starting strength gym
Page 232 of 443 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's all awesome. Glad you had a good trip.

3 sets of 5 on the DL, huh? Upping the volume up in here...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    That's all awesome. Glad you had a good trip.

3 sets of 5 on the DL, huh? Upping the volume up in here...
    Thanks Rob. I've been, slowly, upping the volume on my DLs since February, 2014. When I could actually train, at least.

Awesome! You've had a great run the last 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Awesome! You've had a great run the last 2 months.
    It's been a pretty good run, and satisfying after yet another long unplanned/unexpected/nothing-I-could-do-about-it setback.

Saturday at Crossfit 615:
    Paused CGBP
    285x3x4

BW Chins
    Notes: Just totally wussed out on the second set, was still moving fine I just stopped. So made up a rep on the third.

Took 3.5 hours to get through tonight. Partially because I trained during the gym's prime time and talked more than usual since I'm always coaching at this time and don't have time to schmooze with the members. And partially because I've done so much traveling the past week that caught up with me, and only ate airport food prior to today's training, so was lethargic, fatigued, and gassed. I hit all my planned numbers in the main lifts, though was disappointed with bench press bar speed and didn't quite get the chins the way I wanted. But all things considered, I'm ok with how it went and pleased with how strong my presses were.

Bench Press
    392.5x1 @ 9, 400x1 @ 9.5, 405x1x2 @ 9.25, 9.25, 355x1 - paused @ 8, 370x1 - paused @ 8.5
    Notes: Left pec right up by the insertion was bugging me a bit. It's bothered me before, hopefully I'll be able to get it under control as it affects bench and chins quite a bit when it flares up. Between this and the travel fatigue, the reps were harder than I expected. I also didn't really get properly focused till I had 4 plates on the bar, and that sped things up a bit.

For the paused reps, just wanted to get some practice since I haven't paused anything heavy with my regular grip since July. Didn't film the 355, but the 370 pause was too short. Which is why I wanted to practice, so now I can work on this. Hopefully this pec thing is minor and I can address it; it's still bothering me now a couple hours later.

Press
    220x3x5 @ 8, 8, 8.5, 8.5, 8.5
    220x4 @ 9.5
    Notes: First time doing 220 for any kind of volume, and they MOVED. Caught an extra rep on the last set because they were still moving so well. That 4th rep was hard, but not an all out grind. Very pleased with this, especially after benching heavy singles.

Weighted Chins
    BW + 49 x 5 x 5
    Notes: Fifth reps on all sets were iffy in terms of chin getting over the bar. Think I made it but not 100% sure. May just move down to 4s next week for 51.5 lbs.

HSPU
    Notes: Had a triple in me on the first set but kept losing my balance against the wall. By the third set, I was toast.

KB Press
    24kgx6, 32kgx6
    KB Push Press
    24kgx3, 32kgx3

EZ Curl OH Tricep Extensions
    106x8x2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-09-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Didn't sleep much last night, had too much to do after getting back and before bed. Felt really tired today and my back was fried, probably from several backless chair/bench episodes in the past few days and from the airplane seats. That and my increasing squat volume led me to implement a program adjustment today, that I had been planning on for a few weeks but with an adjustable start date.

Squat
    45x8x2, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 375x5(b), 415x5(b), 440x5(b)
    Notes: 415 was challenging but very solid, 440 was harder but still have some gas in the tank, especially since it was a bit sloppier (technique wise) than I'd have liked. I should probably start logging RPE again, as I've gotten rusty on gauging it for squats. I think 440 was an 8.5, but will get more attuned to this over the next few weeks.

The (b) indicates belt. More for my own memory/record keeping purposes as I'm not doing beltless workset variants, just logging at what weight I start to put on the belt as I ramp back up. Below 365 was beltless for a long time, but I think I moved it to 385 or 405 some time last year when I was on the gainz train.

RDL
    45x5, 135x5, 225x5, 275x5(s), 325x5(s)
    Notes: Easy, but keeping volume and intensity low the first time I'm doing these in ~1 year. Don't want my hamstrings to be sore come Friday. With increased squat volume and my back feeling trashed, pulling heavy snatch grip deads didn't seem like a smart idea. Until I start cleaning again, I'll probably alternate heavy but sub-max RDLs on heavy DL week, and heavier Snatch Grip DLs on lighter/volume DL week.

Sled Push
    Mish-mash of handles and weights, 7 rounds total on the 2 minute clock. Just easing back into it. Did more of 70 lbs with high handles down and back than anything else. Felt pretty easy but don't think I could've pushed much harder today.

Nice benching, Brosephus. It's fun to go over 400 just in the course of an ordinary training session, isn't it?

Sweet. Pulling heavy AND benching massive weight. The Wolf is back!

Today went OK. I did get all the planned work in, but presses were much harder than I expected.

Press
    251x1x5 (missed the second rep, did a 6th set to make it up) @ 9.5,f,9.5,9.5,9.5,9.5
    Notes: The miss was dumb. I just didn't get mentally focused and get my head in the game before commencing. But after a solid run of doubles up to two at 247.5 last week, I expected these to be easier.

Bench Press
    345x3x6 @ 8,8.5,8.5,9,9,9
    Notes: No hand-off for these today; I've been spoiled/lucky and have gotten hand offs every bench workout for a while now. Was a bit out of practice doing heavy work without one, but got through it OK.

My pec was a factor, but only minor. It felt better since Monday, I think it's a small pull, and is healing well. I was prepared to scrap bench if necessary today to avoid worsening it, but the discomfort wasn't too bad and not making it worse as I went, so I continued. Threw in an extra warm-up set to make sure it was ready and not going to make it worse, before going into the work sets.

BW Chins
    7:45 Density Block - 64 reps
    Notes: Technically one less than last week's 65 in 7:30 at WFAC, but as I wrote about the chin-up bar last week, I think that was an unfair advantage compared to my usual. Compared to two weeks ago's 61 in 7:15, this is about the same pace, just a hair slower. And that was due to the pec strain, which was uncomfortable on the left side and I was favoring that side just a bit. So considering everything, it's fine.

HSPU

KB Press
    24kgx7, 28kgx7, 32kgx7x2

EZ Curl Bicep Curls
    91x8x2

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Nice benching, Brosephus. It's fun to go over 400 just in the course of an ordinary training session, isn't it?
    Thanks Karl. It certainly is, though I have a bunch of work to do to catch you up. You're gonna hit 450 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Sweet. Pulling heavy AND benching massive weight. The Wolf is back!
    I seem to move in a 3 steps forward, 2.9 steps back type deal. If I can just avoid taking those 2.9 steps back...