starting strength gym
Page 15 of 443 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    And ultimately, I know 220 is too small for me, but I could put significantly more muscle than I currently have on me, and still be a 242. I'd ballpark guess my bf% around 15-17% weighing in the low 240s. If I got that to 10-12%, which I know I can do, I can hold about 10lbs more muscle and still be in the same weight class. So that's what I want to do.
    That's pretty much where I am, albeit 50 pounds down. I'd like to move up into the 198 class but that is way off: I'm 184 and I'd like to get my BF down from 18-20% to 10-12%. Putting on muscle is a slow process no matter what. If I try I can add 5 pounds of fat in a week though!

Since that foot injury in...whatever it was, March or February, my conditioning has sucked. I'm also a bit heavier now due to my eating habits, though only ~5lbs. I'll get it back. And ultimately, I know 220 is too small for me, but I could put significantly more muscle than I currently have on me, and still be a 242. I'd ballpark guess my bf% around 15-17% weighing in the low 240s. If I got that to 10-12%, which I know I can do, I can hold about 10lbs more muscle and still be in the same weight class. So that's what I want to do.
    Yes, but would the women (and gay men, I suppose) of New York be able to withstand the magnificence of it all? That is the really important question.

So this week I'll do 307.5 for 5 on ID, which will be a PR for 5 reps. But is it really a PR, having done 360 paused at a meet, 330 for 5 singles, 315 for 3x3 easily etc...I dunno? Sorta but not really.
    Yes it is. A 5 rep set that you have never done before is a PR for reps at that weight. It will have more meaning as that 5 rep set weight moves closer to your old one rep PR. Wendler talks about this in his 5/3/1 manual. A PR for reps is a PR for reps. Track them, count them, celebrate them, move on.

Today's workout cancelled. Started feeling a little wonky last night. I get sick very rarely - last time I remember being sick was 2008 or 09 - so assumed it was just something I ate and would go away. Has gotten worse since then, so I had to cancel some plans I was looking forward to (sorry spar and michele) and skip my heavy bench workout. Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow, but based on what I feel as of this writing, I'm not so sure. Oh well, that's the way the iron bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    That's pretty much where I am, albeit 50 pounds down. I'd like to move up into the 198 class but that is way off: I'm 184 and I'd like to get my BF down from 18-20% to 10-12%. Putting on muscle is a slow process no matter what. If I try I can add 5 pounds of fat in a week though!
    I know, tell me about it! Good luck to the both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Yes, but would the women (and gay men, I suppose) of New York be able to withstand the magnificence of it all? That is the really important question.
    Judging by my experience here in Manhattan, it's the gay men who will get REALLY excited. Which I suppose is good, considering the GF and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Yes it is. A 5 rep set that you have never done before is a PR for reps at that weight. It will have more meaning as that 5 rep set weight moves closer to your old one rep PR. Wendler talks about this in his 5/3/1 manual. A PR for reps is a PR for reps. Track them, count them, celebrate them, move on.
    There's nothing here I can really argue with, but what I suppose I meant is that I've been at a strength level in the bench press where I know I could have hit 305x5 with 100% certainty. I just happened not to be doing 5s at the time. So I'm just not sure that's really a PR, except in the most technical sense. But either way, I'll soon be hitting real PRs by all accounts, which I look forward to.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-28-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Feel better Wolf

Get better Wolfie...

Hope you're feeling better!

Thanks to everyone for the get-better wishes. So far I'm much better than when I got blindsided by this Thursday, but my stomach is still constantly roiling. I didn't eat anything at all for ~36hrs from 10am Thursday to almost 10pm last night (if you know me, you know how CRAZY that is), and have only eaten a bit since then. I don't even want to think about how much weight I'll have lost by the time this is over, or how far back I'll have to re-set my lifts. It shouldn't be too much, but I just spent 2 weeks doing exactly that so am already annoyed.

Since I was bored this morning (funny how 2 days straight of staying home and doing nothing will do that to you), I entered this contest. I never do stuff like this, cause it's usually a waste of time, but since I was so bored and had nothing better to do, I figured what the hell, it's worth the 1 in a million shot. So if you want to support the creation of a black iron gym in Manhattan, click on the link, like it on the facebook app, and share and spread the word.

PS my original submission was much awesomer, but when I had to pare it down to 1000 characters, I had to cut out some of the best (but non-essential) parts.

Hell yeah!

starting strength coach development program
    Might you have a non FaceBook link?