starting strength gym
Page 387 of 443 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397437 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Lifted with Troupos at an LA Fitness in Orlando today before heading to the airport. The place was extremely spacious, included a pool and full sized basketball court in addition to the fitness space, and was very clean. It was also unexpectedly busy at 12pm on a Wednesday. And watching what was going on gave me eye cancer.

That said, we got in what we needed to get in.

Bench Rehab
    45x20, 95x12, 135x10, 165x10, 185x10, 205x10, 225x10x2
    185x10, 155x10 with wide grip
    Notes: Didn't have a lacrosse or other ball to roll on before and between sets but did a lot of high rep work today. Coming along.

Press
    95x7, 135x7, 165x7x3 - did these between bench sets but still pretty EZPZ.

Machine Rows
    4x10 - I couldn't believe that at 1pm on a random Weds afternoon, all four lat pulldowns and two cable row stations were taken. What the hell? So I used this techno gym machine row thing.

Tricep Rope
    3x12

Tonight was awesome but bittersweet. Drove out to Long Island to train with Nick, Rori, and John for the last time before I leave NYC in a couple weeks. The ~30 mile drive took nearly three hours, reminding me of one reason why I'm leaving. But although our busy schedules + Long Island to Manhattan travel times made it so we could only get together every couple months or so, John, Rori, and Nick have been a second family to me for the last six years. I will miss them greatly. But it was a really fun night, a great workout, our dogs had a blast, and we had some excellent NY pizza afterwards. NY Pizza being another thing I'll miss, unless the south Texas pizza scene unexpectedly ramps up its game in short order.

Press
    250x2x3 @7.5 - belt + wraps
    185x8 - naked
    Notes: Heavy doubles were very solid. Quite pleased here.

Bench Rehab
    95x10, 135x10, 185x10, 205x10, 225x10, 245x10, 225x10, 185x10 with wider grip
    Notes: First day this is really very noticeably feeling much better. Very happy about it.

Deadlift: 3" belt
    562x1 @6.5
    452x5x2 @6.5
    Notes: I really focused on squeezing up hard and fully here, getting all the slack out of the bar, something I sometimes let go a bit on back-off sets. The result was an excellent DL workout. DL hasn't moved this well in normal training since I hit my PR back in May. Used the kilo plates here.

LTEs
    80x8, 107x8, 113x8 - mix of KG and LBs here.

you guys train NAKED ?

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    you guys train NAKED ?
    100% RAW.

Hi Michael:

I recall from an earlier post that you are moving to Austin. I am a long time Austinite and native Texan. I hope you enjoy it here.

I am no expert on NY pizza but, in general, I prefer pizza that is made in the "NY style" if that makes sense. I have been to NY several times and never eaten pizza (sad, I know!). Once you are in Austin, I would recommend a place on South Congress called Home Slice. It is advertised as NY style and made with fresh dough and ingredients. It is great pizza in my opinion but you can judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. K View Post
    Hi Michael:

I recall from an earlier post that you are moving to Austin. I am a long time Austinite and native Texan. I hope you enjoy it here.

I am no expert on NY pizza but, in general, I prefer pizza that is made in the "NY style" if that makes sense. I have been to NY several times and never eaten pizza (sad, I know!). Once you are in Austin, I would recommend a place on South Congress called Home Slice. It is advertised as NY style and made with fresh dough and ingredients. It is great pizza in my opinion but you can judge for yourself.
    Thanks for the info, Doc. I have logged here every single training session I've done for nearly 7 years, and yet this may be the most important post in this log to date. Super crucial info. When I was last in Austin in August to check out places to live, I went to Pinthouse, and that was surprisingly excellent. So I knew there was at least one place. Good to know there are two. What I'll probably miss most is the ability to go into any pizza place on any block and order by the slice, have a 90%+ chance that it's very good or better, and also having 5-6 dozen pizza delivery options to where I live, many of which are open till midnight or later. Of course eventually I got to ordering from the same 3-4 places, but the ability to try a new one now and then is fun too. But it sounds like Austin can deliver (pun intended), at least when it comes to having one or two "go to" places.

Any other tips or insider secrets you'd like to share, I'm all ears.

Crucial info...truly a hard core pizza fan! It is hard to compete with NYC. You can't really beat it on culinary diversity or density anywhere in the US. The other day I had a craving for a pastrami and fried egg sandwich. I have yet to find a place in Austin that serves that! Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you may not be completely out of luck on the pizza front.

As far as pointers go, pick up a copy of the Austin Chronicle when you get here. They are available in lobby areas in a lot of different Austin restaurants and coffee shops. It is an Austin institution that is published weekly and contains information about all kinds of things including live music, restaurant guides, performance arts, and various other things going on around town. My wife and I don't get out as much as we used to but the Chronicle is still one of my go to resources when looking to do something different. I have no doubt that any old or new acquaintances here will be able to guide you to some great places and events depending on your interests.

I do love me some pizza. Obviously family and friends are what I'll truly miss, but the food scene is probably the only real "NYC thing" that I'll otherwise miss. But it's pretty good in Austin from my experience there and what I gather, especially for a mexican and BBQ lover like myself. And it won't take me 4-5 hours to go on a 75 minute hike with Chops, like it does here.

Thanks for the Austin Chronicle tip, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-11-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Press
    205x5
    220x5x4 - belt
    Notes: somehow I lost track of sets so it's possible I did 220x5x5 after the initial 205. I'm about 80% sure I didn't, but I might've. A little harder than expected today but no issues.

Deadlift
    585x1 @6.5 - with belt
    425x6x3 - beltless, straps for the first two
    Notes: The single went great - super speedy: Michael Wolf on Instagram: “Instagram vs real life vs real real life with 585.”
    Volume was too much, my erectors were almost seizing up after the third set. They just don't tolerate a lot of work, even if it's not very heavy. Need to remember that going forward, it's always been that way as long as I can remember, probably related to my scoliosis.

Bench Rehab
    45x15, 95x12, 135x10
    185, 225, 245, 265, 225, 225 - all x8
    Then 155x10 with wider grip
    Didn't feel as good as Friday but still pretty good.

Ring Rows
    BW x8x4

DB Curls
    40x10
    50x8x2

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Press
    205x5
    220x5x4 - belt
    Notes: somehow I lost track of sets so it's possible I did 220x5x5 after the initial 205. I'm about 80% sure I didn't, but I might've. A little harder than expected today but no issues.

Deadlift
    585x1 @6.5 - with belt
    425x6x3 - beltless, straps for the first two
    Notes: The single went great - super speedy: Michael Wolf on Instagram: “Instagram vs real life vs real real life with 585.”
    Volume was too much, my erectors were almost seizing up after the third set. They just don't tolerate a lot of work, even if it's not very heavy. Need to remember that going forward, it's always been that way as long as I can remember, probably related to my scoliosis.

Bench Rehab
    45x15, 95x12, 135x10
    185, 225, 245, 265, 225, 225 - all x8
    Then 155x10 with wider grip
    Didn't feel as good as Friday but still pretty good.

Ring Rows
    BW x8x4

DB Curls
    40x10
    50x8x2
    Wow - that 585 absolutely flew up