starting strength gym
Page 46 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Default Re: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Short story: despite royally fucking up on my bench, I went 500/365/580 for a 1445 total.

Recap to come at some point tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nice work! Looking forward to the recap.

Sick numbers, Wolf. I'm lazy and don't want to go back through your log, but how does this compare to your PR's?

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Nice job Wolf, can't wait to hear all about it.

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

TWO Denny's meals. In a row.

I know you lifted a lot of weight yesterday and everything, but what sticks with me is: Two Denny's meals. In a row.

I went to make my recap and saw that Kong wrote up a really great recap already - I don't have much to add to his description of the night before and the meet, other than a few things from my own perspective and the videos on the lifts. I definitely recommend reading Dwayne's recap as it is thoughtful and insightful and an all around good read.

I was staying overnight in PA anyway, so as not to spend lots of time folded up in a car the day of the meet, I figured might as well weigh in Friday night, which was 5-7pm. I got in the car at 3:45pm and though google maps said about a 1:45 trip, it took 2:45 because of traffic. I knew I'd be well underweight so didn't take off any clothes or even my phone, wallet and keys out of my pocket. I weighed in at 270.6, which means I was probably 264-265. I was 258 when I decided not to cut, so a 6-7lb gain in about 3 days was pretty good. Not epic, but good.

We then went to Denny's, as Kong reported, and I was super excited about the Hobbit menu. I ordered the ring burger, but unfortunately forgot to ask for my free pack of The Hobbit trading cards. Oh, bitter regrets...
    We went back to the hotel and just talked about life and lifting for a couple hours, before heading back to Denny's (no Cracker Barrels nearby) where I had the fish-n-chips and Dwayne had the Brooklyn spaghetti and meatballs. We had our bloat. Back to the impossible to find Ramada and to sleep.

We slept in till about 9, showered, and went to Perkins for a late breakfast. I had the country fried steak and eggs and hash browns and some other stuff. Ya. Got to the meet at 11:30 where my friend Jorge was competing in the AM session. PM rules clinic and they got the flights up. I was placed in the 2nd flight for squats and bench, and the 3rd for pulls - pretty good considering most lifters are geared. Jorge kicked butt in the 198's (he missed making his usual 181 by 3lbs) with a 420/320/575 (I think). Strong dude.

Unlike the May meet I did, I came prepared: a couple of cliff bars, two big bottles of G2, and mini bagels with tuna. So I'd be properly fed and energized for the long day ahead - and that was a good thing, because the meet didn't end till about 10:30pm. It was a long, long, long ass day of lifting. A test of endurance almost as much as strength, in a sense. With 45 PM lifters and 3 flights, the breaks between lifts within a flight, as well as between the different lifts, were quite long - so you had to keep your focus and not get cold in between. I believe in a meet like this, the ability to do this is almost as important as the physical ability to do the lifts.

OK, on to the good stuff: the lifts. I chose aggressive openers for this meet, with the thought that, knowing it would be a long meet, I could pass on my 3rd squat and bench attempts and save mental and physical energy by making goal weights by my 2nd. It didn't quite work out that way, but all's well that ends well.

Squat
    Warmups were good - the lifters were by and large a nice and friendly group, good about letting people work in on the 2 monolifts. We raw guys walk it out, but they have the monolifts because a lot of the lifters are geared.

Opened my squat at 475 and although I didn't get a good bounce, it was a pretty easy and smooth lift. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC9o_pTgPJM

Chose 500 for my 2nd attempt, and this was my goal weight. Smooth, strong, and easy for a 15lb PR:

So easy, in fact, I decided to go for a third at 515. I lost some tightness at the bottom and let the weight push me deeper than I ought to have and couldn't quite overcome that. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2xse673hSw

Bench Press - this is where I really had a bad day. Which is odd because bench is usually my best lift.

Opener at 365. I had hit a 365 double last week, followed by a paused 365 and a 3 second paused 375. So I figured 365 was a safe opener, then 380-385 depending how 365 felt, then pass on the 3rd or go for 400 if 385 really popped. But the bench itself threw me off. I don't remember this from the May RPS meet, but the bench they used for this meet was an inch or two higher off the ground than the bench I train on. I assume the one I train on is the "unofficial" one but who knows. I couldn't get my feet/legs in the position they are used to being in to solidify the lift and drive into the floor. The bench was also significantly softer than the one I train on. I believe this was the difference that threw me off even more as I just could NOT get tight or a good arch on this bench.

1st attempt - missed it. I asked for plates for my feet and I don't ever do that, so adjusting to that was a bit off. But more so, I could not get tight and something in my left shoulder gave out because I couldn't drive against the bench. You can see it happen on the video, and the spotters reacted quickly to save me from some potential pain.
    Slightly scary video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEl_LFVJQTw

2nd attempt - I was really mentally thrown by that miss. I'd hit 365 so easily multiple times in training, and I'd just missed it BADLY and with a now irritated shoulder to boot. I shrugged it off as best I could and went in hard and made the 2nd:

3rd attempt - I should have waived it, but was still really upset and the 2nd one @ 365 wasn't too hard so I called for a (I thought) conservative 375, which I had also hit in training pretty easily. Nope. It looked like it was gonna go up but just wasn't there. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqM42c4mlYo

My thrill at hitting the 500 squat was now severely dampened by what happened on the bench. I now had to hit 565 on the pull to make my 1430 goal, so my strategy changed from "hit 550, try 600, and whether I get six or not, pass the 3rd attempt," to "MUST HIT TWO ATTEMPTS!"

Pulls
    550 opener went smoothly, so I chose 570 for 2nd. 550 video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvXwA52j8s

A bit aggressive, as 565 would have gotten me my 1430, but 550 was easy enough that I went for it. 570 was pretty strong as well, and a 15lb PR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPpznvuaIg

I was tempted to try 600 now that I had my goal total, but knew I wouldn't hit it, so called for 580, which I was sure I could do, despite the fact that it was now after 10pm and I'd started warming up for squats more than 8 hours earlier. And I did, for another PR:

Finished with 500/365/580 = 1445. Beat my 1430 goal by 15, despite really foooooking up on the bench press. Stopped for dinner at Denny's yet again, got home at 1am, showered, changed, and went out to meet the pulling camp contingent at Hogs-n-Heifers at 2am. See Michele's log for gruesome details - dancing bra-clad bartendresses, aging bachelorette party attendees, and Matt Reynolds dancing to it all! On our way home, a drunk guy fell on the street and smacked his face into the concrete ground and was bleeding and pretty messed up. We stayed with him and called an ambulance, which took a while to come. After aout 15 minutes, he starts trying to get up and walk away. I keep shouting at him to sit down and stop getting up. He says he's here illegally and can't risk having the police pick up him. Fuck. We called off the ambulance and hope the guy got home ok, but FUCK! And now I really had to pee. Finally made it home well after 3am, probably closer to 4. Slept till 10:30 and have done nothing today but be lazy on my couch, nap, and eat.

Today, upon reflection, I feel good about my performance overall. I didn't adjust to the bench press differences, but I still hit 365, and I squatted and pulled weights I'm satisfied with. Very close to the 1500 total I wanted by end of 2012 - and that was before losing literally months of training to illness and minor injury. So I'm good.

My shoulder is tender and sensitive today, I definitely strained something in there. I rest tomorrow, lift light on Tuesday and heavy-ish Friday. I will only press and chin to tolerance this week and see what happens. Hopefully it'll be fine by then and I can resume the quest for a 400 meet bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Mike you were awesome at the meet. I learned so much just by talking to you and watching you lift...and you are a thick mother. You make me want to grow A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Mike you were awesome at the meet. I learned so much just by talking to you and watching you lift...and you are a thick mother. You make me want to grow A LOT.
    That's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Sick numbers, Wolf. I'm lazy and don't want to go back through your log, but how does this compare to your PR's?
    As I've done only 1 other meet, in May, these were all meet PRs: Squat by 60lbs, bench by 5lbs, deadlift by 50lbs. My training PR's were 485 squat, 375 paused bench (which was pretty easy, hence why 365 was so disappointing - I was expecting 385), and 555 deadlift. So squat was a 15lb PR and deadlift was a 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Knaub View Post
    TWO Denny's meals. In a row.

I know you lifted a lot of weight yesterday and everything, but what sticks with me is: Two Denny's meals. In a row.
    I agree that this was probably the best part of the recap and weekend. Plus: The Hobbit Menu!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Damn that 500 squat went up so easy, I thought you had 515 in the bag. Good lifts man.