starting strength gym
Page 49 of 443 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    390 gets you in the door. It doesnt win you shit once you get there. You still have to show up and beat the Tuscherers, Gllinghams, Thompsons, Kuhns...
    That's exactly why I think the 390 wilks is low as a barrier to entry for that meet. It's so far below what the top people are doing. Thinking of me competing against Tuscherer is a joke. I suppose the major sports leagues have more than half the teams make the playoffs though...

Uh its powerlifting not the BCS championship bro.

At the end of the day it is a very minute sport in America. HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Uh its powerlifting not the BCS championship bro.

At the end of the day it is a very minute sport in America. HAHA
    Ya, ya, and I understand that because of that, they want to be as inclusive as possible without destroying the integrity of the meet and sport and stuff. I'm just surprised they concluded that 390 made the cut.

But you're literally talking about comparing a few of the best in the world (mike t and gillingham) to people nobody knows about (you and me). Interestingly, it's not like many people even make the 390 wilks AT NATIONALS to qualify. I keep telling people, nationals is a whole different ballgame with regards to judging, rules, etc.

Yeah I hear you. I still think a 390 wilks at any bodyweight is a legit PL total. ESPECIALLY with a USAPL rule set + Nationals Judging. Maybe I am just weak but all three of these 390 scores seem like a decent total in my eyes.

220 = 1415
    242 = 1461
    275 = 1509

No idea what those are for the new IPF weight classes when those are put in place.

Also the Arnold will soon be a 400 wilks according to a few people I have heard from. Maybe not this years Arnold but definitely the next. Especially since its a qualifier for the IPF Classic Worlds meet. (Raw World Championship)

Yay for my 405 wilks lol. 390 isn't a world beater, but remember it's done on a 2hr weigh-in, under the strictest judging possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yay for my 405 wilks lol. 390 isn't a world beater, but remember it's done on a 2hr weigh-in, under the strictest judging possible.
    1. You just said "yay." Just sayin'.

2. This is a decent point that mitigates things somewhat. Still just 'feels' a bit low to me, but it does up the ante a bit.

I'll just take my 367 and quietly slink off to the corner...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    That's exactly why I think the 390 wilks is low as a barrier to entry for that meet. It's so far below what the top people are doing. Thinking of me competing against Tuscherer is a joke. I suppose the major sports leagues have more than half the teams make the playoffs though...
    It's all about money. Too high of a total, too few participants, no money.

390 Wilks, lots of participants that "Qualify" for Nationals...lots of money.

Folks will compete for the excitement and experience to say they competed in Nationals.

Gillian was ready to go to the Arnolds, just to say she did...nothing wrong with any of it, just has to do with revenue. It's not a charity, afterall.

starting strength coach development program
    Thats every meet though (most other feds big national meets or pro ams have a bunch of slots for "amateur" lifters). Its a "sport" with no sponsors that depends on lifters entry fees, and dues to support itself.

name of the game I suppose. At the end of the day we all pay someone to tell us we lifted some weights with ok form and maybe a few with no ok form. Which sounds bizarre when you think about it. *starts training for table tennis*