starting strength gym
Page 291 of 443 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301341391 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    His body will be ready soon enough. And that was a solid reference to the first Avengers, haven't watched that movie in a while.
    Movie/TV/pop culture references are my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    I'm glad your deadlift is going so well, be careful of that erector with the larger jumps...
    Aren't you part of the erector sector, Tom??

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

Aren't you part of the erector sector, Tom??
    If it hadn't hindered your progress before the labria tear, I'd be encouraging you to take 50lbs jumps.

Good day today, hit some nice rehab milestones.

Safety Bar Squat
    70x5, 120x5, 160x5, 190x5, 215x4, 240x3, 260x3, 270x3
    Notes: 240 felt totally fine on my shoulder today, which was great after it really was at the limit on Weds. I stopped at 270, but it felt less limit than 240 did on Weds.

PVC Ring Rehab/Press
    PVC x 10/10 x1
    +5 x 10/10 x1
    +10 x 10/10 x1
    Press
    15x10
    20x10x3
    15x10
    Notes: Did the PVC/ring stretch for 10 seconds before and after each press set, but I pressed from the rack for the first time since surgery, full ROM, pain free! I realized that, though the weights I'm using are MUCH lighter (20 lbs vs 145 lbs), my presses at this same point after the initial injury (7.5 weeks) still felt weak and uncomfortable with some pain at lockout. I'm using way less weight now as I work it up slowly as the repair heals, but the lockout position doesn't cause any pain.

I also was able to get into a position slightly beyond (behind) lockout today, for the first time since surgery. Not that I want to get into that position during the press, but it's a good thing to be getting that ROM back, in general.

Squats and Presses on IG

Deadlift
    [135,185,225,255,275] x5
    Notes: Easy, good, fast. Two seventy five. That's two and a quarter on each side, bro.

Kneeling Pulldowns with Posterior OH Stretch
    Green x 12 x 4
    Notes: Easy.

KB Press/Snatch - left arm only
    24kg x6, 32kg x6
    Notes: Haven't done KBs in so long that my wrists were a little sore from the KB impact of Wednesday's work. Still, these were pretty easy.

Good to see things progressing so well, Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Good to see things progressing so well, Wolf!
    Thanks, Dr. P.

Just shoulder rehab stuff today.

OH stretches with the PVC, and 3-4 sets of 10 PVC presses to warm up. Then:

Press
    15x10, 20x10, 25x10, 27.5x10x2, 15x10

Anyone going through an injury needs to see all of this, from how you got strong, to the return to strength after injury and repair.

Aren't you tempted to send the Press video to your surgeon?!

Quote Originally Posted by kfreeman85 View Post
    Anyone going through an injury needs to see all of this, from how you got strong, to the return to strength after injury and repair.
    Thanks Kris. I hope it is/will be helpful for people going through this rehab in the future. My impression is we have more examples of cuff repairs around here than labrum, so hopefully this can add some more info to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    Aren't you tempted to send the Press video to your surgeon?!

Went to to my six week check-up with the surgeon yesterday. It was actually seven weeks but we couldn't schedule the previous week. He asked about my pain levels and was pleased when I said basically non-existent. He asked if I could raise my right arm up to shoulder height. I did so, and paused for a moment, and he started saying how that's good, a solid landmark for the six week point etc...and then I continued raising it all the way up overhead. His jaw dropped. He was very impressed and pleased with my recovery thus far, as am I. I didn't get the sense he was ready for the red-pill, so didn't go there.
    Am I tempted? Of course. I'd love to have a local orthopedic surgeon to ask questions and refer people to, who understands what we do. I didn't write it all out in the post above because I didn't really think there was a point, but there were a few specific things he said that made me 99.9% sure he wouldn't have been thrilled had he known what I'd started doing the 7-10 days before seeing him, and what I'm continuing to do now. Hence, the not ready for the red-pill comment. The chances of him being receptive to what I had to say were/are so low that I decided to just keep doing it without trying to convince him. It would be more trouble than it's worth. If he asks me at the 6 month check-in, I might test the waters out and see, but probably not.

The baby gainz train keeps rolling. Today was my first day doing active/strengthening stuff in PT. I'm still at the point where doing this stuff is helpful, so don't mind doing it along with what I'm doing at the gym. My PT, who is really just a super nice guy, also commented that he's never seen a labral repair get better so linearly for 8 weeks before. I haven't had any day where it was worse than the previous day, and only maybe one or two days where it was the same as the day before. 53 of the 55 days up till now, it's been clearly and noticeably better than the day before. Is there a connection between that, my pre-surgery training status, and what I've done in recovery? I am quite confident that there is.

Safety Bar Squat
    70x5, 120x5, 160x5, 200x5, 230x4, 260x3, 290x3, 300x2, 250x2
    Notes: Shoulder is able to handle more direct pressure from the SSB every session. The 300 today felt less uncomfortable than the 210 and 240 last week. The weight is actually getting up to where I may belt later in the week, low 300's on the SSB feels better to me with a belt.

Press
    [15,25,30,35,35,35,15] x10
    Notes: Did press position stretches with the PVC before, in between, and after these sets. Easy. Will probably do 40 tomorrow and 50 on Wednesday.

Kneeling Pulldown with Posterior OH Stretch
    Green x12, then
    Assisted Chins
    Black Band x3x4
    Notes: Tried doing pulldowns with the next band up, black, but without something to hold me in place (like the lap thing on a lat pulldown cable machine), the black bands pull me up. So I tried doing assisted chins with them, and that worked, so did four sets of three. Felt good.

Deadlift
    [135,225,265,295,295] x5
    Notes: Easy, solid. First set DOH, second set I hooked because it's been so long since I've hooked and wanted to start re-adjusting to it. Wasn't awful but certainly wasn't comfortable. Hook grip tolerance is more like cardio than strength: comes and goes pretty quick.

300x2 SSB and 295x5 DL set on IG
    (If anyone is wondering, I will start to put some stuff on YouTube again before too long, and may back-post some of my rehab stuff I'm only putting on IG for now. I'm considering making my YouTube channel one where I do more of a weekly training recap with some commentary, but don't know what is good editing software for that, as I've always just used basic YouTube Editor and not had any commentary. If anyone has experience and suggestions here, I'm open to em. PM me rather than commenting here.)

Ring Rows - bottom of ring ~3 inches below belly button height
    BWx5,6,5
    Notes: This is a good bit higher than I usually do these, but 5-6 reps was challenging enough for my right arm, so kept it there. I do have full extension, however, and it felt good to use it.

starting strength coach development program
    Am I tempted? Of course. I'd love to have a local orthopedic surgeon to ask questions and refer people to, who understands what we do. I didn't write it all out in the post above because I didn't really think there was a point, but there were a few specific things he said that made me 99.9% sure he wouldn't have been thrilled had he known what I'd started doing the 7-10 days before seeing him, and what I'm continuing to do now. Hence, the not ready for the red-pill comment. The chances of him being receptive to what I had to say were/are so low that I decided to just keep doing it without trying to convince him. It would be more trouble than it's worth. If he asks me at the 6 month check-in, I might test the waters out and see, but probably not.
    Fair enough. It is disappointing, but unsurprising, that he wouldn't be intrigued enough by an obviously strong guy making significantly faster than usual progress with recovery to ask if you are doing anything different from the norm.

Hope the rehab continues smoothly, it's inspiring and useful to see the process documented in this way.