starting strength gym
Page 333 of 443 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343383433 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Generally non-SS lifters/PL coaches/internet lifting celebs often say it's important to "bend the bar across your back" and "drive your elbows forward and under the bar" when you squat. The way they have said it indicates that they feel those things are important things to do inherently in the squat. Like every lifter should do them, regardless of how they're gripping the bar and any other considerations. That's how I've interpreted them, based on context and tone.
    That's an interesting interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    That's an interesting interpretation.
    It's also based on a non-trivial number people who have come to me for coaching, who have been to powerlifting coaches whose instruction consisted of those two cues I'm talking about here, plus "look up," "push through your heels," and "chest up." And that's basically it. I know there are much better coaches out there than this but this has happened several times. Between what I've read and heard, and this, I think a non-trivial about of lifters and coaches think this, yes.

EDIT: Real quick search yielded the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wendler in 5/3/1, page 13
    Keep your elbows down and try to force them under the bar. This will cause your hips to drive first out of the bottom of the squat. It'll also keep your chest high and prevent you from squatting with your legs first instead of your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ferruggia
    Try to get your elbows under the bar as much as possible. This will help keep you in a more upright position and prevent the lift from turning into a good morning. How far under the bar you can get your elbows will be determined by your shoulder mobility. Do the best you can without putting any excess stress on your shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Wesley Smith
    key technical points in the squat are…
    1-The closer you can put your hands to each other on the bar the easier it will be to have a tight setup. Make sure though that your elbows are inside your hands to maintain tightness. Using a thumbless grip often improves the comfort of a close hand position.

2-Squeeze your elbows towards the middle of your body to improve upper back tightness in the setup. Once you squeeze them toward your body as hard as possible, force them forward, under the bar. There will be very little movement of the elbow forward if you are doing a good job of squeezing them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Poliquin from Ed Coan
    A very common question that came up during my webinar: how to recuit the knee extensors more? The answer: simply by changing the position of the hands on the bar and the elbows.

If working the quadriceps more is what you are looking for, I advocate the use of a closer-grip on the bar, elbows forward position during back squatting, as this position has been shown to improve the recruitement of the knee extensors during the exercise.

However, many trainees have tight shoulders that prevent this position on the bar or makes it uncomfortable. During a conversation with Ed Coan, he gave me a trick that will make squatting with this position instantaneously more comfortable.

What you need to do:

Take your regular stance
    Use only the 3 fingers of each hand on the bar (not counting the thumb)
    Drive the elbow forward so they are under the bar
    This trick will help drive the elbows forward more and be more comfortable in the back squat
    Link 1 - Ferruggia
    Link 2 - CWS
    Link 3 - Poliquin
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-01-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Light day, no squats or DLs.

Press - dead stop, strict
    95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x4,5,4
    Notes: Easy peasy.

CGBP
    255x5, 280x5x3
    Notes: Also easy peasy.

Chins
    BW x3,3,3,3
    Notes: I was a little apprehensive to try these again, worried about irritating my left pec, which seems to be floating just barely on the side of OK. I did every rep with my feet just barely touching the floor again, so not with a stretch reflex, but also cutting off the last 1-2 inches of shoulder flexion that pulls on the upper pec/armpit area. So far feels OK.

Wolf I have a question about your back issue. Do you think it is maybe a herniation? I did the exact...I mean the exact same thing you did with a heavy squat too deep one day and tweaked it. I came back a few days later for heavy deadlifts and that was all she wrote. I have rehabbed it back to the point of no pain and have entered the iron game again. Luckily that is all it was was a slight herniation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Wolf I have a question about your back issue. Do you think it is maybe a herniation? I did the exact...I mean the exact same thing you did with a heavy squat too deep one day and tweaked it. I came back a few days later for heavy deadlifts and that was all she wrote. I have rehabbed it back to the point of no pain and have entered the iron game again. Luckily that is all it was was a slight herniation.
    I'm 99% sure it's my QL. And it has happened several times before, the first time I recall being December 2012.

That last reference to the cue was interesting; I'd like to know the reasoning behind their assertion that a close grip and elbows under the bar improves recruitment of the knee extensors.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    That last reference to the cue was interesting; I'd like to know the reasoning behind their assertion that a close grip and elbows under the bar improves recruitment of the knee extensors.
    I'm not 100% sure but between that one and Ferruggia, and trying to put together the snippets I've heard from people, it's the being more upright thing. I don't think it's incorrect, per se, just seems to be an artifact of a less stable bar leading to reluctance to lean over, rather than the elbows themselves having anything directly to do with squat mechanics. OTOH, if I'm understanding Wendler correctly, he seems to think of it equivalently to the way we think of looking down.

Fun day today with special guest visitor, SSC JaysonBallYoga from Colorado.

Bench Press - belt
    355x3x3 @7 - last set paused for funsies and curiosity.
    Notes: First two sets didn't feel great, so all three were really @7 even though the last was paused and the first were TnG. Had a better bar path and that made a difference.

Press - belt (no wraps)
    200x5x4
    200x7 @7.5
    Notes: Kept this a little lighter in anticipation of a PR double attempt on Monday. Gave myself a few extra reps with a hard stop @8 on the last set, and hit 7.5 on the 7th rep so called it there.

Power Clean
    45x3x2, 95x3x2, 115x3, 135x3x3
    Notes: Just wanted to do *something* to feel less bad about myself. Holy rust, batman. Also my back still didn't like em much, so just stopped. Womp.

Chins
    BWx3x5

DB Curls
    50x8x2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-03-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

DB Curls
    50x8x2
    You show those crossfitters whose got the Gunz tho

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    You show those crossfitters whose got the Gunz tho
    Oh I sure show'd em! In other news, 17.2 ALSO is dumbbell based. I'm just glad I can do these DB curlz and get swole. Swole is the goal. Size is the prize.