starting strength gym
Page 256 of 443 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You did really well today. That is a great squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Meet recap. Video to come in a day or two. Short vids are up on my Insatgram @Wolf_Strength. It was great to compete with Dwayne and Tom, and special thanks to Brent and especially Dr. Petreeezo and Nick for traveling quite far to come help handle and cheer us on.

Body status before meet: knee was still very achey, pec felt ok, back felt a lot better - not quite 100% but way better than even 3-4 days ago - but totally untested with heavy weights.
    Weigh-in: 125kg, I think on the money. Maybe 125.1? Heavier than I've ever done a meet but basically unchanged for the past ~5 months.

Meet ran reasonably on time (unlike yesterday, which was way over-crowded and went about 3 hours late). Not a surprise, but USAPL runs a very different ship than RPS.

Performance: 7/9, 702.5 kg / 1549 lb total. A bit disappointed but since this was mainly to get experience in the USAPL, I'm ok with it.

Squat: 3/3 @ 237.5 (523.5), 247.5 (546), 255 (562) - all good. Didn't see but I think 3 white lights for all. Very happy with this considering my right knee pain lately, which was under control and only minor today. Third attempt looked like I had at least 5kg in the tank.

Bench: 3/3 @ 160 (352.5), 167.5 (369), 172.5 (380) - all good. I think all white lights for all three here too. These were solid and fairly easy, but kept it conservative a. To save some erector burnout for the DL (which ended up not helping) b. Since I haven't been able to train bench most of the last 5 months c. Due to the narrower than usual grip I've been taking because of my b/my pec and d. So as not to actually strain my pec during any of the attempts. Given all those things, I'm ok with 380. I will not be chinning for at least a while, and think my pec will be ok with this narrower grip in the absence of chins. Hopefully. If it is, I should be able to get my paused bench back up to 405 and then beyond before too long.

Deadlift: 1/3 @ 275 (606), 290x (639), 290x (639). Hook gripped these, which may have been a tactical error. First attempt looked like a first attempt, but I could feel my back in the tweaked part not quite as strong and locked into extension as usual. Went up pretty fast but I got 1 red light for a soft lockout. Second at 639 was hard, I could really feel my back tweak here, but held extension pretty well. However, my hook grip wasn't solid and I didn't get a good, definitive lockout and got two reds. Didn't have anything left for the third, which I put down before getting it to my knees.

I'm very pleased with my squat, fine with bench under the circumstances, and very disappointed about my DL. My recent training numbers in the DL far exceeded what I did on the platform today. A small % of that is the tweak, but far more is my failure to convert. I need to work on this, and I will. With smarter planning and better execution, I still feel 660 is very close.

I will take 2-3 light weeks before beginning to train in earnest for the SS Fall Classic.
    That DL flight was tough. Your attempts were hardly even a couple minutes apart. If the head judge hadn't made you hold the second at the top for half an hour, you'd have had more juice for the third attempt. It was still an awesome performance, and that third squat went up really fast. Good to see you and the big fellas today. Great work.

It's always impressive to read your log and see your videos on Instagram. Even if you're not 100 % satisfied with all the lifts they're very inspirational from my perspective. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    You did really well today. That is a great squat.
    Thanks Tom. Fun hanging out, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    That DL flight was tough. Your attempts were hardly even a couple minutes apart. If the head judge hadn't made you hold the second at the top for half an hour, you'd have had more juice for the third attempt. It was still an awesome performance, and that third squat went up really fast. Good to see you and the big fellas today. Great work.
    Ya, the attempts were pretty close together and that 4-5 second hold at the top didn't help anything. But bottom line is that my deadlift wasn't where I wanted or expected it to be today. So I need to get it there. I am happy about my squat though. Thanks for coming, good to see you Mr. Black Belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    It's always impressive to read your log and see your videos on Instagram. Even if you're not 100 % satisfied with all the lifts they're very inspirational from my perspective. Well done!
    Thanks, Bergstedt.

Video of all 9 attempts is below.

Squat is obscured because of the 5 spotter rule, but you can see they were all solid and fast. And even though you can't really see my knees, if you've watched a lot of squats you know they're deep (even if you didn't trust the strict USAPL judging). My warm-ups actually didn't feel great and it was awkward getting set-up under the bar in these racks which don't allow me to do my usual set-up. But come the platform, the lifts were there.

Bench videos all started mid-attempt after I had the bar out. The time between taking the bar out and getting the 'start' command was quite long, pauses were very reasonable. I elected not to take a hand-off as they require you use their hand-off person and I've been taking it out myself lately in training anyway.

DLs...well....shiiiiit. I did re-tweak my back, probably on that third attempt, which I switched to alt grip for. It looks like it was still going up and I just put it down for no reason but I felt my back giving out right in the spot of the tweak and I probably avoided a bad one by putting it down. It's about back to where it was 10 days ago, which is annoying but not awful. I will allow it to heal fully this time and that should still give me a bunch of pulling sessions before the Fall Classic.

Good job Wolf. In the long run, I'm not worried about your DL. We know it has the opportunity to be really big once you get the tweak under control. Always hard to judge how hard to push before a meet. Maybe that tough third rep in training was a mistake but how to know these things without throttling down too much? Great job on SQ's and a really solid meet overall.

Jesus, you crushed those squats dude. I think you had at least 10kg in the tank.

Tough break on the DL. Glad to see you back on the platform. Definitely a positive showing in my book and now you get to work towards a healthy training cycle and some PR's. Nice job brother.

Impressive total, Wolf! Why were you having difficulty with the hook on your 2nd? I'm curious because I haven't been able to set mine consistently this summer, and I'm not quite sure why (although I have a few ideas).

Hey man:
    great meet totals, good to meet you. Now let's go kill it at the Nationals.

starting strength coach development program
    Good job, Wolf! It looked like you could have doubled your 3rd squat attempt.