starting strength gym
Page 221 of 443 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If it makes you feel any better Wolf, I use straps on all pulls except for regular deadlifts. I still hook grip with the straps on. Its just automatic like that. So strap in and then, pretend they are not there...you'll be SGDL'ing in mid-4hundos pretty quick after that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    They're vastly more comfortable & provide a more sure grip.

I've compared them to Ironmind's "sew easy" and Rogue's leather "oly straps".
    Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    I just used those same Schiek straps yesterday for the first time. They seem to cinch up just as tightly as any other pair, but the padding on the wrist section is really comfortable and helps me focus more on the pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    If it makes you feel any better Wolf, I use straps on all pulls except for regular deadlifts. I still hook grip with the straps on. Its just automatic like that. So strap in and then, pretend they are not there...you'll be SGDL'ing in mid-4hundos pretty quick after that.
    I'm going to give the rogue straps another try, and may try the hook grip+straps trick too. Hadn't done that last time I tried the straps (late 2013 I think). If I can't get comfortable with them after a while, I may try the Schieks.

Rough day today. Didn't get much sleep and didn't feel great and have had a headache all day. The workout wasn't really that bad in terms of hitting target weights, but it feels like it was for some reason. That being said, the reason for the lack of sleep was an awesome surprise birthday party thrown together completely under my nose by my girlfriend, and many of our esteemed forum members and SSCs came to celebrate: Petrizzo, D'Agostino, Brent and his GF, RobIs, and Lexy D. The Chipotle burrito cake was a hit, and korean BBQ afterwards was delicious.

Press
    220x3 @ 9
    220x3 @10
    235x1 @ 10
    225x1 @ 9.5
    Notes: Eh. Just didn't have lot today. The 220 triples took it out of me; I didn't have much gas left the entire rest of the workout.

Bench Press
    275x5 @ 8
    285x5x4 @ 8,8.5,9,9
    225x9 @ 9
    Notes: Moved grip in an inch and tucked my elbows a bit more than usual. Shoulder likes it, but definitely makes it harder and also exposes my weak point (triceps relative to chest). Still, I did 4/5 sets at 10lbs more than last week. Tris are fried.

Chins
    BW x 11 x 3 - with stretch reflex
    BW x 7 - dead stop
    BW x 10 - stretch reflex
    BW x 5 - dead stop + very quick hold at top

Handstand Practice - didn't do much here, was exhausted and the headache made it uncomfortable.

Finished with band external rotations.

As a whole, everything sounds great. Get some sleep tonight champ!

As a whole, everything sounds great. Get some sleep tonight champ!
    I got some solid sleep last night, and definitely helped. Felt much better today.

Deadlift
    530x6 @ 9.5
    455x5 @ 8
    425x5 @ 8
    Notes: The 530 didn't move quite as well/fast as the previous weeks' work, but I felt like I had a 6th so went for it. It was a slow rep, about 5 seconds long, with a bit of rounding I wasn't thrilled with, but it wasn't an absolute max.

Tried using straps, per the above discussion, for the back off sets and it went better than last time I tried straps but not great. I seemed to not be able to tie in the left side tight enough (even though that's the side I use my right hand to assist), because the bar would drop lower on that side on my way up. It happened so much at 425 that I abandoned the straps and hooked rep 4 and alternate-gripped rep 5. Neither back off set was particularly hard, which was good. I'm sure I'll improve strapping in as I do it more.

Sled Push
    One round trip, every 2 minutes on the minute
    Did high handles down, low handles back for all
    1 - empty
    6 - sled + 70lbs
    3 - sled + 75 lbs

It takes some practice, the strapping. You'll get the hang and you'll save your hands some wear and tear. Glad you got some sleep; I didn't this time. The struggle is real : )

It takes some practice, the strapping. You'll get the hang and you'll save your hands some wear and tear. Glad you got some sleep; I didn't this time. The struggle is real : )
    Hopefully. It's kind of funny that as long as I've been training, I've avoided using straps so have to get used to them as this stage. How do you ever get any decent sleep? I can barely get any without kids!

Yesterday (Sat) did 8 sets of 3 chins.

Your hustle takes more hustle than my hustle does. That's how I get my sleep. Of course babies take up a lot of the free time I'm afforded too. So we do our best. Lol

Your hustle takes more hustle than my hustle does. That's how I get my sleep. Of course babies take up a lot of the free time I'm afforded too. So we do our best. Lol
    It seems that the bolded may be even more of a time factor than you make it out to be!

starting strength coach development program
    Decent day today.

Bench Press
    305x2, 320x2, 335x2, 345x2x2
    Notes: All moved fast, though the 345s felt hard. I'm using the ~1 inch narrower grip and slightly more tucked elbows. It's tough getting used to, and definitely exposes my triceps as the weak link. However, I am pressing back towards lockout immediately upon touching my chest.

Press
    198x5x5 @ 9, 8.5, 9, 8.5, 9 - focus determined this more than anything else
    150x11 @ 9
    Notes: Felt good to make a 3lb jump here and still have some gas in the tank.

Weighed Chins
    BW + 15 x 7 x 4
    Notes: 15 lbs isn't a lot of weight, esp compared to my bodyweight, but it felt really good to do a decent amount of chins with additional weight.

Handstand practice for a few minutes including 2 singles of strict HSPUs, easier than last time. Would've done more but my nose started bleeding and I had to stop it up, and then ran out of time.