starting strength gym
Page 41 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Default Re: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had to wake up at 5:45am today (early for me) to get to the gym in time to lift and get to the airport by 10:45. I hit snooze a couple times but still got everything in. I am not a morning person and hate training early, especially without even a full breakfast- protein shake w pb and milk was all I could do, short of waking up before 5 to eat. Had a good lift though.

Squat
    45*5*2, 155*5, 245*3, 325*2, 395*1, 450*1, 465*1, 475*1 - PR, 455*1*2
    5 heavy singles, 475 being the heaviest, and a10lb PR. Warmups didnt feel great, but all singles were solid. Rested ~5 mins between singles.

Bench
    45*5, 135*5, 215*3, 295*2, 355*2+1. Then two paused singles, 315 and 345.
    355 was supposed to be a triple, but the dumb shit commercial gym trainer, who was the only one around for a hand off, spooked as soon as i hit a sticking point in rep 3 and grabbed the bar. After I told him exactly how I want my spot. Three times. FUCK. After reaming him a new asshole, I did a single about 30 seconds later. Fuck fuck fuck, i am so pissed about this. I was gonna grind through that rep.

The singles afterwards were easy.

Power Cleans
    135*3, 160*3, 185*3, 210*3, 235*3
    All easy. They popped today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-16-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Wait, you're pulling 545 with a DOH grip? Wow Wolfie...
    Hahahaha ya right. It's a mixed grip. I prefer it to straps. Hate straps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

355 was supposed to be a triple, but the dumb shit commercial gym trainer, who was the only one around for a hand off, spooked as soon as i hit a sticking point in rep 3 and grabbed the bar. After I told him exactly how I want my spot. Three times. FUCK. After reaming him a new asshole, I did a single about 30 seconds later. Fuck fuck fuck, i am so pissed about this. I was gonna grind through that rep.
    There is nothing worse than a bad spot. I usually tell people do not touch the bar unless it is clearly moving in the wrong direction, I have had some success with that. Congrats on the 10 pound squat PR. That is pretty impressive considering you were training that early in the morning. Whenever I am forced to train that early it is always a miserable experience.

Have a great weekend,

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    355 was supposed to be a triple, but the dumb shit commercial gym trainer, who was the only one around for a hand off, spooked as soon as i hit a sticking point in rep 3 and grabbed the bar. After I told him exactly how I want my spot. Three times.
    Dude, NOTHING pisses me off as much as this does.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Dude, NOTHING pisses me off as much as this does.
    Me three. Seriously, you need to understand the principle of grinding through a rep to get it, and I don't think many typical gym goers do.

Quote Originally Posted by mariawolters View Post
    Me three. Seriously, you need to understand the principle of grinding through a rep to get it, and I don't think many typical gym goers do.
    Me too. I fucking make it very clear to not touch the bar until I say "grab it" or you will die.

Also I never take a lift off on bench because everyone always screws me up when they give me one.

This log is full of win. Awesome work.

Nice solid work. Congrats on the PR...

Yesterday's flight was supposed to have me landing back in NYC by 1:30pm. Several delays later, and I didn't get back in till 5:30, and back home till 6:30. That knocked out any chance of training yesterday after getting home, as was the plan. So this week will be T/Th/Sat, and will work up to openers on Tues of next week. Slight change to the original plan, but it'll work. Now onto the good stuff. last volume day before the meet.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x3, 275x2, 345x1, 395x5x5
    Way harder than expected. Probably due to residual weekend fatigue and sitting in the airport/on the plane for so long yesterday. I got them all done, but even the first couple sets weren't easy, and the last rep or two of sets 4 and 5 were hard. 5 minute rests, 7 for the last set.

Bench Press
    45x5, 135x5, 205x3, 265x2, 310x5x5
    This was way harder than it should have been, but I still did get them all. After the first set, I knew it was the day itself that was hard, and not just a shitty squatting day. Knew it'd be a grind, but I resolved to stay at 310 and do them. Rests started around 4 mins and got slightly longer over the 5 sets.

Halting DLs
    185x4, 295x2, 405x1, 490x5
    Quad started twitching from the very first rep of 185. Knew this would be a bitch and a half. Stretched the quad some between sets, and the 490x5 set was a hell of a battle. I rounded some on the last rep, but got it over the knee. Not sure if I could have locked it out, though.

I was just plain old fatigued and tired today. If I could have waited till tomorrow, I bet these lifts would have been - not easy, but just fine. But with the meet next Saturday, I couldn't push off a day and do Intensity Day on SUNDAY, unless I wanted to forego working up to planned openers at all next week. Maybe that would have been the better move, I don't know, but I did it this way - so I can do ID Saturday, rest Sun/Mon, work up to openers on Tuesday, rest W/Th/F, and meet on Sat.

Final determination will come based on how next Tuesday's workout goes, but as of now, planned openers are:
    Squat - 455
    Bench - 345
    Deadlift - 530

starting strength coach development program
    Good Shit wolf way to persevere when you weren't feeling it