starting strength gym
Page 384 of 443 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386394434 ... LastLast
Results 3,831 to 3,840 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How have you managed to keep your quads and glutes so sizeable without squats?

If I recall correctly you haven't consistently trained squats in like a year or more. How did you keep your quads and glutes from vanishing? Or would you say they're in the process of vanishing at the moment?

Do you think in a couple years you'll have a really top-heavy physique, or do you think the pulls from the floor you're doing will be enough to maintain your present level of butt/leg size?

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    How have you managed to keep your quads and glutes so sizeable without squats?

If I recall correctly you haven't consistently trained squats in like a year or more. How did you keep your quads and glutes from vanishing? Or would you say they're in the process of vanishing at the moment?

Do you think in a couple years you'll have a really top-heavy physique, or do you think the pulls from the floor you're doing will be enough to maintain your present level of butt/leg size?
    This is a weird question but hell...yes, they're not as big as they used to be. The combination of not being completely sedentary, not having a drastic caloric deficit, and doing the things I'm able to do (deadlifts and other pulls, isometric work in the press, etc...) has preserved much of the musculature, but they're not quite what they were before. I certainly don't want to be top heavy, and I think what I'm doing will be enough to maintain a reasonable amount of lower body musculature. I was also able to leg press, albeit only relatively light before my knee became an issue, so if I gain access to that again, that could help a bit too. But leg extensions were absolute no-go.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-11-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Bench Press: Wraps
    355x5x3, 315x5
    Notes: Moved pretty well, happy to be back up here in pre-strain working weight territory.

355x5 bench Vid

Deadlift: 3" belt
    405x5, 455x5
    KB 1-Arm Press
    24kg x6, 32kg x6x5
    Notes: Back has still been achy but yesterday's flight back from Dallas with another fairly big guy next to me was rough. Still, it held up pretty well on DLs today. Moved fast and didn't feel that bad.

Pullups
    BWx4x4
    Notes: Still feel in the pec a little so ramping volume up slowly and keeping frequency back a bit. I want to start chinning, but pullups feel it a little less. I'll probably do some weeks 1x and some weeks 2x and see if I can get away with that.

C2 Erg
    45/75 x8 @ ~1:45-1:48 paces, last one at 1:40.

Press: no belt or wraps
    225x1, 245x1
    205x3,3,5
    Notes: These felt heavy and my shoulders felt very fatigued today. Did a longer and harder than usual hike with the pup yesterday + late night actually out last night + early wakeup today, and also bench weight is getting back to legit working weight so doing a volumey bench workout and even a lighter volumey press workout in the same day might've hit me harder than I anticipated. Need to refigure that bench is heavy into my plans.

So I scaled back a bit here.

Power Clean: 6" blocks
    45x5x2, 95x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3x3
    Notes: Haven't cleaned since before hernia surgery 13 months ago, so this was fun. All easy, but thighs and wrists need to get used to it again, and my timing wasn't exactly perfect. Still, not nearly as much deterioration as I expected.

That was all for today, had a limited time.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-13-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Hey Wolf, without giving too much away, what's the status of your knee(s)?

Also, saw the 'gram from the Soho Forum; did you get the free drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Hey Wolf, without giving too much away, what's the status of your knee(s)?
    The only reason I'm relatively tight lipped about my knees is that this is public and there are possible future medical insurance/healthcare ramifications. But the issue I have does not appear to be in any way lifting related but also does not heal, at all, so it's 100% a matter of pain management/tolerance. I've found that I've gotten a little better at that over time, but I still can't usually pull from the floor with my lifting shoes on, so shoeless deadlifts and raised up cleans would be the norm for now. And no squats indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by satch12879
    Also, saw the 'gram from the Soho Forum; did you get the free drink?
    It was a great debate, very enjoyable to be there, especially with a largely libertarian/gun friendly audience, which is of course a super double extra breath of fresh air in Manhattan. This one was filmed not only by ReasonTV but also by C-Span, apparently.

Alas I arrived too late to get the free drink due to subway problems on the way. However, I did have dinner the night before in a very small group followed by a couple hours hanging and playing quiplash, with the individual whose name must be whispered for the free drink offer to take effect. That was quite fun and cool.

Saturday morning, way too early for my liking (~8:45-10:15am).

Bench Press: 3" belt +wraps
    365x5x2 @8, 8.5
    325x5 - no belt or wraps
    Notes: Pretty solid but definitely feeling some arm and shoulder fatigue still. One more workout till I have a forced week off for wisdom tooth extraction recovery, I'll hammer volume on Tuesday.

365x5 bench on IG

Deadlift: 3" belt
    495x2 @7
    495x2x2 @7.5 - straps
    Notes: First set was solid, lost a little steam on the next two but still pretty strong. Left lower back is still somewhat cranky but relatively better today so added weight but didn't push it.

Pullups
    BWx5x3

C2 Erg
    1 min on / 1 min off x8 @ ~1:55, last one at 1:48.

Followed by an 80 min hike with doggo. A solid day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Alas I arrived too late to get the free drink due to subway problems on the way. However, I did have dinner the night before in a very small group followed by a couple hours hanging and playing quiplash, with the individual whose name must be whispered for the free drink offer to take effect. That was quite fun and cool.
    Look at you! I guess this was outside of the Supporting Listeners' group?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Look at you! I guess this was outside of the Supporting Listeners' group?
    Ya this was a private, invite-only event with about 8 of us. DM me if you want to chat more about it or these things in general.

starting strength coach development program
    First day back under the bar since Wisdom tooth extraction 9 days ago. Still some discomfort but getting better daily. Just a light one to ease back in.

Press
    45x10x2, 95x5, 135x5, 155x5x2

Deadlift
    155x5, 225x5, 315x3

Bench
    45x10, 135x8, 185x5, 225x5x2

Pullups
    BWx3x3