starting strength gym
Page 220 of 443 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230270320 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had the pleasure of hosting the (in)famous Mr. Walter Palmer at my gym for training today. Great catching up in person.

Bench Press
    275x2, 295x2, 305x2, 315x2, 325x2
    Notes: All fast. Focus was improving - and grooving the improved - bar path off my chest to lockout, which I've been struggling with since starting to bench again a few weeks ago. I wanted to use weights heavy enough that I could feel "heavy" but light enough that I could focus on technique and not worry about making the reps. Seemed like I got it right, and bar path felt good. Didn't film any, but Walter said they looked good as well. He did notice that on my last rep, I touched higher on my chest than the previous rep, and the bar path was almost vertical. Might be I need to pay more attention to my touch point consistency, which will help me stay consistent in what I do with the bar after I touch as well.

I'm considering narrowing my grip a bit and touching lower, because not only will my shoulders probably appreciate that, but it will also make it easier to feel the horizontal distance between touch and lockout, and be an automatic cue to drive the bar back. Still thinking about it, we'll see. Lowering the weight is always a hard decision to make.

Press
    195x5x5 @ 8,8,8.5,9,9
    145x12 @ 9
    Notes: Not much to report here. Weight is 93% of my best 5x5, felt heavy by the end but got it done. Did the back-off because my benching was very unstressful today.

Chins
    BWx10x5
    Notes: 4 sets right after pressing; 1 more set at the end after the handstands.

Handstand Fun
    A bunch of wall holds, including a few seconds here and there where I kicked off the wall a bit and held a freestanding handstand. I remember this happened for sure in the first one I did, but the vid perspective wasn't good for seeing it.
    I also did 2 strict HSPUs. Not only was this the first time I ever tried them, but (as I indicated in the past few upper body focused sessions), I have zero gymnastics or inversion background whatsoever, and the first time I ever attempted anything upside down was less than two weeks ago. Today was the first today I didn't feel totally disoriented upon getting upside down, so I tried them. After all the pressing and chinning. And got two solid singles with no trouble. So I guess strength makes other things easier or something (did I already say that?!).

Here's a vid of a few of the holds and the two HSPUs:

Bleeding on yourself isn't as bad as puking on yourself.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0k1sx1s4

Good volume that day.

Quote Originally Posted by afatgoat View Post
    Bleeding on yourself isn't as bad as puking on yourself.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0k1sx1s4

Good volume that day.
    Ya I saw that vid a while back. Disgusting.

Trained with Walter again today. We went much slower with all our schmoozing, but it was a fun time.

Snatch Grip DL
    135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 375x3x2
    Notes: Holy grip, Batman! Felt strong in these today, belted up and the 375s moved fast, felt faster and better than recent weeks. But they're just murder on the hook grip. I hate strapping and have never felt comfortable doing it (literally physically comfortable; not anti-strapping sentiment (which I do have for Novices and early Intermediates, but there comes a point where they're useful for more advanced trainees) but my grip feels weaker and like I'm going to lose it when I'm not actually holding on to the bar myself). But if I'm going to keep doing these heavier, I'm going to need to sac up and strap up. Don't think I can hammer my thumbs with them on Tuesdays and then hook into the mid and then upper 500's for sets of five (fahve) on Fridays.

Clean Pull
    275x2, 295x2, 315x2, 325x2x2
    Notes: Felt explosive on these for the first time since...can't even remember. Probably the summer. Now need to get them back to ~400lbs.

BB Row
    225x5, 245x5
    Notes: Tried a couple different bar placements, and they just feel so damn awkward. Didn't want to keep going, had already done enough pulling for the day.

Sled Push
    One empty - high down, low back
    Nine +70lbs - alternating high down, low back (5) with high down and back (4).
    Done on a 2 minute clock
    Notes: I'm still quite winded from these, but not as near-death as I was two weeks ago. May add a bit of weight.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-13-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Trained with Walter again today. We went much slower with all our schmoozing, but it was a fun time.

Snatch Grip DL
    135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 375x3x2
    Notes: Holy grip, Batman! Felt strong in these today, belted up and the 375s moved fast, felt faster and better than recent weeks. But they're just murder on the hook grip. I hate strapping and have never felt comfortable doing it (literally physically comfortable; not anti-strapping sentiment (which I do have for Novices and early Intermediates, but there comes a point where they're useful for more advanced trainees) but my grip feels weaker and like I'm going to lose it when I'm not actually holding on to the bar myself). But if I'm going to keep doing these heavier, I'm going to need to sac up and strap up. Don't think I can hammer my thumbs with them on Tuesdays and then hook into the mid and then upper 500's for sets of five (fahve) on Fridays.
    Do you tape the thumb or practice hook grip tolerance with anything like timed holds? I have a hard time hooking into the 300's and havn't really found a quick work around.

Have you tried these?: http://www.amazon.com/Schiek-Sports-.../dp/B00117YTSU

I love them for snatch grip deads.

Quote Originally Posted by afatgoat View Post
    Do you tape the thumb or practice hook grip tolerance with anything like timed holds? I have a hard time hooking into the 300's and havn't really found a quick work around.
    I don't tape my thumbs, because the times I have, I haven't found it to help much, if at all. As far as hook grip tolerance, I've pulled my deadlifts with a hook grip for two years now. Heavy deadlifts. Like 565x5, the first four reps of 575x5, and the first two reps of 600x3. And I use them for power cleans, and clean pulls up to about 400 for doubles this past summer. Etc. I've been using hook grip for power cleans since...2008, I think. Obviously those aren't heavy, but it's 6-7 years of hooking in some capacity, and 375 isn't really heavy either. It's the angle of the snatch DLs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Have you tried these?: http://www.amazon.com/Schiek-Sports-.../dp/B00117YTSU

I love them for snatch grip deads.
    Can't say I have. I have a basic pair of Rogue lifting straps. What do you like about these, specifically?
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-13-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Can't say I have. I have a basic pair of Rogue lifting straps. What do you like about these, specifically?
    They're vastly more comfortable & provide a more sure grip.

I've compared them to Ironmind's "sew easy" and Rogue's leather "oly straps".

Please delete, posted in wrong thread by accident.
    Last edited by amsgator; 01-13-2015 at 11:20 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    They're vastly more comfortable & provide a more sure grip.
    I just used those same Schiek straps yesterday for the first time. They seem to cinch up just as tightly as any other pair, but the padding on the wrist section is really comfortable and helps me focus more on the pull.