starting strength gym
Page 343 of 443 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353393 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Good to see you back to squatting again so quickly after the most recent set back, Wolf.
    Thanks John. It appears this was an unusual Wolf injury, in that it was just a tweak like everyone else gets. A little muscle pull that heals quickly. Instead of one of my unusually long lasting and mysterious ailments. Like the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

DB Alt Curls
    50x7
    Oh yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Oh yeah
    The pump was real.

4YGU0AN.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I just think it's weird that as someone who's known me for 5 years, you think I haven't done and thought about the things you mention. And that there simply MUST be data and information there that a lesson can be learned from, and I missed it. This is possible, of course, but the assuredness with which you imply this, and is, as far as I can tell, the only basis for the snark in the rest of your post is unwarranted. Given my lifelong and familial histories of injury, as well as the specifics in the cases of both of the most recent back injuries, bad luck - essentially meaning a congenital basis for increased risk, which I have jokingly referred to for years as Wolf's Disease - seems much more the likely. "I honestly don't know anyone with chronic lumbar problems like you." - Dr. Petrizzo. The only possible candidate might be my mother, who has had serious and sometimes debilitating back issues for 30 odd years. But nah, it's more likely a data analysis would explain how one rep of a squat at less than 60% of 1RM - a weight I could have done 15-20 reps of on that day despite the recent time off from squatting - done without a major or significant form fault, tore an erector belly in a muscle that had both been completely fine as well as completely rested for months beforehand, without any realistically plausible buildup of trauma or fatigue, while using a ramp-back-up protocol I've used successfully many times before, except much more conservatively this time.

You're my friend, so I assume you're trying to help. Maybe even in the slap me in the face to knock some sense back into me kind of way, and tell me to stop whining and stop being a little bitch. That's fair. But I really don't think any kind of analysis can explain what happened. It just did.
    Wolf, I have been a longtime reader of your training log (and now first time poster), and I've always appreciated the depth you provide in describing your experiences and your thought processes and the seriousness with which you take your training. In the spirit of looking outside the box for solutions and accruing useful data, I really really encourage you to buy and read (and re-read) this book:

Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection: John E. Sarno: 8601420002166: Amazon.com: Books

I know that it's been suggested to you in previous pages in your log and that you dismissed it, but I urge you to take it seriously. I suspect that you, like many others, are put off by the possibility that your back is not in fact any more fucked up than those of the rest of us and by the notion that this is not a structural problem in your body, but I also know many people, myself included, who have been helped by this book and the attendant philosophy. It is not woo woo. And it looks as though you might be at a place where you're willing to try anything to feel and perform better, so now is the time to give it an earnest trial.

Best wishes and good lifting, Hoss.

Left side (longstanding issue) was better today, but still a ways to go for 100%. Right side (last week's very frustrating tweak) was completely unnoticeable and back to 100%.
    I also got an ultrasound on what I think is my umbilical hernia today, to confirm whether that's in fact what it is. After I get the results, will consult with doc and probably see a surgeon, as I'll likely need it fixed.

Squat - belt at 275+
    135x5, 185x5, 235x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
    Notes: Super easy and fast, just going up cautiously. Again.
    315x5 squat on IG

Press - beltless, dead stop, strict
    165x5x2, 175x5x2 @7

Power Clean!!!
    95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 205x2, 185x2x3
    Notes: Other than one aborted attempt a month or so ago, I haven't cleaned since my umbilical hernia issue started flaring up in November. Was surprised that between that and my back, I wnet up to 205x2 VERY easy and no problem, even though I was super rusty with the technique and timing. Will post it on IG tomorrow.

The not as good news was I was catching the bar in the hang rather than dropping, and this was fine through 175 but at 195 it still irritated my back. So clearly it's not back to 100% yet. I brought out some pads to drop it on for all the further sets, but it remained slightly irritated thereafter from doing that at 195x2.

Ring Rows
    BWx10x6

Umbilical hernia is confirmed.

Wolf's Disease Is Real.

Right side is, as far as I can tell, completely healed.

Left side was more irritated today than it was on Wednesday, but still a lot better than a few weeks ago, and good enough to lift on. Maybe still a little irritated from catching those cleans on Weds.

Squat - belt from 295 on
    135x5, 195x5, 245x5, 295x5, 335x5
    315x3 - paused
    Notes: I could feel my back a tiny bit today, mostly on the unracking and walkout more than the squats themselves. Probably just still a little irritated from catching the cleans on Weds, as I mentioned above. Didn't really feel any worse afterwards. 335 moved fast and easy.

335x5 SQ on IG

Bench Press - paused, medium grip, 2.5-3 mins rest
    265x7x5 last set @7.5-8
    Notes: Doing seven sets of five reps on less than three minutes rest, with a close-ish grip and pausing every rep, is a good way to make ~55% of 1RM feel hard.

Deadlift - belt for 315+
    135x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3+5 count hold last rep, 315x5 - DOH
    Notes: Easy. 365 felt just the tiniest bit in my back, but not bad and didn't make it worse.

Chins
    BWx3, BWx5x6 = 30, very short rests

LTEs
    92x10x2

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Wolf, I have been a longtime reader of your training log (and now first time poster), and I've always appreciated the depth you provide in describing your experiences and your thought processes and the seriousness with which you take your training. In the spirit of looking outside the box for solutions and accruing useful data, I really really encourage you to buy and read (and re-read) this book:

Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection: John E. Sarno: 8601420002166: Amazon.com: Books

I know that it's been suggested to you in previous pages in your log and that you dismissed it, but I urge you to take it seriously. I suspect that you, like many others, are put off by the possibility that your back is not in fact any more fucked up than those of the rest of us and by the notion that this is not a structural problem in your body, but I also know many people, myself included, who have been helped by this book and the attendant philosophy. It is not woo woo. And it looks as though you might be at a place where you're willing to try anything to feel and perform better, so now is the time to give it an earnest trial.

Best wishes and good lifting, Hoss.

Well, it was worth a shot. Maybe you'll be ready next time. Good luck, Wolf.

starting strength coach development program
    Because things were already so great, The Universe decided that I should also get sick this week, so I haven't trained since last Friday. The longstanding issue on my left side has also regressed, after an encouraging week last week, and hurt pretty much all week. I haven't posted everything I've done and the people I've seen to try to help it here, because I'm too lazy and don't like to share everything anyway. But I saw someone new yesterday (a PT who thinks outside the box somewhat), and this may be helpful where other approaches haven't worked. Not sure yet, but hoping.
    The good news is the tweak I generated on my right side that day a couple weeks ago was literally just a regular minor muscle thing and is back to 100% with no regression.

That said, even though I just did a light re-introductory lift after a full week off and being sick all week, it was a blast with the seminar staff crew at CF South Brooklyn before this weekend's seminar.

Press
    45x8x2, 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 185x5

Bench Press
    45x10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, then for funsies since we were live on IG
    275x1, 315x5, 365x1, 405x1 @8 all with no rest other than changing plates, and no set-up (not that I can get a big arch anyway).
    275x5 back off set
    Notes: The little bench stunt was perhaps just slightly irresponsible, but given that it ended at 405 which is still less than 90%, I did it for teh gramz and teh fanz.

Bench Ladder on IG

Chins
    Various sets and reps between bench and press sets, about 30 total reps.

Then did the rehab stuff which I'll be trying 2-3x/week for my back issue. Too boring and non-conducive to clarity when typing out to detail here.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-22-2017 at 06:09 AM.