starting strength gym
Page 11 of 443 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nice recap and good lifting! Can't wait to see 1500 at your next meet.

Congradulations on a very successful competition!

Just got to watch the videos and read the detailed write-up - What a meet! Solid lifting. It's nice that you had a team of supporters there.

Thanks to all of you guys - Mac, Rob, dj, Oldster, Gillian, and Kong - for reading my (uber long) posts and for the encouraging words. Didn't know so many of you were taking a peek in here.

It was a bit strange being a reasonably experienced lifter but total newbie to an actual meet, but after all, that's what having a "First PL Meet Training Log" is all about. Getting the meet experience that I need to do better in competition, not just in training. Now that my log title is no longer applicable, I have requested Stef to change my log name, we'll see if she indulges my ultra nerdy request. (Hint: Think of my last name and a certain currently popular HBO show/fantasy book series) Looking forward to getting back into things, and getting that 1500!

Congrats from here too

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    Congrats from here too
    Thanks Michele! Brooklyn...that's on the East Coast, right?

Default Recovery Workouts

Stef has graciously granted my nerdy log name request change. I hope I'm not the only one here who is semi-obsessed with Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire??? (Full disclosure: I've read all the books twice, and watched Season 1 twice; I'm caught up with Season 2, and cannot WAIT to see how they show the Battle of the Blackwater)

Anyway, on Sunday all I did was sit on my couch and eat, and write that recap. Monday, I foam rolled and did some mobility stuff.

Last evening, I did some very light KB work, 2 circuits, after foam rolling and mob-ing some:
    Circuit 1 - 3 sets, all with 16kg Kettlebell
    1a. 15 KB swings
    1b. Hamstring dynamic stretch, 10/leg
    1c. KB Clean and Press Ladder: 1/3, 1/2, 1/1
    Rest ~1 minute, repeat

Circuit 2 - 3 sets, all with 16kg Kettlebell
    1a. KB Goblet Squats - 8 reps
    1b. Pushups - 8 reps
    1c. Dynamic Quad Stretch - 8-10/leg
    1d. PVC Shoulder Dislocations and a few random OHS and Snatches

Today, I lifted a bit. Meant to be a recovery/get back into it workout, post-meet.
    Foam roll, mobility, etc...

Squat - did high bar, since my elbows had been bugging me the last few weeks. The low bar position done correctly doesn't cause this, for all the reasons Rip explains; but I do think that it was causing just enough strain on the joint to prevent it from healing. So gonna do high bar for a week or two to give the elbows a chance to recover, then back to low bar once they're back to normal again.
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x3, 285x2, 315x1

Press - focusing on 3rd ed/olympic style press
    45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 125x5, 135x5, 135x5, 155x5

Power Cleans - light
    115x3, 135x3, 155x3x3

Chins
    5,5,5 - could easily have done more, but kept it a recovery workout. Will go a bit harder Friday, before picking up the TM on Monday.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Good name change Enjoy the recovery week. The post meet high is very nice. I'm guessing that you are already trying to decide what's next?

Yup. Haven't decided on next meet for sure yet, but there's definitely some things in the works!

Also, I just saw this: http://https://www.facebook.com/phot...type=1&theater
    Perfectly appropriate for the gym, no? Gotta pay the Iron Price! Am I the only Game of Thrones nerd here, for real???

starting strength coach development program
    No, I'm a GOT fan. Haven't read the books though-- I am watching season 1 for the second time so my wife can get caught up-- the show is amazing.

I'm not entirely crazy about how they kill everyone off though. On the one hand it's cool that no one is safe and it makes it more interesting, etc., but it reminds me of what happened with the Dune trilogy: basically an author not in love with his characters, sacrificing them for the sake of being "intense" or "dramatic" (can't really use the word "realism" in this context can I?). As a reader, I find it rather depressing to grow attached to characters only to have the author brazenly wipe them out. I hear the books just worse in that regard. That said, the show is completely enthralling and addictive....

Dire Wolf-- love it!

Page 11 of 443 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast