starting strength gym
Page 355 of 443 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365405 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Bench Press
    45x15, 85x12, 115x8, 135x8x4 - back to the big boy plates, brosephi. Arch tolerance also slowly improving.

Deadlift from 2" Block
    95x5x3 - no pain, alright! Well, no pain in my surgical area. Knees still fucked up and hate this.

Press
    33x10x2

CHINS!!!!
    BWx1x6, BWx3!!!
    This was definitely the most exciting. I wasn't even going to try but I didn't want to do stupid light curls again and was looking for an out so I talked myself into it, thinking one rep would be all I needed to feel it in my abdominal area and stop immediately. But that didn't happen. Not using any stretch reflex yet, and touching my feet back down between reps, so ab use is still somewhat less, but the reps themselves were fine.

Feeling better daily as far as hernia surgery recovery. Knees are still awful, made an appointment for next week with an Orthopedist to get that checked out.

Bench Press
    45x15, 95x10, 135x10, 145x10, 155x10x2
    Notes: I could obviously go up more quickly, but I see no reason to rush and hit the limit of what my mid-section can handle so quickly and then potentially be stuck there for a while. I'm enjoying the pacing of smaller increments daily, and by the time I get to heavy weights again at this pace, I'll probably be ready.

Seated DB Incline Curls
    30x8x4

Press
    33x10x3

Chins
    BWx1x8, BWx3
    Notes: Technically 2-3 of those singles were pullups, but whatever.

Good luck with the recovery Wolf - even on your weakest day, you're still stronger than 99% of people in Midtown.

Heh, thanks - probably 99.99% even. One of the main ways I knew I was ready to try some more stuff this week was that I had stopped subconsciously walking defensively out on the street. You know what I'm talking about, with the 3 categories of people walking towards you in Manhattan:

Cat 1: Normal people who, like you, just want to get where they're going quickly without incident - they meet you half way in getting out of each other's way so you can pass each other.
    Cat 2: People looking down on their phones so much that they wander and meander any old way and don't know what's in front of them.
    Cat 3: People who think the universe centers around them and just walk basically straight, expecting people, animals, and the red sea itself to part in front of them for they are royalty, and don't even make the slightest move of one inch to get out of anyone else's way.

I'm a Cat 1. I just want to get where I'm going quickly, if someone walking towards me makes even an incomplete gesture to meet me partway in getting out of each other's way, I'm fine with that and cooperate accordingly. I appreciate other Cat 1s. Cat 2s annoy me and they're inconsiderate as hell, but not malicious. Cat 3s though...after 15 years here, I have a special place in the blackest depths of my shriveled heart for Cat 3s. A few years ago, I started playing chicken with the Cat 3s, seeing if they'd flinch first. Sometimes they do. But usually they don't, because that's what makes them Cat 3s. It gives me tremendous joy when they keep walking straight, ever so confidently, not deigning to even move a millimeter out of their path, thinking everyone else will just move out of their way...and then they get hit with my shoulder. They usually get quite upset, I've gotten lots of incredulous looks, plenty of shouting and cursing. I wonder if they realize that I just literally mirrored their own idiotic selfish behavior and they just happen to be physically smaller and weaker, and understand the lesson I just taught them: BE A CAT 1! I'd like to think so. But if not, well, it's a sweet morsel of justice that doesn't actually harm anyone.

Long story short: I knew I was ready to start ramping things up in the gym this week because, without thinking about it, I started playing chicken with the Cat 3s again instead of avoiding it and walking defensively all the time as I had been since surgery.

And now everyone reading this knows that I'm Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Heh, thanks - probably 99.99% even. One of the main ways I knew I was ready to try some more stuff this week was that I had stopped subconsciously walking defensively out on the street. You know what I'm talking about, with the 3 categories of people walking towards you in Manhattan:

Cat 1: Normal people who, like you, just want to get where they're going quickly without incident - they meet you half way in getting out of each other's way so you can pass each other.
    Cat 2: People looking down on their phones so much that they wander and meander any old way and don't know what's in front of them.
    Cat 3: People who think the universe centers around them and just walk basically straight, expecting people, animals, and the red sea itself to part in front of them for they are royalty, and don't even make the slightest move of one inch to get out of anyone else's way.

I'm a Cat 1. I just want to get where I'm going quickly, if someone walking towards me makes even an incomplete gesture to meet me partway in getting out of each other's way, I'm fine with that and cooperate accordingly. I appreciate other Cat 1s. Cat 2s annoy me and they're inconsiderate as hell, but not malicious. Cat 3s though...after 15 years here, I have a special place in the blackest depths of my shriveled heart for Cat 3s. A few years ago, I started playing chicken with the Cat 3s, seeing if they'd flinch first. Sometimes they do. But usually they don't, because that's what makes them Cat 3s. It gives me tremendous joy when they keep walking straight, ever so confidently, not deigning to even move a millimeter out of their path, thinking everyone else will just move out of their way...and then they get hit with my shoulder. They usually get quite upset, I've gotten lots of incredulous looks, plenty of shouting and cursing. I wonder if they realize that I just literally mirrored their own idiotic selfish behavior and they just happen to be physically smaller and weaker, and understand the lesson I just taught them: BE A CAT 1! I'd like to think so. But if not, well, it's a sweet morsel of justice that doesn't actually harm anyone.

Long story short: I knew I was ready to start ramping things up in the gym this week because, without thinking about it, I started playing chicken with the Cat 3s again instead of avoiding it and walking defensively all the time as I had been since surgery.

Best post ever

I encountered a new one yesterday. On the subway, A man standing in the traditional "back to the door" spot turned around to face outwards as we approached the station. When the train stopped he didn't exit. He just stood there so everyone exiting had to walk around him. He's in a Cat all by himself
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 09-30-2017 at 09:46 AM.

ya should have stuffed him down the gap

Lol. This is amazing and so true. I, too, consider myself a cat 1 and notice cat 3’s are almost never bigger men. I really don’t get the mentality of walking and literally refusing to yield halfway on the sidewalk. During “rush hour” I can walk a single block in the city and if I didn’t constantly move to dodge others, I think I’d crash directly into 3-4 people, all of whom are significantly smaller than I am, probably 30% smaller by body weight and 80% weaker measured by what they can lift. Even if I was a cat 3, if I was coming down the sidewalk at a guy who weighed 400 and could squat 3000 lbs (the equivalent of the average person I described above encountering me), I would sure as hell get the F out of the way.

A few times walking in a rush I’ve gotten distracted and have encountered cat 3s in my path. With me looking down at my phone (or whatever) and them being cat 3s, we’ve just collided directly into each other, which on more than one occasion actually landed them flat on their asses. I almost felt bad until they started screaming at me. I just do not get it.
    Last edited by JimB; 09-30-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Of course within the three categories are those that insist on a right side pass, a left side pass, or are just confused.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Lol. This is amazing and so true. I, too, consider myself a cat 1 and notice cat 3’s are almost never bigger men.
    I notice this too. Most of the ones I've encountered have been women, though certainly not all. Your scaling of a 400 lb guy with a 3000 lb squat certainly puts their self-centeredness into even more ridiculous perspective. I'd be falling all over myself to meet such a person halfway, at least.

starting strength coach development program
    I grew up outside of The City, but I have found this scenario in every major city that I have been to. I started doing the same thing as you a few years ago after just becoming disgusted by the rudeness and insanity (I am smaller and weaker than you, but among actual humans I am fairly intimidating.....to non sociopaths.). I have trained myself so that I now feel shame if I revert out of vigilante walker mode.