starting strength gym
Page 425 of 443 FirstFirst ... 325375415423424425426427435 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,250 of 4428

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Due to order volume, none of my stuff from Rogue has actually been shipped yet - tracking labels were created today for the 2 kettlebells, so I hope to have those by mid or late this coming week. The loadable DBs and extra plates are still processing, so probably won't see those till the following week. Bands from Amazon, normally 2 day prime, are scheduled to arrive Weds - 7 days after order. So Looks like it's just me and my current 2 kettlebells till at least Wednesday.

Friday, 3/20
    Warmup Circuit
    KB Sumo DL
    16x10, 24x10
    KB Low Windmill
    16x3, 24x3
    Inchworms
    2 sets of 3
    KB 2-arm High Pull
    16x8, 24x8

Circuit 2
    KB Swing
    16x12, 24x12x2
    KB Clean + Press (Short Cycle)
    16 x(1+5) x2, 24 x(1+5)x2 x2
    KB Goblet Squat
    16x8, 24x8x2

Circuit 3
    KB Snatch
    16x8, 24x8x2
    KB Low Windmill
    16x3, 24x3x2
    Pushups
    BWx8x3
    KB True Snatch Pull
    16x8, 24x8x2

Then did another set of 10 pushups, and one last set of 5+5 pushups and clapping pushups.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 03-21-2020 at 01:21 PM.

I've stopped posting all my workouts cause they're not really strength workouts right now, and taking the time to format them into something loggable is just too annoying.

BUT I've been posting tutorials that include basic technique instruction, explanations, and common errors on my YouTube channel, with 30 up as of now and more on the way. Just kettlebell, dumbbell, band, and bodyweight stuff for limited equipment workouts at home while this is all going on. Nothing fancy - no mic, no fancy camera, just single take videos with no script. Trying to push some good free info out as quickly as possible, not sell any slick products.

You can find em all here: YouTube

I've organized them into playlists by modality.

After 2 weeks of voluntary recovery then 6 weeks of involuntary home-based workouts, I'm back to my old friend the barbell. I was able to pick up my barbell from the gym a while back, as a "just in case," but I forgot I had some bumper plates in storage that I brought with me from NYC. I found them about a week and a half ago by accident, when looking for something else in storage. So I started deadlifting and floor pressing using some of the bumpers as blocks for the floor presses - but still on my sloped, cramped balcony which also isn't going to bear a ton of load. So didn't seem worth logging as workouts. But Friday I was able to source a locally welded pair of standalone squat stands - they're not heavy or very stable, I have to use a plate or KBs to stabilize them for re-racking, but right now they're worth their weight in gold to me. I'll need to upgrade to go heavy, but it's 100x better than nothing. And yesterday I was able to get a garage, get flooring, and put my stuff in there. So as of now I have a functional, if minimal, garage gym. The bench is borrowed from my gym, and will have to return it once they reopen, but as long as they remain closed, I can at least do SOMETHING resembling training, which is returning a modicum of sanity. The nearly 2 months without training - imposed by fiat from without, rather than due to an internal constraint - along with the 6 weeks now of total social isolation, was taking a toll, for sure. These workouts helped A TON.

Sat, 4/25 - on the balcony
    Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5 325x5
    Notes: DOMS set in about 1 minute after the 325 set, so I'm calling it IOMS. Holy posterior, batman! Missed these terribly.

Press
    95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5
    Notes: The sloped floor of the balcony affected these more than squats (I was facing the upward tilt in both cases), but not too hard to manage. Felt amazing.

Mon, 4/27 - in the Garage
    Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 355x5
    Notes: Stayed beltless for confidence. If I can squat 355x5, beltless and reps in the tank, after 2 months off, I'm feeling pretty good.

Bench
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5
    Notes: This was actually my first benching in THREE months, because of my bench pec tweaks at the end of January. All felt fine, and 315x5 was EZPZ.

Deadlift
    185x5, 275x5, 365x5
    Notes: Stopped at 365 only because I haven't done a 3-lift day in who knows how long, so not rushing ahead of my depleted work and recovery capacities. Stayed beltless, and doubleoverhand, here.

I am in a much better headspace after getting this set up. MUCH better. The damn garage doesn't even have an electrical outlet, so I can't even have a fan going - training in there in the upcoming Austin summer is gonna be a blast no doubt! I'll still go to the gym plenty. But having this: 1) for now 2) as a backup in future potential shutdowns now that this precedent has been set and 3) for convenience when I want to train but not deal with the traffic to and from the gym - is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    After 2 weeks of voluntary recovery then 6 weeks of involuntary home-based workouts, I'm back to my old friend the barbell. I was able to pick up my barbell from the gym a while back, as a "just in case," but I forgot I had some bumper plates in storage that I brought with me from NYC. I found them about a week and a half ago by accident, when looking for something else in storage. So I started deadlifting and floor pressing using some of the bumpers as blocks for the floor presses - but still on my sloped, cramped balcony which also isn't going to bear a ton of load. So didn't seem worth logging as workouts. But Friday I was able to source a locally welded pair of standalone squat stands - they're not heavy or very stable, I have to use a plate or KBs to stabilize them for re-racking, but right now they're worth their weight in gold to me. I'll need to upgrade to go heavy, but it's 100x better than nothing. And yesterday I was able to get a garage, get flooring, and put my stuff in there. So as of now I have a functional, if minimal, garage gym. The bench is borrowed from my gym, and will have to return it once they reopen, but as long as they remain closed, I can at least do SOMETHING resembling training, which is returning a modicum of sanity. The nearly 2 months without training - imposed by fiat from without, rather than due to an internal constraint - along with the 6 weeks now of total social isolation, was taking a toll, for sure. These workouts helped A TON.

Sat, 4/25 - on the balcony
    Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5 325x5
    Notes: DOMS set in about 1 minute after the 325 set, so I'm calling it IOMS. Holy posterior, batman! Missed these terribly.

Press
    95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5
    Notes: The sloped floor of the balcony affected these more than squats (I was facing the upward tilt in both cases), but not too hard to manage. Felt amazing.

Mon, 4/27 - in the Garage
    Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 355x5
    Notes: Stayed beltless for confidence. If I can squat 355x5, beltless and reps in the tank, after 2 months off, I'm feeling pretty good.

Bench
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5
    Notes: This was actually my first benching in THREE months, because of my bench pec tweaks at the end of January. All felt fine, and 315x5 was EZPZ.

Deadlift
    185x5, 275x5, 365x5
    Notes: Stopped at 365 only because I haven't done a 3-lift day in who knows how long, so not rushing ahead of my depleted work and recovery capacities. Stayed beltless, and doubleoverhand, here.

I am in a much better headspace after getting this set up. MUCH better. The damn garage doesn't even have an electrical outlet, so I can't even have a fan going - training in there in the upcoming Austin summer is gonna be a blast no doubt! I'll still go to the gym plenty. But having this: 1) for now 2) as a backup in future potential shutdowns now that this precedent has been set and 3) for convenience when I want to train but not deal with the traffic to and from the gym - is huge.
    Hell yea.

Press
    Ramping fives up to 195x5x2. - easy

Deadlift
    405x1 - just getting used to feeling it, taking it slow on ramping up work capacity and recovery. Will do 405x5 Friday after squat and bench.

Monday, 5/4

Not only was I stupid in procrastinating my workout till 5:30pm on a 95 degree Austin day, but I ran into some squat stand trouble too. Rough one but got it done.

Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 375x5, 335x5 - beltless
    Notes: At 225, the plate somehow dragged against the stands - and since my current squat stands are super light and unstable, moved them into a position in which re-racking was not possible. I have plates on the back so they don't tip over or slide backwards when re-reacking, but don't have sandbags or anything I can use to stabilize in all directions. No idea how this happened, but I had to behind the neck push press 225, put it down, unload it back to 135, adjust the stands, power clean it, then rerack and do the actual set.

Then guess what. The same thing happened again at 315. Dear lawd. It was tempting to just give up the workout at this point. Fortunately It didn't happen quite as badly and I was able to re-rack before doing the set. But I still had to unload all the plates, in order to adjust the stands so it wouldn't happen again. Then reload them all. I was absolutely drenched in sweat by this point, somewhat exhausted, and all I'd done is one empty bar sets and my first two light warmups. Geez.

I was able to do the rest without incident, but that really took it out of me.

375x5 video on IG

Deadlift
    225x5, 315x2, 405x5
    Notes: Went right to DL, and right to 225 - because I knew if I benched first, no way I'd have energy left to DL at the end. And was so warm already didn't think I didn't anything but the most minimal warmup. And I was right. 405x5 went fine, though again, was SUPER exhausted afterwards.

Bench
    275x5, 315x3, 335x3
    Notes: I was so beat I did concede to the exhaustion by dropping 2 reps on the last two sets, but all in all I'm glad I got this done. I thought I was out there for 2+ hours, it was only about 70 mins.

Press
    95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 200x5, 185x5
    Notes: Belted for 200. I feel weak. Back was cranky all week, so waited till today, could still feel it while pressing but not enough to stop me from doing it.

Barbell Row
    135x5, 185x5, 225x5 - just some light pulls to get back into it.

Had to return the bench I was borrowing from the gym, so no bench this week. But on the bright side, the gym is scheduled to reopen in some capacity on 5/18. Hopefully nothing more than limiting concurrent visits.

Monday, 5/11

High Bar Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 335x5 - belt for 315+
    Low Bar
    335x5

Floor Press (had to return my borrowed bench - but got another once since for future workouts)
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x5, 305x5, 275x5

Deadlift - 3" belt
    415x3, 455x1

305 Floor press and 455 DL on IG

Weds, 5/13

Press
    185x5, 205x5x2
    Notes: Short rests here, plus the whole 2 months off thing, had these moving slower, but OK. Belted for 205, not wearing wrist wraps yet.

205x5x2 press on IG

Power Clean
    95x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3
    Notes: Been a LONG time since I did PCs as part of a workout. These were fun.

Barbell Row
    255x5, 275x5 - just climbing back up.

225x3 power clean & 275x5 Row on IG

starting strength coach development program
    Really excited that I was able to order a Rogue R3 power rack today, after getting the email notification that they are back in stock. I've been unsuccessfully trying to source an upgrade for my too-light, not-sturdy-enough stands, but every manufacturer is sold out / has really long wait times, and because of that, the secondary market has been tough too. Wouldn't be surprised if they re-sell out within the day, or over the weekend at latest. But I got my order in. Estimated time to fulfillment is 2-4 weeks, but given that I've been unsuccessful in trying to get one on the secondary market for 3 weeks now, it made sense to just order it. It'll be brand new, and much to my pleasant surprise, they didn't raise the price at all, so it's only about $700. Less than most people are trying to sell used racks for on the secondary. Hell, a few locals have listed Rogue SML-1 STANDS - not even the rack - for $1000-1500. So getting the full R3 for $700 is great.

My gym is reopening Monday too, but having the garage option, as well as insurance against any future shutdowns, settles my mind quite a bit. I was truly going crazy without training for so long, without any other reason aside from fiat why I couldn't. I could deal with it, albeit unhappily, when injured, or recovering from surgery. But to just be sitting at home, healthy, unable to train, was driving me nuts.

OK, today's work:

Bench Press
    135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 325x5, 345x1
    Notes: Moving OK, feeling heavy and slow. Got detrained from the feel of heavy. I hate when that happens. It's annoying, but always comes back eventually.

Sumo DL
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5 - DOH
    405x3 - mixed
    Notes: Still trying to find my stance/grip here. Not there yet, but not awful.

345 bench and 405 sumo DL on IG

DB Curls
    35x8, 45x8x2
    Notes: For the gurls.