starting strength gym
Page 390 of 443 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well said. My brother visited NY and Manhattan last summer. When I asked him what it was like, he said “just like Dallas in the summer but it smells like hot garbage and piss and there are a LOT more people.” He didn’t make too many friends.

Enjoy yourself. Good luck with your training. Your lifts are inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hutson View Post
    “just like Dallas in the summer but it smells like hot garbage and piss and there are a LOT more people.”

Went a little out of usual order today. Benched and then DL'd in the powerlifting area, which has calibrated kilos, so my #s are a little wonky. I wasn't able to get the bar I wanted though.

Also, off topic, but I finally received word from the moving company that my things are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! It's been a challenging 2.5 weeks without them, and it will be really nice to be able to start putting my home-life back together again, instead of sitting in a fold-up camping chair all day and making endless trips to Target to get one thing at a time that I didn't want to buy because I already have, but just couldn't hold out any longer without.

Bench: 3" belt
    180kg x2, 182.5x2x2 (402) @7.5-8
    Notes: Solid. I'll put the wrist wraps back on next heavy day.

402x2 Bench on IG

Deadlift
    257.5kg x1 (568) @7
    220 x5 (485) @7
    Notes: I was going to be conservative after last week, but my last tester single at 240kg went really well and I felt nothing at all in my low back, so took the bigger jump to 568. Went fine. As did the back-off set.

Press: beltless, no wraps
    210x5,5,4,4,4
    Notes: EZPZ. Starting to taper off volume a little bit already, both for a big intensity day coming up Thursday, as well as for the meet in general. I still have a press 5x5 PR coming at 245, but that's just one workout. My bi-weekly volume is starting to come down just a tad now.

Chins and Pullups
    BWx3x2 each = 12

Straight Arm Pulldowns
    2x10

DB Curls
    45x8, 55x8x2

I've been generally tight lately so did a little forbidden stretching and mobility stuff at the end, doubtful that it helps but it was just 5-10 mins and felt good. Also threw in some ab wheel rollouts. It's been years since I've done those, probably weighed 230-240 last time I did them. Surprise! They're harder when you're 280!

A little late logging, this is from Tuesday, 12/11.

Press: dead stop, strict
    165x5, 185x5x2

DB Bench Press: neutral Grip, narrow
    70x8, 85x8, 100x8x2
    Notes: Hadn't done DBBP in five-ever, but these were super easy. Didn't go up cause I have a heavy press coming up the next workout. Gym DBs go by 5s to 100, then 110, 120, and that's it. And the 110 and 120s are huge, so that'll be interesting to do anything but DB rows on.

Leg Press
    135x8, 225x8, 275x8x2

Cable Row
    3x10
    LTEs
    90x10, 120x10x2

What gym are you training at these days Wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    What gym are you training at these days Wolf?
    I've done most of my lifting so far at a place called Ignite, which is pretty well set up for lifting - about 15-20 places to do the main lifts, lots of plates, and some equipment for assistance/accessory stuff as well as some strongman and conditioning. I intended to explore and try more places, but so far I've really just needed a place I could go where I know I can get certain things done, because keeping up with my online coaching work + unpacking, setting up and furnishing the new place is just taking up all my time. I haven't even been to Joyce's gym yet since I've been in town. I will get there, but it's quite a bit more travel time that I just haven't had time for yet.

At WFAC.

Press: belt + wraps
    285x1 @8
    300x1 @9
    315x0 @10
    225x10 @9
    Notes: I've been fatigued from moving, unpacking, etc etc etc but presses have been going well and moved well in warm-ups so I was confident I had 300 today. It moved reasonably fast despite me relying a little too much on the bounce and not driving as hard as possible with my arms immediately. So I tried 315. First time I've had over 300 in my hands in the press position. It felt doable walking out of the rack and I got a good throw, but it stalled hard right at my usual sticking point and my erectors started cramping so I had to bring it back down. Still feel pretty good about getting it in five weeks at the meet.

225x10 was fun afterwards. 5 years and 1 month after first doing 225x5. Press progress is sloooow.

Here's 300, 315, and 225x10 on the grams.

Deadlift: 3" belt
    585x1 @7
    455x3x3 @6
    Notes: Felt some pec pull at 495 and 585, oddly not at 545. I was worried I might have re-strained it but it seemed OK. Still really frustrating to have that be something I always have to be concerned about, with no apparent warning or build-up, while DLing of all things.

Used the new Texas Strength Systems Starting Strength barbell, and really liked it.

Bench
    315x5, 355x5x3 @7.5, 315x5
    Notes: Not much to note here, I might've felt my pec a little here on a few scattered reps but it also might just be my imagination playing tricks on me. Overall it was fine and the reps were speedy.

Chins and Pullups
    C: BWx4x3
    P: BWx3x2 = 18 total

DB Curls
    48x8, 59x8x2 - weird weights because WFAC

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I've done most of my lifting so far at a place called Ignite, which is pretty well set up for lifting - about 15-20 places to do the main lifts, lots of plates, and some equipment for assistance/accessory stuff as well as some strongman and conditioning. I intended to explore and try more places, but so far I've really just needed a place I could go where I know I can get certain things done, because keeping up with my online coaching work + unpacking, setting up and furnishing the new place is just taking up all my time. I haven't even been to Joyce's gym yet since I've been in town. I will get there, but it's quite a bit more travel time that I just haven't had time for yet.
    gotcha

Not sure if this counts as training but I did a bunch of cleans, snatches, and overhead work - calling them jerks would be insulting to jerks - this weekend at the staff development weekend. We practiced the lifts yesterday in between platform instruction sessions, and then today we did an informal mock meet mostly to watch and critique each other's lifts today. Rip talked me into taking 100kg for my last snatch, which I made as a power snatch that was almost a muscle snatch that I barely dropped under, for a 20lb lifetime PR. I've snatched many times in isolation, but I never really trained the snatch as we define training, for any extended period of time, and I haven't snatched a single solitary rep since my hernia popped out over two years ago in Fall, 2016, until this weekend. So despite being very rusty at a technique I was never amazing at to begin with, I easily snatched 100kg today. Then Rip paid out our $100 bet that I wouldn't move to Texas in front of everyone, and threw in an extra fahve for the PR. So that was pretty fun.

In terms of the clean, I power cleaned fairly regularly for years though I never really "trained it" after the LP; but I haven't really done them at all since the hernia popped out either, except for a couple times from blocks in the last couple months. Still, I managed to power clean 127 (280) easily, but the lack of cleaning regularly made for some lost flexibility + my arms are bigger than they were before + I have fairly long forearms relative to humerii, so I can't really get into a great rack position from which to jerk. I also am just not used to pushing myself under the bar, so I ended up just push pressing it, pretty easily I might add.

It was cool to see Andrew Jackson (133/150, IIRC) and Josh Wells (130/160) put up some solid numbers. It was a fun weekend and quite practically useful as well. I'll take tomorrow off and resume training Tuesday.

starting strength coach development program
    Still pretty tired from the weekend and drive, so going to make this a light week, then push hard the last three weeks into the meet before lightening up the week of. All done without any equipment today.

Bench
    385x1x2, 365x2
    Notes: The gym was jam packed for the christmas party so had to use a 31mm bar, which threw this off a bit. And sucked. 31mm bars should all be destroyed. Still pretty strong but definitely affected the lift.

Press
    95x8, 135x5, 175x5, 195x5, 215x5, 225x5
    Notes: All pretty solid and easy.
    225x5 on IG.

Power Clean
    95x2, 115x2, 135x2, 155x2
    Notes: I was really excited that my knees didn't hurt AT ALL when pulling the cleans and snatches from the floor all weekend. And then hit a 280 power clean very easily, like a warm-up, at the end. Came in today thinking I'd jump off that momentum and knees hurt immediately. WTF. Who knows. Kept it light, as my wrists and shoulders also still felt somewhat beat up after cleaning a bunch in one weekend after two years away from it.

Lat Pulldown
    4x8
    Rolling Dumbbells
    30x10, 40x8, 45x8

C2 Erg
    30/45 x5 at painfully slow paces (1:55ish) and then a single 250m at about 2:00.