starting strength gym
Page 409 of 443 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411419 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today was the very first day since late March in which I went through a normal morning and afternoon at home, then lifted, without a single moment of lower left back pain. And very little low level discomfort, too. I'm awed, in a good way, at how effective these CDLs have been.

Press
    245x1 @ 8.5, belt + wraps
    225x5 @9, 210x5, 200x5, belt only
    Cocaine DL
    45x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3,3,3,4, 185x4
    Notes: Did 4 on the last set of CDLs by accident. They felt solid, like I could've actually just done regular DLs and been OK for the first time since March.
    Press was a little slow - set of 5, especially, several reps got a little out away from me. I usually press in lifters and was wearing the Sabo DL shoes, since I wanted to try them out and my bro sent me a free pair he won and didn't want. So I used them for the DLs and presses, and though you might not think so, not being in the lifter threw my press off a bit. But they were good for the DL, really low and not squishy, better than nanos, no bulls, and chucks - all of which I've worn for DL at some point.

Leg Press
    8s @: 185, 275, 365, 455, 500, 405
    DB Bench Press, Close Grip Style
    105x8x3

DB Row
    70x10, 80x10, 85x10
    Notes: Haven't done these in over a year, partially due to my back. So started light, paid attention to how they felt, and kept weight and volume low-moderate this first time. So far, so good.

LTEs
    10s @ 70, 80, 90
    Plank
    25, 30, 25s
    Notes: Also haven't done LTEs for the last 5 months due to the back involvement in picking the EZ curl bar up and getting it into position via a janky power clean. Today was the first day I felt confident in my back to try, and here too, so far so good. Assuming the bar is 20 lbs.

And just in general, I find myself for the first time since March not avoiding bending over or guarding to bend over with partial support or really slow, but starting to be able to move normally again. Not there yet, but even some movement in that direction is a new thing. This is the first time that "time heals all wounds" has not applied even a little - usually it does at least somewhat, but this back thing hasn't improved at all simply due to the passage of time. Nor any of the other things I've tried. So this just has me optimistic in a way I haven't been in a long time.

Good to hear about the back improvement. Keep on truckin'

Heal up quick my friend. This stuff is challenging physically and mentally. As another "i get injured way to often," let me know if I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Stanton View Post
    Heal up quick my friend. This stuff is challenging physically and mentally. As another "i get injured way to often," let me know if I can help.
    Thanks dude, now that I think of it, you're probably the only guy I know who has had something similar to me in the injury without clear pattern or cause dept. We should probably chat at some point, definitely to commiserate, possibly to brainstorm.

Default Sat, 8/24

Had some dental work on Thursday which was bother longer and worse than anticipated. Wasn't up for training Friday, lifted Saturday and skipped most of the accessory and just did bare bones. Should be back to normal for Monday.

Bench
    365x3, 385x2 both @8.5
    (Cocaine) DL
    45x5, 135x4, 175x3, 205x3, 225x3, 245x3.
    [245x3x2 - regular DL]
    225x3, 135x3
    Notes:Bench was a little sluggish, not terrible but a little stickier than anticipated. I wasn't super motivated or in a strong mindset to train so it was probably that as much as anything else.

Actually did a few DL triples at 245 after warming up throughly with cocaines. Should have gone back down to 185 or something but my mind wasn't very focused. They went OK though. I still have some mental anxiety to overcome, but right off the floor as well as about 3/4 of the way up - the two places I've tweaked every time in the past - but so far, so good. Will start mixing in some regular deads (with a more controlled than usual eccentric) in, as I continue to improve.

Squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5
    DB Seated Press
    50x6, 65x6, 75x6x2
    Notes: I was really feeling the general physical blahs by this point. Still mentally and physically recovering from the dental work, I planned on 185x5x2 squat and 75x8x2 DB press but cut a set off the squat and 2 reps of each set of the presses. And then just called it a day. Skipped chin-downs, curls, conditioning, and planks. Doing this at all was a win. I'll get back to it Monday.

Going back on a 4 day program for the first time since (I think) 2016. Despite my intentions, I'm finding my workouts getting long again, lacking intensity as they get long, and skipping conditioning because of time constraints. I'm going to more or less divide the same work over 4 days instead of 3. It won't be exactly the same, but close. Slightly reduced frequency of upper body lifts, but similar total workload, but in 4 medium length workouts instead of 3 long ones.

Press: 4" Belt + Wraps
    250x1 @8.5, 225x3x2 @8.5, 7.5

Today's pressing on IG

Bench Press
    305x5x3 @7
    Cocaine DL: Double Pause below knee and 3 inches off floor
    45x5, 95x4, 135x3x8

Wide Grip Lat PD
    5x10: 1 warm-up, 4 work sets
    DB Standing Press
    50x10, 60x10x2 - this was getting a bit much upper body for all in one day compared to what I'm used to dividing it, so cut the last set of 10. Will add it in soon.

Tricep Cable
    3x12
    + some Paloff Press Holds

Hey mike - these cocaine deadlifts are for people with flexion issues? Any point in doing them if the trainee tweaked their back from, probably, overextending in their setup?

They are essentially a paused RDL, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Hey mike - these cocaine deadlifts are for people with flexion issues? Any point in doing them if the trainee tweaked their back from, probably, overextending in their setup?

They are essentially a paused RDL, correct?
    They are not a paused RDL, because you go further down below the knee and bend your knees as if you were putting the bar down normally for a deadlift, whereas in an RDL you never bend your knees, only unlock them. So here, you put the bar down like you would for any normal DL, but you stop and pause a couple inches off the floor. So the pause is right near the start position.

I'm really not 100% sure WHY they work, so it's hard to say if they're only specifically for flexion issues. I have some educated guesses, but not sure. I was very skeptical that they'd make a difference and tried them on a lark, and lo and behold, they're the only thing that's made any lasting difference. You're holding your back in neutral / extension - neither flexion nor over extension - for a purposely prolonged period of time, with a relatively light weight and low volume, then you add from there till you can DL again. I could potentially see them working on an over extension issue if you're super deliberate and careful to only go into neutral extension and lock down there.

Awesome, thanks for the details. I’ll give them a whirl.

They could come up with a better name - the backstory seems kinda like a had-to-be-there inside joke. Plus cocaine is catabolic, am i right? ;D

starting strength coach development program
    coach ?