starting strength gym
Page 48 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back to business (sort of) today. I'm hoping to start the TM with a slight deload next week, so this week is rebuilding the bit of work capacity lost with the small taper for the meet and light week afterwards. Along with giving my shoulder more time to heal, as it's improving daily but not yet 100%. Honestly I'm not sure if a week will be enough for the shoulder, might be 2 weeks or more till it's fully healed but I'm hopeful.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x5, 405x3
    Was able to move my grip about an inch narrower today, so only ~2 inches wider than usual. Good news for the shoulder. All sets here pretty easy. Could have done 5 at 405, and probably a triple at 440 and still called it easy. But laid off - still 2 more workouts to build volume capacity back up, no need to crank it up all in one day. Will plan on warmups, then 3 sets of 5 at 365, 385, 405 on Wednesday, then probably a triple at 425 or something.

Press
    45x5x2 before squats to warm up shoulder. Then 45x10, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 145x5x2, 95x10
    Extra volume for the rehab work. 145 felt fine, probably could have gone to 165 today but I can save that for Wednesday. No rush. Will do 45x10xa bunch of sets tomorrow.

Power Clean (Warmup for Deadlift)
    Bar x3, 135x3, 160x3, 195x3, 225x3
    2nd set was supposed to be 165 but misloaded: put two 5s on one of the sides instead of a 5 and a 10. #intelligencefail The 225 was a very sloppy set, but still pretty easy.

Deadlift
    315x1, 405x1, 495x3, 365x1 (no shoes)
    Figured on a heavy-but-not-close-to-limit triple to get back to pulling. It was harder than expected, but the 3rd rep was barely harder than the 1st, which leads to believe I
    had a set-up issue today and wasn't efficient right off the floor. Eh. Then tried a light single with no shoes to see if that helped the set-up. Couldn't really tell, maybe too tired by then.

C2 Rower
    4 Intervals of 250m/1:30 rest
    Pace: 2:00, 1:57, 1:56, 1:51
    Easing back into a bit of conditioning, which I plan to do 1-2x/week. Both to keep a basic minium level of conditioning up, as well as to nudge my weight back down in the right direction. I got up into the mid 260's for the meet (once I decided on going 275), and there's no need for me to be that heavy right now. Just extra fat. 250-255 will probably be a decent place to settle till I have more muscle. I'm not concerned with the scale, really, but that's about where I expect it will be when I am where I feel I should be in terms of balancing strength gains with not getting fat. Should be interesting to see how this goes. Might have to start paying closer attention to macros. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Sorry I gave you my shoulder germs. 0_o
    Probably passed 'em right to me during that hand-off!! How is your rehab coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Really inspirational, Wolf--great job! The fact that you smashed your goal even with the bench issue shows how dialed in you've been. I really hope I'll be able to catch you in NY to train sometime.

P.S.--You never get acid reflux? Screw you--I have a bottle of tums within arm's reach in the bedroom.
    Ya, that was one thing I was pretty happy about - beat my goal by 15 even with a bad bench and missing a squat I should have made that would have added 15 to my total. All is well. Do you come to NY often?

And ya, this is the third time in my life (that I can recall) when I had acid reflux. Not a bad deal. I mean, we all have our own physical screwiness we deal with. Acid reflux just isn't one of those things for me.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Ya, that was one thing I was pretty happy about - beat my goal by 15 even with a bad bench and missing a squat I should have made that would have added 15 to my total. All is well. Do you come to NY often?
    Not traditionally--but one of my wife's best friends moved there last year, and my brother is an Assistant DA for Suffolk County and recently moved to the city...so I now have a lot more reasons to go. My wife and I came up for a friend's wedding this past June, and we're really going to make an effort to get back sometime this spring or summer and spend three days or so obligation-less.

Congrats on the meet, Wolf. You're one strong dude.

I promised this maybe a week ago, but I thought it might interest some of you guys who were talking about elite totals and what not. To qualify for USAPL Nationals (closest thing to an Elite designation they have for raw guys at the moment), men need 1505+ @ 220 or 1554+ @ 242.

Where did you get the NASA numbers, Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Congrats on the meet, Wolf. You're one strong dude.

I promised this maybe a week ago, but I thought it might interest some of you guys who were talking about elite totals and what not. To qualify for USAPL Nationals (closest thing to an Elite designation they have for raw guys at the moment), men need 1505+ @ 220 or 1554+ @ 242.

I believe these are the geared totals. Last year for RAW nationals all you had to do was do a USAPL meet and then once the sign up for raw nats came get your check in.

That chart on their website has been there forever and it isnt what they use for RAW nationals which is a different meet than the USAPL Nationals (single ply dudes)

I could be wrong though. I did however send an email to the SC and NC chairs for USAPL to get some clarification on 2013 raw qualifying totals for open 220 and open 242
    Last edited by Patrick Stroup; 12-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    I believe these are the geared totals. Last year for RAW nationals all you had to do was do a USAPL meet and then once the sign up for raw nats came get your check in.

That chart on their website has been there forever and it isnt what they use for RAW nationals which is a different meet than the USAPL Nationals (single ply dudes)

I could be wrong though. I did however send an email to the SC and NC chairs for USAPL to get some clarification on 2013 raw qualifying totals for open 220 and open 242
    Those usapl totals are for single ply folks. Raw nats require a total in a usapl, napf, or ipf meet. The Arnold requires a 390+ wilks.

derp. good lookin fellas

steve, I didn't make the table. Got it off a powerlifting site.

I lift NASA. Those are some crazy high totals. Guess I need to cut to 148 :-(

Any total at a USAPL meet gets you into raw nats? Why so easy?

A 390 wilks is a pretty good discriminator, but frankly, for an event like the Arnold, I'm surprised it's so low. I hit a 377 wilks at only my second meet, and would have had a 385 if I'd hit the bench and squat #s I should have (385 and 515). I should hit a wilks over 390 next time I compete.

starting strength coach development program
    because raw nationals at one point in time wasnt a big meet and is relatively new (started in 2008 I think?)

390 gets you in the door. It doesnt win you shit once you get there. You still have to show up and beat the Tuscherers, Gllinghams, Thompsons, Kuhns.

The top 3 men's heavyweight wilks at the 2012 arnold were as follows...

Tuscherer 507.634
    Cancelino 457.595
    MacDonald 452.682

Nothing to scoff at, at all.

Jenn Thompson was 529.837

Raw Nationals in the 125kg category the highest total was Mike T again at 1900+ with the lowest being 1206 but the guy above him (mike Battalingo) was a 1500+ total and he didnt even place in the open category. So definitely both meets top end produce some big ass competitive totals. not like you would be showing up to a meet with a bunch of 1000lb total guys. lol
    Last edited by Patrick Stroup; 12-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.