starting strength gym
Page 33 of 443 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Go for the ego maniac. Something will happen.

I'm sure of it.

Nothing good though.

That was quite a mishap! I have done the two step lock out before-- not a fun feeling, but getting trap under the hooks is a nightmare. Wow.

I like your program plan btw, n interesting twist. You can call it super-advanced linear I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Go for the ego maniac. Something will happen.

I'm sure of it.

Nothing good though.
    Oh ya, definitely nothing good. I'm generally not an arrogant guy, and actually don't like arrogance in others. Not to be confused with confidence, especially when justified. But when it comes to my own lifting, in my own head, I think: I CAN FUCKING DO THIS. Even if it's plainly obvious that I shouldn't even try. I'm much better about this than I was in my early and mid 20's - I was basically the big fish in the small pond my entire life, so even though I'm not egotistical by nature, you just come to assume certain things about yourself - but some still lingers. Goes back to the Dan John "the trainer who trains himself has a fool for a client." While I don't currently pay someone to train me or program for me, this log allows me to get feedback from other lifters which helps keep things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    That was quite a mishap! I have done the two step lock out before-- not a fun feeling, but getting trap under the hooks is a nightmare. Wow.

I like your program plan btw, n interesting twist. You can call it super-advanced linear I guess!
    Ya, getting stuck under the pins was all kinds of suck. I knew I had the lift, but the pins cock-blocked me. In that slightly bent over position, there was no way I could take a step back with 405 on my back without a good chance of something bad happening. Conceding and lowering the bar to the pins was a blow, but the only intelligent thing to do.

The program plan is based somewhat on my conversations with KSC and Reynolds and somewhat on my own thinking about the subject. The goal is to be able to add to my 5RM twice per week without losing the ability to be used to the volume, so I can jump right into TM when this doesn't work anymore and i have to go to legit intermediate. I would have liked to try the twice every eight days on 3x5, but planning it and how it would coincide with my other lifts was getting to be too much of an ordeal.

About to head to the gym for today's lift - a 435x5 squat followed by back-offs, then 187x5x3 in the press, and 445x8 haltings. I'm thinking of cycling to 5's and then 3's in the haltings (and rack pulls) over the coming weeks leading up to the meet. Especially haltings. I'm a bit weaker off the floor than at the top -I've never gotten anything over my knees that I couldn't lock out, so off the floor heavier work should help. I need to hit a minimum 550 DL, but hopefully closer to 600, on Dec 1.

EDIT: just checked the calendar and including today, have 4 halting workouts before the meet. If I switch today and do say: 465x5, 475x5, 490x3, 500x3 over the next four weeks, will I be better prepared to pull ~575 than if I do 445, 450, 455, 460 all for 8? I tend to think so, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-15-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Today's training went well. Took a long time because I got into some conversations between sets and rested more than I otherwise would have. But I showed the fitness manager and one of trainers at the gym my article, so planting some seeds. Anyway, training...

Squats
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 305x2, 375x1, 435x5, 410x5x2
    All went well today. No wacky incidents like last time. One of my form breakdown tendencies at heavy weights is to get a bit into my knees and get too forward, as evidenced by Friday's idiocy on my third workset of squats. I focused on that today and got a bounce without getting too far forward on any rep. Obviously got a tiny bit forward on a few reps, but way less of a problem than the last two squat workouts. Felt good to have that behind me, I was worried it was gonna get into my head.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 125x3, 160x2, 187.5x5x3
    These were hard, but still have a bit more in the tank.

Halting DLs
    Decided to go down to 5's. Was feeling good so did 5 more lbs than planned.
    185x4, 295x2, 385x1, 470x5

One perk of having the B&R bar locked in a closet at Cara's gym is that I get a "free" farmer carry of the bar in one hand about ~150 ft each way. This is because the 2 squat racks are up front, where the closet is; but there are no round iron plates in the entire gym, but (at my urging about 10 months ago), Cara ordered some bumpers. Which are all the way at the other end of the gym. So after my rack work, I carry the bar in one hand all the way to the other side of the gym, when I need to bench and/or do any cleans/haltings/rack pulls/deadlifts with the bumpers.

I count that as my cardio.

Forgot to mention yesterday among my ramblings...for those of you who were involved in, or followed, the underwear destruction part of this log a few weeks back: I went to Modell's to look at the options there based on the recommendations you guys gave. I just couldn't bring myself to spend so damn much on underwear (I'm a fuckin' Jew, what do you expect?). I settled on trying Champion's boxer-briefs made specifically for sports. $10 for 2 pairs, so not terrible. Will be wearing them to lift for the first time upon the morrow. Get excited.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-16-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Forgot to mention yesterday among my ramblings...for those of you who were involved in, or followed, the underwear destruction part of this log a few weeks back: I went to Modell's to look at the options there based on the recommendations you guys gave. I just couldn't bring myself to spend so damn much on underwear (I'm a fuckin' Jew, what do you expect?). I settled on trying Champion's boxer-briefs made specifically for sports. $10 for 2 pairs, so not terrible. Will be wearing them to lift for the first time upon the morrow. Get excited.
    I didn't not follow that part of the thread but heard about it. In response, Jeremy said "I go to Target and get their cheap stretchy shorts. They are just like Under Armor but 1/5 the cost." Ok, that's not an exact quote, but that's what he said. They are cheap. Like you.

Jew bastard.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Dude, try being a girl. Our underclothes are half the size and twice the cost!

I didn't not follow that part of the thread but heard about it. In response, Jeremy said "I go to Target and get their cheap stretchy shorts. They are just like Under Armor but 1/5 the cost." Ok, that's not an exact quote, but that's what he said. They are cheap. Like you.
    Easy for Jeremy to say. For me, Target is just...so far away. Brooklyn or Harlem and the East River. Modell's is like a 5 minute walk and I think what I got will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Jew bastard.
    Your post inspired me to look that up. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Staci Rudnitsky View Post
    Dude, try being a girl. Our underclothes are half the size and twice the cost!
    I think I'll pass and take your word for it. I also like that you used the word "underclothes." Makes me think of stuff like this:

I should also note that I find it funny that 1) All three responses were to the underwear thing, none to the actual lifting or thoughts on programming and 2) All the responders are also of the J persuasion. Shit's getting real up in here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Jew bastard.
    Jordan said what the ]goyim could not without getting slapped in the face with yamakas.

We are talking about the family jewels, no need to be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    As stated before, we are talking about our parts that we spend more time considering for the preponderance of our teens and early 20's.

This shit is important, gentleman.

The idea that you won't spend $15-20 to properly carry your cock and balls around is ludicrous.

I am shocked, disappointed, and dare I say, disgusted.