starting strength gym
Page 26 of 443 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by byzkarl View Post
    I am indeed a Chicago suburbanite, and we are shaped similarly, but Bob is much better looking than me.

Thanks for the great seminar, Wolf.
    Karl, if you define better looking as having marginally more hair, then OK, I'll grudgingly concede the point.

Wolf, it sounds like your migration around Chicago in your formative years is just the reverse of mine. We lived on the far north side until I was 12 then bailed to the suburbs only a bit west of where you were, to Wheaton. I saw my first Bears games at Wrigley Field. Likewise, I really haven't done much more than visit there since leaving high school.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    Karl, if you define better looking as having marginally more hair, then OK, I'll grudgingly concede the point.
    Marginally more hair a trade off for getting yelled at for cutting off your squats an inch too high? Tough one to call. Both of you guys are Press Monsters, which is awesome. And both can claim some relationship to Chicago. The tiebreaker goes to Bob for bringing us some suds, which we enjoyed while watching Alex (Guts on the forum) work up to an ~150kg clean and jerk, coached by Rip, at about 9pm AFTER doing all that lifting and not sleeping all weekend.

Wolf, it sounds like your migration around Chicago in your formative years is just the reverse of mine. We lived on the far north side until I was 12 then bailed to the suburbs only a bit west of where you were, to Wheaton. I saw my first Bears games at Wrigley Field. Likewise, I really haven't done much more than visit there since leaving high school.
    First Bears game at Wrigley, now that's pretty awesome. I still visit Chicago 1-2 times per year on avg, but after 10+ years in NY, it feels like home now. I realize how scary that sounds, but it's true.

Default 9/10/12

Felt really good today from the get go. Did a bit of lacrosse ball rolling in between empty bar sets and 135 set, but otherwise was good to go.

Squats - back to sets across
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x3, 275x2, 335x1, 395x5x3
    After working up to a 5 at 395 last Friday and then a 425 single, stayed with 395 today but did sets across. Dare I say it felt easy? The 5th rep of each set was a bit slower than the previous 4, but otherwise really easy and smooth. I was surprised how easy this was. I'm going to jump 10 and go for the big 405x5x3 - four wheel linear progression - on Friday.

Press
    45x5, 75x5, 105x3, 135x2, 165x5x3
    Made two jumps here: one from 150 to 165, the other from ramping to sets across. Not worried, since it's still all much lighter than 185x5x3, which I did (with some difficulty) before I had this latest training layoff.

Deadlift - wasn't sure what weight to choose here. Both from the "coming back" perspective as well as the "not worth going too heavy and fucking up Friday's 405x5x3 squat attempt" perspective. I did 425 pretty easily last week, when I was only ramping up to 365x5 in the squat, so chose 455 today. It went ok.
    155x4, 265x2, 355x1, 455x5

I switched grips twice during the set, so took a few extra seconds between some of the reps. This was definitely a challenging set, but no reps were in doubt or particularly slow.

Also wanted to start some conditioning today, so walked to jog for 3-4 mins, then did 3 200m intervals. Not very fast, because it's been a while and also recovery concerns for Friday's squats. I was up to 8.0 mph by the 3rd one.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Also tore my boxer briefs again today while squatting. That's twice in a couple months. Can't you get a decent stretchy boxer brief?!?
    Just a suggestion--maybe give Tommy Hilfigers a try (the athletic kind that go partway down the thigh)...I've ripped five pairs of boxer briefs squatting, but THs have held up without issue. The downside is they're a lot more expensive (list price is $25 a pop), but I've found them at discount stores like TJ Maxx for 3/$12.

Love following your log...would you mind if I PM'd you sometime re: some of the programming choices you made, just for my own edification?

Quote Originally Posted by mamba12ga1 View Post
    Just a suggestion--maybe give Tommy Hilfigers a try (the athletic kind that go partway down the thigh)...I've ripped five pairs of boxer briefs squatting, but THs have held up without issue. The downside is they're a lot more expensive (list price is $25 a pop), but I've found them at discount stores like TJ Maxx for 3/$12.

Love following your log...would you mind if I PM'd you sometime re: some of the programming choices you made, just for my own edification?
    Thanks for the rec, Brody. Both pairs I tore were Puma, size large, IIRC. The large's are a bit loose in the waist, but tight as hell in the legs. If I went up to XL, no way they'd stay up on my waist at all. I'll look for the TH's at a department store for a discount, because no way I'm paying $25 for a single pair of boxer-briefs.

Feel free to PM me, sure.

Gotta cast a vote for either Adidas or Ethika compression shorts. I don't train without em. Ripped 6 pairs of Nike Pro's and 3 pairs of Under Armour compression shorts last year. Fuck I've got a big ol ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    First Bears game at Wrigley, now that's pretty awesome.
    Yeah, it was the greatest day in the world to go with my Dad to see The Bears. I saw them play the Rams and the 49ers. This would have been when I was nine and ten in '66 and '67 in the era of Butkus and Sayers, Atkins and Obradovich. I'm old, Wolf, old.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    Gotta cast a vote for either Adidas or Ethika compression shorts. I don't train without em. Ripped 6 pairs of Nike Pro's and 3 pairs of Under Armour compression shorts last year. Fuck I've got a big ol ass.
    I'll check this out too. I've always been more comfortable in regular boxer briefs than compression shorts, just don't like the way they feel. But may be worth another look, especially if I keep tearing through my smallclothes.

Ha, a big ol ass - you hide it well, but no way to have squat and deadlift numbers like you do without it!

Yeah, it was the greatest day in the world to go with my Dad to see The Bears. I saw them play the Rams and the 49ers. This would have been when I was nine and ten in '66 and '67 in the era of Butkus and Sayers, Atkins and Obradovich. I'm old, Wolf, old.
    Not old Bob, cool. Damn cool. You saw Butkus and Sayers in their prime!!! Dick freakin' Butkus, arguably the greatest linebacker of all time! Probably Ernie Banks too, for the Cubs? Damn. Besides, my Dad's got a good 7 years on you, and no way I'm ready to admit HE'S old yet!

Wolf, I've been wearing the Under Armor boxer briefs for years. I don't carry the junk in the trunk that the big boys are carrying, but I've not had a problem yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Best thread ever