starting strength gym
Page 31 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Congrats on that PR! You're bench is no joke either.

NYC is nuts, the taxes are nuts, the regulations are nuts, the people are nuts. I love the people (well, one more than the others), but you're all nuts!

Open that gym, I'll pay the guest fees to come in...assuming it doesn't require a second mortgage to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post

NYC is nuts, the taxes are nuts, the regulations are nuts, the people are nuts. I love the people (well, one more than the others), but you're all nuts!

Open that gym, I'll pay the guest fees to come in...assuming it doesn't require a second mortgage to do so.
    Haha... Yes, we are nuts to live here and living here makes us more nuts.
    _____

Nice work Wolf! Glad to see you bust thru with another PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    But we need it here really bad.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Went into today still very much feeling Sunday's work, but not as much as last week. I've been better about getting a little more sleep and eating to recover better.
    I also decided to start with squats even though I'd usually start with the press today, because I've found that my quads tend to cramp more in the press if they're not very warm; if they're warmed up from squatting, especially sub-max squatting like today, they feel better during and after the pressing.

Squats - recovery
    45x5x2, 115x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 325x5
    Though my legs, butt, and back were still somewhat fatigued and recovering from Sunday's training, these were still appropriately easy. I feel pretty good about getting to the point that 325x5 is a recovery day squat. I've still got a long way to go, but acknowledging the point never hurts.

Press
    45x5x2, 85x5, 125x3, 155x2, 182.5x5x3
    Holy crap. Rep 5 of set 2 was hard. Rep 4 of set 3 was hard. When it came to rep 5 of set 3, I was sure I wasn't going to get it, but went for it anyway, and it happened. It might have taken about 5 minutes to go from the bottom to lockout, but it happened.
    I know I'm still not using my hips enough, because I've gotten past this for LP in presses using the 2nd edition form (stretch reflex on reps 2-5), with a lower concurrent bench press (and squat and DL, for what that's worth).

Weighted Chins
    BW +25lbs x5x3

4 Intervals on the C2 Erg: 200m/1:30 rest @ paces of: 1:53, 1:52, 1:48, 1:36.

Wolf's Gym

I like the way that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Haha... Yes, we are nuts to live here and living here makes us more nuts.
    _____

Nice work Wolf! Glad to see you bust thru with another PR.
    Mac and Rob, you're both spot on. We're nuts, living here makes us more nuts - and makes our version of "normal" way outside normal everywhere else - but we're damn good people for all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Staci View Post
    Truer words were never spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Wolf's Gym

I like the way that sounds.
    I like the way it sounds too, and I'm working on it every single day. Probably have spent 25+ hours over the past week on it. And of course for any of my SS buddies, I'll make sure the fee is just low enough so you don't have to take out a second mortgage to come in and train. You might have to part with all your other worldly possessions, but at least you'll be able to keep your home. Promise.

Where do I sign up? I rent and will find a cardboard box to chill in if need be =).

Friday, 10/5/12

Yesterday was a long-ass day. After a 90 minute call with my lawyer from 10:30pm till midnight on Thursday night/Fri morning, I didn't get to bed till 1am. 6:30am wakeup for the flight to Dallas. To the airport, almost 4 hour flight, then 2.5 hour drive to Wichita Falls. Then 2.5 hours of lecture on prowler conditioning with Reynolds and Rip on the Split Snatch. Now don't get me wrong - this is all awesome shit. And we got to hang with Kirk Karwoski as we gave him a ride from the Dallas airport to the Falls. But it was not optimal conditions for my training, at 8:30pm by my internal clock, after all that and sub-optimal eating all day long.

But something about the atmosphere and adrenalin of lifting with and in front of such a distinguished group must have kicked in, because I smoked it last night.

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x2, 295x2, 365x1, 420x5x3
    The good: these went up easier than I remember anything going up since 395. Except for the last rep of the 3rd set, which was a bit harder. Went forward on a few of the reps, but not much. Very solid, overall.
    The bad: fucking Josh Wells and Matt Reynolds get me all psyched up about squatting together with Kirk. Then they move so fast that by the time I change and am ready to lift, they're already moving from 225 to 315 and I have to squat on another rack. Calling you out, boys!

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 195x3, 255x2, 305x5x3
    Hard, but good. Matt pointed out on my 2nd set that I was looping the bar a bit towards my feet as I came up off my chest, so I worked on fixing that for set #3. I didn't get to rest as much between sets 2 and 3 because we had to get to dinner, so set 3 was rough. The last rep was a real grind, but with a bunch of people shouting at me, I got it up.

Had to skip power cleans, for time reasons.

The first day and a half of the first ever SSCA Conference has been great. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I wish I was there! Freaking cool.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

starting strength coach development program
    Watched all three of your squat sets, and one of your bench sets - strong, food looking sets - all of them Solid work, excited we have been able to spend some time together.