Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    Best thread ever
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Thought I was going to see some of your clothes. That'll teach me to click on links in this log..

Lifting always goes so much faster, and is much easier, when there's no squats or deadlifts involved.

Did a bit of foam rolling on the L and T spine, and some shoulder mobility stuff. Then ~2 min on the C2 Rower.

Bench Press
    45x5x2, 135x5x2, 185x3, 235x2, 280x5, was too easy so finished with 285x5x2
    I'm surprised at this because on Friday, 275, 265, 255 all for 5 were easy-ish, but not super easy. Didn't expect to jump this much so quickly, even if it is just getting strength back that I already had. I did have a good hand off today, vs none at all on Friday, and that definitely makes a difference, but doesn't account for the whole difference. Anyway.

Chins
    10, 10, 10. Ya. The last 2-3 reps on the last set (and probably rep #10 on the first two sets) had a lot of knee-rasin', hip action going on. But chin went over the bar.

Was considering doing some light squats today, but ultimately decided not to. I'll be ready for 405x5x3 come Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Wolf, I've been wearing the Under Armor boxer briefs for years. I don't carry the junk in the trunk that the big boys are carrying, but I've not had a problem yet.
    So we've got Jordan touting the Adidas or Ethika and Mac voting for Under Armor. I guess I'll choose one pair to buy and try it out...though considering it was Adidas boxer briefs that I tore, I'm less inclined towards them, even though it's an entirely different product.

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    Best thread ever
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCClaud View Post
    I agree.
    Glad we could brighten up your day, lovely lifting ladies of NYC!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Thought I was going to see some of your clothes. That'll teach me to click on links in this log..
    Ha! I thought that link was some of my better work.

Lift today at SWBC prior to the seminar. Logging it before I forget the details, then off to bed, wakeup call in less than 6 hours.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x3, 275x2, 345x1, 405x5x3
    Damn was I happy to do this. Big milestone on LP. Don't know how much LP is left in my squats, and methinks not much, but I'll keep it up while I can.
    Paulie and Steve watched/coached my squats. Paulie noticed a bit of forward knee travel at the bottom, and Steve pointed out that I am popping too much into my lockout at the top, using more energy than I need to finish the lift. Energy that could be valuable come rep #5. I was able to make corrections to both over the 3 sets, though was quicker to correct the finish than the knees.

But let's be honest, I did 405x5x3. Fuck ya.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 115x3, 145x2, 170x5x3
    Nothing exciting to report here, other than Steve, seeing my amazing hip movement (or lack thereof) during the set, pointed out that I must be one helluva bad dancer. He is right.

Power Clean
    135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 195x3, 215x3
    All were easy. I hadn't PC'd since before I got sick, so about a month ago. I was DL-ing three times every two weeks to ramp back up quickly. Since I was a big rusty, I went light and just ramped up. 215x3 still felt very easy.

Had a rueben about 90 min later (first chance to eat). Was no match for Irina's of Milwaukee, but after waiting that long post workout to eat, I inhaled it.

Default Re: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

I vote for under armor compression shorts even squatting and deadlifting. That's what I wear, I love them.

Wowsers. 405 3x5 is pretty f'ing big! Congrats, I was disappointed when you got ill and was unable to finish, and if I recall, you did 400 3x5 in front of Rip and Steve.

Nice.

This must make your 1RM something along the lines of a metric ton.

Quote Originally Posted by djl236 View Post
    I vote for under armor compression shorts even squatting and deadlifting. That's what I wear, I love them.
    I didn't read the rest of this silliness, but yes: stretchy shorts.

More importantly, awesome news on the 4-plate work sets.

I strongly suggest you try to get over to BareBurger on 7th ave and 1st street. I'd pop in and say hi, but I'm in FL this weekend.

405x5x3 - Holy shit Wolf! Amazing!

starting strength coach development program
    Wolf,

Congrats on the 405, that is a nice accomplishment. Also, it was great meeting you this weekend at the seminar. Thanks for all of your help. I can't wait to get back in the gym and put what I learned into practice.

John