starting strength gym
Page 234 of 443 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got some decent squatting in today. Concurrently re-acclimating to volume and intensity has been a bit challenging, and I was spent after my top squat set today. But it's allowed me to ramp back up a lot faster than I anticipated, and with - so far - no relapse to the bad pain I was experiencing before.

Squat
    45x8x2, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 375x5(b), 415x5(b), 455x5(b) @ 9, 365x5(b)
    Notes: This was a new PR set of 5 for me about a year ago, so quite pleased to ramp back up to it again so quickly. Could have gotten one more rep, but it would have been a really hard, grindy one. As it was, I needed about 3 minutes before I was breathing relatively normally again and could re-engage in conversation. I was somewhat used to that after ramping up my 5x5 squats, but been a while since I experienced it.

Technique and bar path at 455 weren't perfect, and it still feels heavy on my back. But it went up and there was no question in my mind I was getting all five.

Snatch Grip DL
    225x3, 315x3, 405x3(b+s), 455x3(b+s), 475x3(b+s) @8
    Notes: Basically everything I did today after the 455x5 squat kind of felt like I was in a partial daze, so was glad just to get through these. Based on that and how 405 felt, decided on 455,475 instead of two at 475.

The 475 got off my legs a bit, mostly because I was distracted by hand pain. I strapped in in such a way that the top of my hand into the base of my thumb was bearing a lot of very uncomfortable pressure. I pushed through the set, but had trouble focusing on the usual deadlift things. In terms of bar speed, could have done two more reps, maybe even three really. But I don't think I actually could have with the straps like that. Pain would have been too distracting. Need to get that settled so I can pull snatch grip better.

Sled Push - 2 minute clocl
    2x empty high/low
    2x 50 high/low
    2x 70 one high/low one high/high
    3x 80 one high/low two high/high
    Notes: As I get back into squatting heavier, I am easing up a bit on this. I don't have as much gas after both squatting and reasonably heavy DLing to push on this.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-18-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: flashback to 4/2014

Nice work on the squats.

Thanks, Dwayne. I think the Barbell Gods were agreeing with you, because they arranged things so I wouldn't do volume bench this week. Felt under the weather yesterday and missed my first planned training session since I started back up again in earnest in December. I felt a lot better today, so planned to train. Initial thought was just move everything one day forward and do upper today and lower tomorrow. But after thinking about things and realizing I would've had to wake up really early tomorrow and be in a sleep deprived state to do so, combined with the questionable wisdom of benching anyway, I decided to try to meld it all into today: squats as planned, intensity press as planned, and DLs as planned. Skipping the bench and upper accessory work. It didn't quite go perfectly to plan, but I think it was the right move regardless.

Squat
    465x3 @ 8.5
    475x3 @ 9.25
    Notes: Had a bit of trouble getting into proper position today. Wanted to stay vertical and let my knees slide. This got more pronounced as the weight increased. Was ok besides that, though the 475 set really left me fatigued. I never quite fully recovered from that set, even though I think I could have gotten another rep (would have been a true 4RM for today, but I think I'd have gotten it). Probably just still not being fully back from under the weather land.

Press
    253.5xfx2 -
    230x4 @ 9.5
    240x2 @ 9.5
    Notes: Welp, this was disappointing. But I think it was not being fully over whatever got me yesterday. Last week, I missed a rep because I didn't focus. This week, I just didn't have it. The strength through the sticking point wasn't there. After the second miss, I backed off and did some heavy but below max threshold reps for a four and a two.

Deadlift
    505x5x3 @ 8, 8, 8.5.
    Notes: First set hook; second set 2 reps hook & three reps alt; third set straps. These were harder than usual but far enough below max that I could will myself through them. I was also very fatigued after each one, especially considering I had 2 reps in the tank. Bar speed was good, but they were still just hard and fatigued me.

Skipped my usual back-off set of deficit pulls, and skipped conditioning. Took me about 20-25 minutes to unload the bar and get all my stuff together after that. I was done.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-20-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Had some specific work done on my pec last Weds, and again when I got a massage over the weekend. That and time, and it felt a lot better today. Benched warm-ups up to 225x5, which is where I just barely started to feel it, so cut it there. Also did 2 chins, and just barely felt it so didn't continue. But in both cases, much improved from last week. I hope to resume benching and chins next week, though will wait longer if I have to.

Press
    225x3x5 @ 8.5, 8.5, 8.5, 9.5, 9.5
    185x10 @ 8.5 - PR
    Notes: First time using 225 for any kind of volume is pretty cool. 5x5 would be cooler, but that'll come with time. I didn't really feel fresher/better off for not having benched heavy first. They got hard the last two sets, but never in doubt.

I figured since I wouldn't be doing bench or weighted chins, I'll have some recovery capacity to spare, so did some extra pressing and did the 185x10 back-off set and more accessory stuff (below). Was aiming for what I thought would be a hard-fought set of 185x10, and was surprised to get it with a bit of room to spare. After doing it I thought it was 11, but I see it's only 10 upon watching the vid.

HSPU
    HSPU w/1 abmat
    Notes: The shorter ROM of the abmat, combined with not slowing the eccentric down due to fear of crashing my skull on the hard floor, made these a lot easier even though I was already fatigued from the prior work.

KB Press
    24kgx8, 28kgx8, 32kgx8, 36kgx6

KB Rows
    36kgx12, 44kgx12x3
    Notes: Wish we had heavier options here, but this is it. Harder on my always active erectors than the actual movement muscles here, but wanted to get some upper body pulling in and the ring rows didn't feel good the other week, so just did these again.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-23-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Exciting day today. Wasn't on point technique-wise, but went up to and over 500 first the first time in over 8 months. My knees didn't love it afterwards and I am keeping an eye on them; I have to keep telling myself that it's better to take it slow than have to stop squatting for another couple months or longer. It's hard to purposely slow down when I've already missed so much time and am chomping at the bit to get back, but don't want to have to sit out again because I wasn't patient.

Squat
    485x1 @ 8.5
    500x1 @ 8.5
    510x1 @ 9
    405x5x2 @ 8, 8
    Notes: Generally didn't stay in my hips particularly well for the heavy reps but 485 and 500 were still smooth and fairly easy. 510 might have needed another inch, but hard to say with the camera being well above hip height. Still, I'm very pleased with these numbers after so much time away and such a short time back.

DL
    Warm-up to 545x1
    RDL (1 DL from the floor to begin set)
    365x5,6
    Notes: Decided I'm going to do a mock strengthlifting meet / CF Total on Sunday, so even though it was a last minute change, I DL'd up to my last warm-up today. Followed with some pretty easy RDLs.

Sled Push - 2 min clock
    Empty x 1 high/low
    50 lbs x 1 - high/low
    70 lbs x 7 - four high/low, three high/high (alternating)
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-24-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Awesome. Congrats and glad to see you have made it back up to your lofty weights!

Impressive. I loved the bounce on the bar when you aggressively unracked 500 - 'chomping at the bit'. It's frightening how easy 400+ benches, 500+ squats, and 600+ deadlifts are for you when your body is letting you train hard consistently. With 12 months unhindered training, you could probably total 1760+.

Nice job getting back over 5. The set at 500 looked like you could have tripled it.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Nice job getting back over 5. The set at 500 looked like you could have tripled it.
    Kyle's right. Please at least make it look hard.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Awesome. Congrats and glad to see you have made it back up to your lofty weights!
    Thanks Walter. Though I wasn't squatting, this good run started around the time of your visit - thanks for the kick start!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Impressive. I loved the bounce on the bar when you aggressively unracked 500 - 'chomping at the bit'. It's frightening how easy 400+ benches, 500+ squats, and 600+ deadlifts are for you when your body is letting you train hard consistently. With 12 months unhindered training, you could probably total 1760+.
    Thanks Will. I think that's a reasonable guess. I really hope to get to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Thanks Kyle. I gave it an 8.5. Definitely had a double, and think I had a triple in there too but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Kyle's right. Please at least make it look hard.
    Are you asking for 500 lb tempo squats? Surely you jest!