starting strength gym
Page 268 of 443 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It looks like you've made real progress on the squats and deads even with the back niggle - nice work.

You did good man, especially given the casual atmosphere, surrounded by friends and chatting. I'm bummed I had to leave when the deadlifts started but I was psyched to see 650 move so well. I'm definitely doing that meet next year, it looked like a lot of fun.

Congratulations on the PRs Wolf.

Nice work yesterday. Good to meet you also. I've only been to 2 other meets (WNPF and USAPL) and this one was run just as well as the USAPL one but with a MUCH better facility. There were 5 racks for 9 lifters in our heat!

Wolf, it was awesome watching your lifts! Congrats on the PR's, and hope to see you again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    It looks like you've made real progress on the squats and deads even with the back niggle - nice work.
    Thanks Chris. Fortunately the tweak didn't really effect squatting much.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    You did good man, especially given the casual atmosphere, surrounded by friends and chatting. I'm bummed I had to leave when the deadlifts started but I was psyched to see 650 move so well. I'm definitely doing that meet next year, it looked like a lot of fun.
    Shadood The Dood! The casual atmosphere and knowing so many of the participants both on the staff and among the lifters was new to me, but I liked it a lot. I was a bit conservative in my pulling attempts since I really had no idea where I was at, and 650 did move well and my back feels fine today. I was planning to do Nationals next year, and maybe I still will but...damn this is just a great meet.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Congratulations on the PRs Wolf.
    Thank you, oh counter of the beans.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    Nice work yesterday. Good to meet you also. I've only been to 2 other meets (WNPF and USAPL) and this one was run just as well as the USAPL one but with a MUCH better facility. There were 5 racks for 9 lifters in our heat!
    Ample warm-up equipment makes thing so much less stressful in terms of properly timing your warm-ups for your first attempt. Huge.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Murphy View Post
    Wolf, it was awesome watching your lifts! Congrats on the PR's, and hope to see you again next year.
    Thanks, I hope to be there, either as a lifter or judge.

Very handsome lifting, Wolf. I'm glad to see you back in PR territory.

Next year we shall do battle.

Congratulations, Wolf. It was great to see you hit those PRs.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Very handsome lifting, Wolf. I'm glad to see you back in PR territory.

Next year we shall do battle.
    Thanks Kyle. Since you'll out-point me unless I make a drastic cut without losing strength, or you decide to do GOMAD, I better get my ass in gear to at least beat your total by 5 lbs. Which will take some hard effort on my part. Both of us totaling in the mid 1500s would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Congratulations, Wolf. It was great to see you hit those PRs.
    Thanks, Will.

starting strength coach development program
    I did something so unbelievably stupid today that I'm still not quite 100% sure I did it: The American version of Milko Tokola's "Pig Squat" workout. His original version is 20kg x 20 reps, then add 10kg to the bar and drop a rep for 30kg x 19. Continue to do so till you finish, after 210 reps, with a 210kg single. All high bar and beltless. The American Version is just adding 20 lbs instead of 10 kg, so it ends at 425x1. I also used a belt starting at 365. But after all, I'm a 33 year old mediocre general strength trainee less than 48 hours out from a meet where I PR'd my squat and deadlift; not a 21 year old internationally competitive olympic lifter.

This workout was programmed as special weekend 2 hour WOD at my gym a few months ago, and no one even came close to finishing it. The best anyone did was failing on either the 285x8 or 305x7 set. Naturally everyone asked if I tried it, but I was prepping for the NJ States USAPL meet at the time, so said I'd think about it after the meet. But then I decided to do the Fall Classic, so wasn't going to dick around with that at the time.

I still shouldn't have done it for many reasons, foremost that I haven't done more than 6 reps as regular worksets for literally years, and, while I felt better than I ever recall feeling on the second day after a meet, I was still slightly sore in the quads and erectors.

But I've also followed a strict plan pretty much to the absolute T every single workout, 4-5x/week, since probably February. So I just took one single day, said fuck it, and did the thing.

I also did it high bar. N=1 and all that, but it seems pretty obvious to anyone who has actually coached moderate stance low bar squats to below parallel: my high bar squat 1RM was 385 after 3.5 years of squatting high bar 2-3x/week and never once low bar (before that was 1/4 or 1/2 squats). After 3.5 years of just low bar 2-3x/week, and a few months of dicking around with some high bar between sets of paused squats on my lights days some weeks (but not even every week), I can do 210 reps, ~36,000 lbs of volume, and still hit a 425 single that's not a max. That difference is because of low bar squats.

Anyway, what I did, in about an hour and forty minutes:
    High Bar Squat - rehbands
    45x10, 65x19, 85x18, 105x17, 125x16, 145x15, 165x14, 185x13, 205x12, 225x11, 245x10, 265x9, 285x8, 305x7, 325x6, 345x5 - beltless
    365x4, 385x3, 405x2, 425x1 - 3" belt
    Notes: Yes, this was incredibly stupid. Yes, I already feel like crap. Yes, I kind of already regret it, and will probably regret it a lot more tomorrow morning when I attempt to get out of bed. Yes, I knew it was stupid going into it.

Sometimes, maybe once a year, maybe once every few years, you just say fuck it and do it anyway.

https://instagram.com/p/9W32e4GITk/?...=wolf_strength

If I ever get around to it, I'll edit the whole thing and try to cut out some of the dead time between sets. Someone can put the Benny Hill music to it and it'd be pretty good.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-27-2015 at 09:12 PM.