• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm sure my tense and gender is wrong hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Mounsey View Post
    Kol HaKavod , Adon Olam

HaRosh Mistovev

Nice squats. Millie misses you.
    I'd just like it pointed out right here that Gillian just called me, essentially, God. Thank you Gillian, thank you much! Also give Millie a big hug for me. A Wolf-Hug.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Ani lo yodaat mah omear Gillian, aval ani rotzah l'omeret Millie is awesome.
    Nah, that was pretty good Rori. Kol Ha-Kavod gam lach. Ne-daber ketzat be-ivrit ba-shavuah ha'ba al ha-porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I'd just like it pointed out right here that Gillian just called me, essentially, God. Thank you Gillian, thank you much! Also give Millie a big hug for me. A Wolf-Hug.

Nah, that was pretty good Rori. Kol Ha-Kavod gam lach. Ne-daber ketzat be-ivrit ba-shavuah ha'ba al ha-porch.
    Ani oh-hevet et haporch shelach. ; )

I will speak to my bride when I get home. Millie too.

Weird Jew fest in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    430 looked really strong. You are rocking it man.

I mean, sure, you should be cleaning about 100 pounds more, but that's not a competition lift so who cares? :-P
    Thanks Rob.

Ya, my cleans are pretty lame, relative to my squat and pulling numbers. And I can't even claim to be a poor, unexplosive sap; though I'm no D'Agostino and never had my vertical jump tested and am past my explosive prime, I did have a decent vertical back in the day. Probably around 30-32" would be my guess. Not world beater, but well above average.

The main reasons I don't clean more are that I don't practice the lift often enough (once per week at most) and that I can't drop or miss at the gym I train at. So pushing the weights up - you know, that thing that leads to progress - is not really possible since I can't miss or risk losing my membership. If only CFSBK and SBWC were less then 45 minutes away...

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    well, we have a couple of decent bars at my gym(an eleiko and a what I think is a rogue econ bar) and bumpers, and a bit of a busted up platform and no one cares if you drop weights, as long as you aren't an asshole about it. It's also pretty cheap, for manhattan.

However, you'd have to compete for time in the one squat rack/platform with 5-7 oly guys. And myself. And you'd definitely be the strongest guy at the gym, which I find to be a negative. I am coming back from rehabbing my knee, and I recently got back up to 285 3x5 and got complimented. I was all hsdjhfmxnjhdh.
    Ya, from what I've heard of that place it's not substantively better for what I do. If I were trying to compete in olympic lifting, it would be. But only one rack scares me. At my gym, there's three. Even if none of them are great racks, I have a decent shot of getting one without a wait. And due to the nature of my workday, I usually don't have much time to spare in my workout window.

The thing that sucks is how awful Steel is. It is so close to me, not too expensive, not corporate owned, yet is completely useless - literally unusable - for serious barbell training.

Quote Originally Posted by RoriMegan View Post
    Ani oh-hevet et haporch shelach. ; )
    Good thing JP doesn't speak hebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I will speak to my bride when I get home. Millie too.

Weird Jew fest in here.
    Mac, you know you're welcome at our Jew-fests anytime. Gotta have the token goy to make us look ethnically welcoming.

Good thing JP doesn't speak hebrew.
    I am mildly concerned by this comment. Why do I get the feeling that Rori's coded message to you has something to do with a certain porch that she is forbidden from ever seeing again!

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    I am mildly concerned by this comment. Why do I get the feeling that Rori's coded message to you has something to do with a certain porch that she is forbidden from ever seeing again!
    Probably by the lone english word, "porch," appearing among the rest of the hebrew jibba jabba. Speaking of jibba jabba, this is a good excuse to post this video:

First day on the new split routine. For anyone who might care, my basic set-up to start out is:
    Mon: Bench Intensity, Press Volume, Chins (will become weighted chins once I get back in the groove)
    Tues: Squat Volume, Deadlift
    Thurs: Press Intensity, Bench Volume, Chins, Press & Bench assistance stuff
    Fri: Squat Intensity, Power Cleans

Not very interesting or new, but it should work.

Bench Press
    Warm-up to 340x5 - PR
    Notes: Solid set, despite some potential issues. The gym has two upright support benches I always bench on. One was occupied, the other was broken, so I had to bench with a utility bench in the rack. The utility bench is about 1/2" higher than the upright support bench. It is also not a flat bench, it inclines; with all those moving parts and basically neglect once it was bought, it wobbles a bit from side to side. So between my new shoes and the bench, I was at a disadvantage of almost an inch of bench height from what I'm used to, plus a wobbly bench. At least its a heavy, solid bench so it doesn't slide at all. Anyway, got the thing done. New PR for a set of 5.

Press
    Warm-up to 180x5x5
    Notes: Easy. Didn't rest very long.

Chins
    BW x 5 x 4
    Notes: That's bodyweight times five reps times four sets, for you communists out there. Easy as well, didn't rest very long. Just building up slow and steady again.

Video of the bench below. I did some bridging, but my butt appears to stay in contact with the bench the whole time:

starting strength coach development program
    Solid pressing Wolf! How much time did you cut switching to the new program?