starting strength gym
Page 347 of 443 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349357397 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,470 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A couple big notes:
    1. I was supposed to have my ventral hernia repaired this past Friday, but it was postponed about a week prior, due once again to carelessness on the part of people who should know better. The same thing happened last year with my shoulder surgery, I told them about this, they dismissed it, and then it happened again because they don't actually listen. Coupled with the fact that they literally don't answer their phones - it often takes me a week to get through to them, trying every day - and are the only place in town I can get this done thanks to my prior insurance no longer being available (#thanksObama, literally), it is very frustrating. I haven't been able to get through to them yet to schedule another day, but my first real vacation in two years is coming up soon and I'll be damned if it's going to be spent recovering from a surgery. So I might have to put it off till later in the year. Fuck these people.

2. The aftermath of last Monday's workout was that my back regressed a ton and felt awful pretty much the rest of the week. I could have done some upper body stuff but was so demotivated by the setback that I didn't even bother. I had a couple treatments on it and it was doing marginally better by Friday, and also found a new trigger point that seems to provide some release. It was doing better by this morning. Then I woke up with a pretty gnarly headache that didn't go away, so took a few advil for it. Trained not long afterwards. As a result, everything felt great today - even back and knees.

Safety Bar Squat - SBDs + 3" belt
    310x5, 340x5x2 @6
    Notes: Amazing how much easier it is to keep your back tight when your knees don't feel like they're being stabbed with 9 inch long blades every time you descend into a squat. Tendinosis sucks. Advil is good.

Bench Press
    295x5, 315x5x2 @6
    Notes: Not much to say here, but pleased how well these moved considering lack of training lately.

Deadlift - shoeless, 3" belt, hook grip
    405x5 @6, 455x3 @7, 365x5 back off set
    Notes: Pretty solid here too. Somewhat surprised.

Chins
    BWx3x5

DB Curls
    40x8x2
    Notes: Easy but wanted to ease back in.

!C2 Erg! - 30/40 x4 then a single 250m
    Paces around 1:45
    Notes: Haven't done this since November, IIRC. Hoping back allows me to continue.

Some rehab stuff.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-06-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot back off set

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Ya, that was the place. I think it was $5 to drop in, which I couldn't believe. I know I am in the most expensive part of the country, but my gym is $35 for a drop in, whether you're going to take a class or just do open gym. $5 is basically the rate you pay to take a breath of garbage-stinked-up air where I am, so having that for the day rate is mind boggling to me. Hell, even WFAC is more!
    Yearly membership fee is $169. Just gotta do your presses with all 10s and your chins at home.

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Yearly membership fee is $169. Just gotta do your presses with all 10s and your chins at home.
    $169 for a year? How does such a place survive?

I intended to train Wednesday and didn't, but I got it in again today, so that's 2 for the week, up one from last week. Next week will be three, and while my back is still very temperamental and dodgy, it seems if I just get my act together, I can train for real again. Not full intensity, but what I would call training and not just light/rehab stuff. It's been a while now since I've done that so I will need to work on getting my mental intensity back up.

Second is I have a new surgery date, but due to logistics, it won't be till August. I had hoped to get the surgery last week, begin lifting again early July, and then have a 12-13 week prep for the October SS Fall Classic. Looks like I'll have to miss the meet yet again, but I didn't want to push the surgery off until the winter. It needs to get fixed. This means I will have a short run of training now, a month off, then pick it back up with light work in mid September, probably November before I'm doing anything really heavy again. Maybe I'll pick a PL meet to do in the winter, or maybe I'll wait till the next SS meet.

Press - belt + wrist wraps
    235x1 @7.5
    185x5x3 @7
    145x10 @6
    Notes: After such a reduction in frequency, volume, and intensity lately, these felt heavy AF in my hands. But moved OK. Will ramp things back up again now. With my back only hurting a little several days a week, instead of a lot every day, I'm a lot more motivated to get things going again now.

Tempo 5-1-0 Squat to 5th hole Pins - sleeves
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x5, 275x5
    Notes: This is Dr. Baraki's experimental idea for reducing my knee painz. We shall see how it goes. Will add a bit of weight next week, and if that goes well, drop the pins a hole at a time.

As far as grip: my elbows and brachialis have been a little tweaked the last few days even though I haven't trained and haven't low bar squatted in nearly two weeks. But only a little. I used a more conventional thumbs around grip today, which allows me to keep better control of the bar position than the more elbows down version I had been trying and it seemed and seems OK so far. However I did press first both to warm up my shoulders and in case this bothered my arms.

Deadlift - 3" belt
    475x1, 515x1 @7, 545x1 @8.5 - hook
    405x5 @6 - DOH
    Notes: The 545 moved a little slow but first time doing it in about 6 months, so am pretty happy.

DLs on Insta

Chins
    BWx3, +10x3, +20x3, +25x3x4, BWx8
    Notes: I'm a little fatter now + haven't been training regularly, so this isn't bad.

LTEs
    87x8, 10
    Intended to do 87 then 102, but the first set was kind of hard for some reason so kept it there. Next set was much easier so did a couple extra reps.

C2 Erg
    : 30/45x6 then a single 250m
    Did the 30/45s in 1:40-1:45 pace till 1:36 for the last one. Did the 250 at a 1:50 pace. I am out of shape.

Some rehab stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    $169 for a year? How does such a place survive?
    Dunno. I've always assumed barely and with supplement sales.

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Dunno. I've always assumed barely and with supplement sales.
    They do have a very extensive supplement section up front.

Decent day today.

Squat - tempo 5-1-0 to 5th from the top of the westside spacing bench holes; SBDs + Belt
    135x5, 205x5, 255x5, 295x5, 315x5x2
    Notes: Knees didn't feel as good today as Friday; they hurt even with the lighter weight sets. But I had a better handle on the movement today and didn't hurt so much that I couldn't control the tempo. Also elbows felt OK during and after, which was good. I actually intended to bench first, just in case, but had a brain fart. Though this grip hasn't worked to alleviate my elbow-itis in the past, it seems to be OK for now.

Bench Press - 3" belt
    295x5 @6
    325x5 @7.5
    345x2 @7.5
    365x1 @7.5
    CGBP
    265x5x2 @6
    Notes: These felt harder than they moved, until 265 back offs, which felt easy too.

Deadlift - 3" belt, alt grip
    415x5, 455x5 @7
    Notes: Back didn't feel great but was alright enough, and this didn't seem to make it any worse so I went ahead with the plan.

Chins
    BWx3x6

DB Curls
    50x6x2

GHD Razor Curls
    BWx5x5

C2 Erg: 25/60 x6
    Paces were 1:35-1:40 today. Did one at 1:30.

Default Weds, 6/14

Press - belt + wraps at 185+
    165x5, 185x5, 200x5 @8, 215x2@8, 230x1 @8.75
    155x8x2
    Notes: Wrists hurting for some reason.

Power Clean
    [95, 135, 165, 185, 205, 225, 225] x2
    Notes: Kept wraps on cause my wrists hurt. Back felt a little dodgy but not too bad.

Chins for the Wins
    BWx3, +15x3, +25x3, +35x3x3, +25x3, +15x3, BWx8

C2 Erg: 250m /80s rest x 4
    @ 1:49. 1:46, 1:46, 1:42
    Notes: I am very out of shape

Today was a good day. It was the first day since Friday, 12/9/16 - pre WFAC seminar lifting with Austin and Reynolds - that I felt like I was really truly training again. Still a long ways to go, but that sweaty, beat feeling at the end of a good long session, I missed the hell out of it for the last 6 months.

Back still hurts me low grade about 80-90% of the day most days, but lifting doesn't seem to make it worse right now.

Bench Press - belt + wraps
    405x2 @9
    315x8 @7
    Notes: Would've done 405x3 @9 but I misgrooved the second one, so racked it to avoid a grindy rep. Considering I had never done 405x2 till March, and then spent April and May training half assed and June hardly training at all, I'm really happy to have maintained this. Kept volume low since I'm really just getting back into things.

405x2 & 315x8 Bench Press on IG

Deadlift - 3" belt
    525x1 @7, 565x1 @8.5, 585x1 @9, 600x1 @8.5
    Notes: I have been so cautious around my back for a while now, I kind of couldn't take it anymore and when 565 and 585 were easier than expected, decided to go for 600. It moved better than 585 did. Pretty pleased about this. If you look back at my logs, I haven't actually trained my DL since summer of 2015. Since then I've either had a tweak so went lighter, had a worse injury so couldn't do it at all, or was ramping back up from one of those things. To be able to still pull 600 after all that is exciting. It also is frustrating thinking about what it could have been, but alas, that does no good for nobody. But maybe a small PR is in the cards before surgery in August.

Squat - tempo 5-1-0 to 5th hole from top of BP holes, SBDs + 3" belt
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5x3
    Zerchers
    135x3, 185x3x2
    Notes: Knees started off pretty cranky but were somewhat better by last two sets of the tempos. Not sure if it's this or some of the other things I'm doing, but they have been a little less cranky in general in life, but they are still pretty pissy when I squat. My PT wants me to do the zerchers, I'm not sold on them yet but gave em a go today.

More good news:I squatted last of the main lifts as an elbow precaution but they once again felt OK during and after. I wonder why last time I tried this grip in December/January (narrow, thumbs around, elbows still up enough to create a shelf, but more weight on the wrists than the traditional SS Grip), it didn't help at all. Maybe it's cause of the low weight and volume I'm doing now. But regardless, it seems OK for now.

Ring Rows
    BWx8x4

GHD Razor Curls
    BWx5x5

LTEs
    107x10x2

Some more rehab stretches and stuff.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Pleasing session, Wolf!