starting strength gym
Page 30 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You're close to stalling - that's for sure. I think at this point it may be that you may have progressed further than anyone I've ever seen on Novice linear programming, but hell, you bought into the system and learned how to eat along the way. That said, when you decide to switch it up... I could have you squatting 500 by Christmas - I'm certain of it. Just a thought. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    This is exactly how I feel, I did not know that Dan John said this, but I know it in my heart, regardless. Further, I don't want to train Gillian or have her train me. We have too many other facets of our lives together to muddy it up with that. Far more worth it to find someone we know and trust and run with it.
    Exactly. Once I get to the point where I need more than textbook programming, I will enlist the help of someone smart, wise, and experienced who knows this stuff really well.

It doesn't sound like you are going to move to Advanced Novice then. I am interested to see what Friday brings. I think this is a tempest in a teapot, personally. You will hit it Friday and we'll move on.
    Maybe I wasn't clear, I have been doing Advanced Novice, for a while now. I've only been adding 5lbs to my 3 sets of 5 twice per week since around the 300lb mark. Earlier than was absolutely necessary, but I find with the amount of time I spend on my feet + the amount I walk (it's NYC, after all) + the number of stairs I climb every day (my apartment, and all the subway rides), I felt a lot better adding 2x/week instead of 3. So we're now talking of moving on from Advanced Novice, to either Advanced Novice ramping sets to try to squeeze a bit more out of LP, or switching to Intermediate programming.

I wish I was as confident as you about Friday. I mean, when it's game time and I approach the bar, I'll be fired up and confident as hell. But stepping back analytically, I'm not as sure. 275x5 today was no picnic (see workout log entry below).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    You're close to stalling - that's for sure. I think at this point it may be that you may have progressed further than anyone I've ever seen on Novice linear programming, but hell, you bought into the system and learned how to eat along the way. That said, when you decide to switch it up... I could have you squatting 500 by Christmas - I'm certain of it. Just a thought. :-)
    Haha, thanks Matt. I've certainly made a ton of progress on linear, I don't think too many make it past 400 on LP. I'm very happy about it, thanks to my parents for some decent strength genes. I may just take you up on that offer soon though. I want to hit at least a 500 squat at the Dec 1 meet.

Was so tired today, I suspect recovering from Monday's training. I napped ~2hrs yesterday, slept ~6hrs last night (about my norm), and then napped again ~2-3hrs this morning/early afternoon after finishing my morning sessions. Felt better after that.

Press
    45x5x2, 85x5, 120x3, 150x2, 180x5x3
    Getting quite hard. Despite my work on it, I am still not as good at the olympic press as I am the old style strict press, which I did for 4-5 years. I'm certainly better at coaching it than doing it. I need to use my hips more.

Recovery Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5
    Was planning to go up to a set at 315x5, but 275 was plenty hard enough for today. Not sure if it was Monday's squats, rack pulls, or the combo of the two, but I was quite fatigued in the low back today, and somewhat in the legs. 275 wasn't hard, but way harder than I expected so didn't go up to 315.

Chins
    10, 10, 8
    Felt strong, was just fatigued by the last set

Did 4 rowing erg intervals of 200m/1:30 rest, not pushing too hard but haven't done hardly any conditioning lately so wanted to get some in.
    Pace: 2:00, 1:55, 1:51, 1:41 (pushed a bit on the last one)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear, I have been doing Advanced Novice, for a while now. I've only been adding 5lbs to my 3 sets of 5 twice per week since around the 300lb mark. Earlier than was absolutely necessary, but I find with the amount of time I spend on my feet + the amount I walk (it's NYC, after all) + the number of stairs I climb every day (my apartment, and all the subway rides), I felt a lot better adding 2x/week instead of 3. So we're now talking of moving on from Advanced Novice, to either Advanced Novice ramping sets to try to squeeze a bit more out of LP, or switching to Intermediate programming.
    I see that now, and truthfully, it sure does make a lot more sense that this is the case. I follow the log, but I wasn't studying your weights.
    I wish I was as confident as you about Friday. I mean, when it's game time and I approach the bar, I'll be fired up and confident as hell. But stepping back analytically, I'm not as sure. 275x5 today was no picnic (see workout log entry below).
    I know this for certain - if you are not confident with it - stay home. No confidence = no success at a hard task in the gym. If you don't go in there ready to tear down the walls, capable in your mind of getting the next progression toward you're future 1000000lb squat - you won't.

As I tell myself almost everyday in the gym and as I have told others on this forum, don't be a pussy. Don't be afraid of success.

When the time comes for you to elicit the help of a programmer, call me. I have lots of experience with coaching, and I would be very happy to share with you the details of coaching that have helped me both as a coach and as a student, and what has really made the difference for me as a student - hopefully this will bring some success for you, friend.

I know this for certain - if you are not confident with it - stay home. No confidence = no success at a hard task in the gym. If you don't go in there ready to tear down the walls, capable in your mind of getting the next progression toward you're future 1000000lb squat - you won't.

As I tell myself almost everyday in the gym and as I have told others on this forum, don't be a pussy. Don't be afraid of success.
    I agree with this 100%. You have to come to the gym, and at the bar, with tenacity and ferocity. Some people show those signs outwardly by shouting, growling, whatever. Some have this inner rage that boils up all on the inside. But the common denominator is the mental intensity and focus.

This is one reason I think using yourself as a coach isn't a good idea once you get past the basic "by the book" stuff. It's challenging to be coldly analytical about your abilities on one hand, and then come to the bar with complete confidence and intensity on the other, knowing in the back of your head the cold analysis is that this might be a weight you fail at.

For example, me right now. I failed at 415x5x3 on Monday. Today, I was on my feet so much, walked so much (probably 3-4 miles), and did so many flights of stairs that I'm worried about doing it tomorrow. But when I get to the gym and to the bar, I won't be thinking about any of that. Only how I'm gonna crush the shit out of it.

I think that gets harder though, as you have to analyze your program closer and closer when you have a smaller margin of error to continue to produce gains.

When the time comes for you to elicit the help of a programmer, call me. I have lots of experience with coaching, and I would be very happy to share with you the details of coaching that have helped me both as a coach and as a student, and what has really made the difference for me as a student - hopefully this will bring some success for you, friend.
    We will definitely speak. Let's talk about this next weekend.

We will definitely speak. Let's talk about this next weekend.
    Easy enough, looking forward to it.

As for everything else you said...SCREW THOSE STAIRS.

Just crush it.

Just did not feel good overall today. Not enough sleep, lethargic, sore, tired. Decided not to try to lift today. Tomorrow I have some family commitments that will prevent me from lifting, so will pick back up Sunday and we'll see what happens.

eat your steak biscuits brother and kick that squat in the dick.

Over the past few days, I ate everything in sight and slept a ton. I gained about 1/2 inch on my waist, felt a ton better, and kicked ass today. My issues last week were DEFINITELY recovery issues, I believe mainly related to not getting enough sleep. I probably average 6hrs between night and naps, and need at least an hour more, preferably 2, to keep progressing at this rate. Even with optimal recovery, I probably only have very little linear progress left. Without it, I am done. I need to get this fixed, which is tough considering my work schedule (finish pretty late at night and start pretty early in the AM), my natural sleep preferences (I can fall asleep no prob in the afternoon, but have trouble at night), and the fact that I'm trying to start a business/gym in NYC right now on top of my already existing work schedule. Sometimes there are too many balls to juggle, we'll see what happens.

Today went well, after all that food and rest.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 295x2, 365x1, 415x5x3
    I did 410 last Friday, 9 days ago, so this was a long time coming. First set was great, second good too; reps 4 and 5 of the 3rd set were slow grinders, and rep #5 might have been an inch high - not sure. I tend to go lower than I think I do, so giving myself benefit of the doubt, but it's questionable. Worked especially in set #2 on gliding into the lockout, instead of wasting extra energy popping into it. I need to do this consistently going fwd to continue making gains, now that I have much less margin of error.

Bench
    45x5, 135x5, 195x3, 250x2, 300x5x3
    Felt pretty strong. Set #1 I had no handoff. Sets 2 and 3 had handoffs. All reps were pretty crisp, none were grinders. Good call not doing 297.5.

Halting DLs
    185x4, 295x2, 365x1, 440x8
    Added 15lbs to the last time I did it, due to increases in squat strength, rack pulls I did last week, and the fact that last time was a bit easy. Well, 440 was a lot harder. It was tough starting on Rep 5, but I gutted it out. First 4 reps double OH, next 2 left hand supinated, last 2 right hand supinated. Still avoiding straps.

Showered real quick, then had an almost 2 hr call with my lawyer on all sorts of issues related to trying to start my gym. Fuck me in the ass, Manhattan is a seriously annoying place. I understand why no black iron gym currently exists here. You have to have so much money, and such an intensely strong desire to do this specifically (and not just open up any old gym), to jump through all the hoops. I am not yet sure my space will work out (some issues with the lease, and have to clear the space being allowed to be used as a gym, then get permits and licenses and all sorts of BS). It's giving me a headache already. But we need it here really bad.

starting strength coach development program
    Wolf,

Congrats on keeping your LP going and good luck with your business venture. It sounds like a huge challenge but I am sure you can make it happen.

John