starting strength gym
Page 321 of 443 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331371421 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You guys haven't done an awesome job of convincing me. I'll probably try Luke Cage when I'm done with Archer. Which will be soon.

Also, in case anyone wants to see me Sumo DL a whopping 275 lbs.

This cold has lasted forever. I am now much better than before, but still not 100% out of the woods. Crazy. Don't think I've ever had anything last this long. Plan is to train Tues/Fri this week - light, just readjusting to training. Mon/Wed/Fri next week, ramping back up. And then resume my 4 day schedule the following week, and begin prepping for the SS Spring Challenge at that point. That would be a 12 week prep. I would've liked to have a bit longer, especially coming off a nasty cold and not training essentially at all for 2 weeks, but it'll have to do.

Jesus about pulled a wolf. Stepped out my steps to get mail and feet shot out. Arm darted out to grab railing so as not to smash head on stone steps. Tweaked shoulder grabbing rail and tweaked other shoulder sliding down all the steps. Goddamned ice !

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Jesus about pulled a wolf. Stepped out my steps to get mail and feet shot out. Arm darted out to grab railing so as not to smash head on stone steps. Tweaked shoulder grabbing rail and tweaked other shoulder sliding down all the steps. Goddamned ice !
    Damn, that is pretty close to the Wolf. Be careful out there man!

After getting on for 25 years worth of lifting I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'd rather take the blow to the head than blow a wrist, shoulder, knee or whatever trying to avoid it during a fall...certainly, after nearly 25 years lifting, there's not much left in the head that is going to get lost due to injury.

Chris, coming in with the true lifter's perspective!

Meantime, I didn't train today. I can't believe how long this stupid virus is lasting but I'm just not ready yet. I've been trying to get myself up to train for a few days now and my body just isn't ready. I was just able to walk the mile to the gym today for the first time without my legs cramping up or having to walk at an old man / snail's pace to avoid it. Maybe by Friday I'll be ready to lift. I hope. It's been so goddamn long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I had to look up what you meant. I thought you were saying they'd made movie adaptations already. In the book, it's a novel, not a film.

Either way, the whole thing is very strange. If they follow the book, I'm not really sure how they'll manage the ending. There are some very twisted complications that I never really understood.
    Ohh ok, yeah in the series they have these films that The Man in the High Catle makes. It is very strange and kinda hard to follow sometimes what is going on.

Hey everyone, remember me? After nearly 3 weeks of feeling like shit-on-a-stick, I only felt like crap-on-a-stick today, so decided to get back under the bar. Though i didn't do anything heavy, it was much better than my most recent feeble attempt to lift last Thursday. I'm not back to normal yet but much better than before. Hopefully by Monday I'll be ready to rock and make a run at a 1600 total at the Spring Challenge. It's an aggressive goal that may need more than 3 months, especially after 3 weeks off due to The Plague, but I'm going for it.

EDIT: I forgot the meet will be using kilos this time, so 725kg which is technically 1598.5, would do. 280/127.5/317.5 would do it. Which is 617/281/700. That seems like a highly aggressive but not impossible goal, if training goes well and no more illness or injuries occur during this period. Which is largely out of my control, so we shall see.

High Bar Squat - SBDs, belt from 255 on
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x5, 285x5
    315x3, 335x2, 365x2
    Notes: All moved pretty fast but once I got to 285, they felt kinda heavy unracking them. No big deal, I didn't expect to go up to 365, so was happy about that. Low back didn't complain (first time in months!), and while some other stuff was kinda achy, these weren't bad. Stuck with high bar one more time since I wasn't going to go heavy anyway, and thought a few more days recovery from my elbows/brachialis would be useful before an intense 3 month meet prep with lots of heavy low bar squatting.

Press - belt from 165
    85x5, 115x5, 135x5, 150x5, 165x5
    175x3, 185x3
    Notes: All moved fast, pretty easy. Only 185 felt heavy unracking. Worked on my second layback, which is essentially non-existent. Nothing to do with the current tsunami of a thread over in the training section, but if I want to ever press 315, I'm going to have to lay back some. Because my back has been dinged so many times, I think my body is very subconsciously protective of it. That, and I'm a jewish white guy who can't move his hips. If I can get even just a few solid inches of a second layback, I think I'll be able to get my press up over 300.

Bench Press
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 245x5, 265x5
    285x3, 305x2

Chins
    BWx3x4
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-30-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Default 2016 Recap

Between my shoulder injury, surgery, rehab, and re-building strength I had before all of that, I had approximately 2 months of actual training in 2016. Yet I still managed to hit small PRs in the squat (515x3, 545x2, 585x1), press (230x5, 265x1 - ties previous 1 rep max), and bench press (355x6). Here's hoping 2017 will be a lot better.

Since a lot of people pick up these logs in the middle and don't read back, my injury was not a training injury. A regular, random, unforeseeable and unpreventable life accident that completely tore my entire right shoulder labrum in an instant, left me unable to train in any significant way for a long time, eventually required surgery and 7 anchors, and took a full year to get back to where I was before.

As I mentioned in my previous log entry, I plan to compete at the April SS Spring Challenge. My goal was a 1600 total, which I'd be very pleased with considering it contends the press (and I bench about 150 lbs more than I press). Now that it's in kilos, I'm going for 725/1598. It's aggressive, especially coming off a 3 week forced layoff from training due to illness, but possible if everything goes just right. That would be a welcome way to bring in 2017.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-31-2016 at 11:08 AM.

I'd love to see you create some D'Agostino-like pandemonium with a beastly final pull to end the day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I'd love to see you create some D'Agostino-like pandemonium with a beastly final pull to end the day.
    I second that. Looking forward to seeing you crush through the next 3 months.