starting strength gym
Page 92 of 443 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice job buddy. Looks like you might blow past your 3x5 squat PR soon.

Wow, FIVE lift Friday. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Nice job buddy. Looks like you might blow past your 3x5 squat PR soon.
    Heh. Only because I never tried a heavier 3x5 once I got stronger than the end of my LP. Best 3x5 is 425, I think, but I was doing 5x5 @ 420 on the TM before I got all out of whack. But as Mac always reminds me, a PR is a PR.

Just went back and looked, and my PR 3x5 is actually 420. At 425 I got 5,5,3. After that I switched to warming up to a top set of 5, then two back-off-but-still heavy sets to keep volume up. Got to 440x5 that way, and then got 445x3 and 445x4 before calling it a day with the LP.

So when I do 425x5x3 Monday, it will technically be a PR, of sorts. Not really, but technically.

What I really care about is getting back in the groove, where I was ~2 months ago when I hit 495 for three doubles without any doubt about getting them, and pulled 520x5 after 420x5x5 squats. At that point, I was probably good for a ~525 squat and a ~650 pull with a deadlift bar. I'd be happy to hit those numbers in september, along with a bench press in the 385 range. That would give me a 1560 total, which I'd be OK with for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Just went back and looked, and my PR 3x5 is actually 420. At 425 I got 5,5,3. After that I switched to warming up to a top set of 5, then two back-off-but-still heavy sets to keep volume up. Got to 440x5 that way, and then got 445x3 and 445x4 before calling it a day with the LP.

So when I do 425x5x3 Monday, it will technically be a PR, of sorts. Not really, but technically.

What I really care about is getting back in the groove, where I was ~2 months ago when I hit 495 for three doubles without any doubt about getting them, and pulled 520x5 after 420x5x5 squats. At that point, I was probably good for a ~525 squat and a ~650 pull with a deadlift bar. I'd be happy to hit those numbers in september, along with a bench press in the 385 range. That would give me a 1560 total, which I'd be OK with for now.
    You will at the November meet ; )

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    You will at the November meet ; )
    Looks like you may just get your wish. Let's hope I can step it up.

Today was solid. Long, but solid. Now that I'm back at/near previous working weights again, I remember what a marathon these workouts are. I will enjoy switching to the split routine next week, methinks.

Also, lifted in my Rogue 1/2" heel shoes for the first time. I liked them. Interestingly, I could really feel the difference most while benching, harder to get into the tight and arched position I'm used to because of the measly 1/4" deficit. Still, good practice for RPS meets where the bench is a bit higher than what I'm used to. If I wear my 3/4" shoes to bench in at the meet, it'll be closer to my training bench with the 1/2" heel.

Squat
    Warm-ups to 425x5x3 - PR (sort of)
    Notes: Didn't feel very locked-in today. Had trouble staying tight and a bit into my knees, but there was no trouble getting any of the reps. As discussed above, this is technically a PR for 3x5, though that's only because I wasn't doing 3x5 when I was stronger than this. I don't think anyone would argue that 425x5x3 is more impressive volume than 420x5x5; still, I'd never done it before.

Bench Press
    Warm-up to 332.5x5x3 - PR
    Notes: Last rep on all sets was slow, and got downright grindy on the 3rd set. But my spotter had patience and let me work through it. 335 is my best 5M; getting that for 3x5 on Friday will be pretty cool.

Power Clean warm up for DL
    95x3, 125x3, 155x3, 185x2, 205x2
    Notes: Didn't feel poppin today but they were ok.

Deadlift
    Warm-ups to 495x5
    Notes: The spot in my back that I tweaked in December, and again slightly in June, was acting up yesterday and a bit this morning, so I was thinking about skipping DLs, but after lacrosse balling it throughout the workout, it felt ok during warmups so I went ahead. Good move, as these were solid and no tweaking of the back.

While I first hit 495x5 in March, making this less than exciting to get back to something I did 5 months ago, I was very pleased with making this today. Because I just did 485x5 on Friday, along with 420x5x3 squats that day and 425x5x3 earlier in this workout. So I was happy with doing 495x5 after all that recent volume of squatting and pulling.

I'll now go back to pulling heavy only once per week. Probably deadlift 500 and 505 the next two weeks, and then go back to alternating DLs with Rack Pulls on my volume days.

Video later, starving and going out to what's supposed to be a pretty great pizza place for dinner.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 08-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Nice lifting, Wolf. Happy to see your training getting back on track.

Wolf is back! Glad you have caught up with yourself. It takes a lot of patience, believe me, I know.

I guess the 3x5 for the squats are working just fine for you, huh?

: )

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Nice lifting, Wolf. Happy to see your training getting back on track.
    Thanks JP. Gettin back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Wolf is back! Glad you have caught up with yourself. It takes a lot of patience, believe me, I know.

I guess the 3x5 for the squats are working just fine for you, huh?
    Patience indeed. I should have taken the de-load sooner, but was stubborn. I needed it though. I'm not quite back where I was on the Sq and DL, but getting close now.

Ya, I'm using the basic LP set and rep scheme just to re-load. Getting further than I did when I finished my LP makes sense, since I built some strength beyond where I was at the end of LP after that. So I'm not going to mash 3x5 into the ground, but made sense to run it as far it it would take me without any trouble and then switch back to a volume/intensity weekly manipulation. This'll probably be the last 3x5 week on squats.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    : )
    I am only OK with emoticons on my log because it's you, Rori.