is a simple but brilliant solution. Having to write 435x4 would have pissed me off SO BAD. 455x5 tomorrow. Dragged up the legs, you better believe it.