starting strength gym
Page 418 of 443 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I did feel my lats a bit from Saturday, not sure if it was the pulls or the rows or both.
    Side planks brah

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Side planks brah
    Gonna have such shredded abs. My midline is getting so strong. My core stability will facilitate both mobility and activation potentiation of the surrounding stabilizing muscles to make me bulletproof.

Now please send 3 payments of $19.95 to this PO Box. You're welcome.

*Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    *Your welcome.
    My welcome.

Speaking of, my boy was on Rogan again the other day. Haven't listened/watched yet but I will.

Frustrated with today but just have to see how bad it is and do what I can in the meantime. Hopefully minor.

Squat: 4" belt+sleeves
    425x3 then racked it. Planned 425x5 and 475x1.
    Notes: Strained my left groin on these. I did notice it a bit after (not during) the 385x2 last warmup but it felt just slightly off, I waited, shook it off, and went ahead with 425 as planned. I felt it on the first two reps very slightly, enough to distract me from staying as tight as I wanted but nothing more than that. 3rd rep was worse. I still almost went down for the 4th because I really REALLY hate to bail on a set, but I decided to rack it. Was still considering doing my planned 475 single but as a few minutes passed into the rest period, it got worse, so I decided squats were done for the day.

I was then pretty proud of myself. Even a year ago, I'd probably have pushed through and regretted it later. I don't think I stopped early enough to prevent all issues but I'm sure it would be worse if I had kept going. That said, I was still very confident I'd be able to deadlift and was excited to pull 6 plates from the floor for the first time in 9.5 months.

Deadlift
    135x5x2 - then nope. Planned working up to 585x1.
    Notes: This was uber frustrating. Even with a narrow, toes-forward stance, I still couldn't set up and pull without feeling quite a bit of tugging in the groin. So I stopped. Maybe I could have done something from a higher height at that point, but was just mentally out of it and would have been even more frustrated if I got the block pulls all set up and couldn't have done them either.

The pain is not severe, but is very much nagging. I feel it during almost every movement of my legs, including when walking or getting up from seated. So it's not terribly painful at all, but ever-present. Will just have to see how it is goes in the upcoming days.

DB Bench
    110x9x3
    Cable Row (Wide grip neutral)
    195x8, 210x8x2
    Notes: I almost cut the whole workout off altogther when I could even feel groin irritation getting into position for both DB bench and cable rows. But it didn't feel like it was making it worse, just that I feel it during almost any leg movement, and I wanted to make something of the day, so I went ahead. Added a rep at the same weight for db bench. Rows I actually went a little easier.

DB Standing Press
    80x9x3
    Notes: added one rep here. Skipped side planks bc of adductor involvement.

DB Curls
    45x9, 55x9x2 - added a rep here too.

External Rotations
    3x12

Skipped conditioning because I didn't want to risk irritating it worse on the bike or rower.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-08-2020 at 09:12 PM.

My welcome.

Speaking of, my boy was on Rogan again the other day. Haven't listened/watched yet but I will.

Much LOLs; you'll enjoy it. The deadlift joke was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Much LOLs; you'll enjoy it. The deadlift joke was terrible.
    At least his actual DL is better than when I met him. IIRC he does a five or six day split that's a little all over the place. He deadlifts once a week, for which I've been programming for him for a while now, maybe a year or so, but I ONLY program his DLs. I don't see videos of technique, and I don't know what all else he's doing even that day, much less on the other 4-5 days of his split.
    Despite that, and despite him wanting to remain small/not gain weight and cycle small "bulks" and cuts, we've gotten his 1RM from something like 275 to 315. I'm not bragging about it exactly, but given all the limitations and factors, it's not bad.

Upon further investigation - by which I mean some movement tests and palpating, and thinking about what bothered it during yesterday's workout - I'm not sure if it's actually groin/adductor or possibly hamstring. I thought groin at first because it's really up in there medially, but it seems to be more effected by hip extension than ab or adduction. The adductors can extend the hips too - as is part of the SS Squat model - but it's more that things that would bother it in terms of ab and adduction if it were a groin, don't seem to as much as I would think. I can't say for sure. Probably the fact that hammies and some adductors originate on the ischial tuberosity and it's really way up in there make it hard to tell. I'm also thinking about the way it tugged in my deadlift setup, even with a narrow and toes-forward stance. So while I'm not sure, I suspect it's hamstring way up near the origin there. No discoloration anywhere, in any case.

The good news is it's not any worse today, which it often is the day after. Especially right upon waking up. So that's a good start. It's not any better either, but usually it's worse the next day. Still have to wait and see a bit how it plays out but it's a good first sign.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-10-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Still have to wait and see a bit how it plays out but it's a good first sign.
    Ironically, no one has a more positive outlook about Wolf's Disease than Wolf himself!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Ironically, no one has a more positive outlook about Wolf's Disease than Wolf himself!
    Haha except the times when I whine about it! Feeling slightly better today already, so I'm hopeful it's minor and I can be back to squatting and pulling soon. I may need to rehab and ramp back up some, but being able to do the movements will help. Meanwhile I've got a heavy bench to do today, which I can get excited about. Then tomorrow I'll experiment with some lighter block pulls to see if there's a height/weight combo i can use that works right now, and then some light/rehab leg presses. Could be a lot worse.