Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Press
    197.5x5 @7.5 - belt
    212.5x5x2 @8.5, 9.5 - belt + wraps
    Notes: After 210 was such a grind last time, I proceeded with caution and did a 197.5x5 diagnostic set first to gauge how thing would move today. Pretty well, was the answer, so went to 212 and it still moved well. Then the last set slowed down big time, but this is still better than last press workout.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it feels like I've turned a corner and, despite the weights getting heavier and closer to what were working weights before surgery, things will actually pick up and get easier and stronger from here. Dunno, we'll see, but I'm feeling good for the first time in a loooong time now. I managed my 290 press and 465 bench last Spring with the hernias niiggling at me every workout, and a still recovering really bad back injury. My back has never 100% recovered but feels A LOT better than it did this time last year, and my hernias are repaired, and the repair sites are getting back to normal again. Especially with my future of squats and DLs unknown, I would really, really like to run up to a 315 press and 500 bench this year. Let's go!

BB Rows
    265x5, 285x5x3
    Notes: Tried to do a regular DL rep at 275 when breaking the bar down and 1) knees hurt slightly less in the set-up than they did the last time I tried, but 2) Still hurt a lot when I squeezed up and started to pull, so much that I couldn't even do one rep. So a little better but definitely can't pull a DL from the floor yet. I basically use SLDL form to get the BB Rows off the ground.

Pullups
    BWx4x4

Conditioning
    5 rounds, starting with 30s rest, adding 10s per round
    8 snatches / arm @20kg
    8 pushups
    Notes: Did this with a friend from the gym. Finished with 4 pushups with her on my back (~175). Harder than I expected, especially after the pressing and pushups I'd already done.
    Enjoy the WolfWod.

DB Curls
    40x10, 50x8x2, 30x15
    Notes: Why did I finish with a set of 15, you ask. I'll tell you why.

Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-14-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I would really, really like to run up to a 315 press and 500 bench this year. Let's go!
    But then we'll have to ask the truly difficult, intellectually challenging questions...

Will you still be allowed to claim that you bench "'bout tree-fiddy?"

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    But then we'll have to ask the truly difficult, intellectually challenging questions...

Will you still be allowed to claim that you bench "'bout tree-fiddy?"
    This is an important consideration. I think with a 465 bench under my belt, my claim to bench 'bout tree fiddy' is already suspect. However if I press 315, I think that's close enough - within 10% - to claim that I press 'bout tree fiddy. Thus, problem solved.

I will note however, for the record, that the last session in which I worked up to a single after my 3x5, I did exactly 350. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    the last session in which I worked up to a single after my 3x5, I did exactly 350..

Haha so many gems in that last log post. Glad you're turning a corner. You also managed to blend Strength Training, Crossfit, and Bodybuilding into glorious harmony

The pump is like cumming. Which is why I only catch one while making eye contact with the Ahhnold poster in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    You also managed to blend Strength Training, Crossfit, and Bodybuilding into glorious harmony
    My abilities as a synthesizing peacemaker are greatly under-appreciated. Thanks for noticing, Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingCurls69 View Post
    The pump is like cumming. Which is why I only catch one while making eye contact with the Ahhnold poster in the gym.
    10/10 would make eye contact again.

Feeling good again today. So far, that feeling of turning the corner is not just my imagination.

Block Pulls - 6"
    480x5 @6.5, 530x1 @7 - 3" belt
    405x5 @6 - beltless (first two reps DOH)
    RDL 315x5 backoff, DOH
    Notes: Solid pulling today. Took another 15 lb jump and it was fine. 405 DOH is still not very stable, but 365 wasn't stable there just a few weeks ago, so progress is progress. Forgot RDLs on Weds so did one set as a backoff today.

Bench Press - 3" belt
    320x5 @8, 345x1 @7, 365x1 @8.5
    305x5x2 @9, 8
    Notes: First work-set was solid, singles were solid, back-offs didn't rest or focus enough and were a little harder, but still OK.

530 block pull and 365 bench on IG

Chins
    BWx3, +10x3, +20x3, +25x3x4, then +25x6 @9.5 for a final set.
    Notes: The +25x3s felt like @8-8.5 but given that I did 6 on the last set, must have been easier. Just lost the feeling of what weighted chins feel like, after 6-7 months off of them.

Conditioningish
    5 rounds, 1 min rest
    2 HSPU
    15 KB Swings @32kg
    Notes: Not super HR challenging, but HSPUs felt much stronger today than they have been.

LTEs
    77x8, 87x8x2

Wolf's Disease is, apparently, not just internal but also bad luck regarding all things physical and training related. Just when I was starting to hit a stride, I got my thumb smashed in a door Friday night. Thankfully it doesn't appear super serious, but I will have to miss training today. My guess is Wednesday at the earliest, but possibly not till end of week. I don't think it'll keep me out till next week but don't know for sure yet.

Super stupid and frustrating (and also makes typing a PITA), but that's what it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Damn. Yeah hand injuries are annoying for barbell training. And typing. At least this is like a cold. Not fullblown disease