starting strength gym
Page 51 of 443 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess mine are just worse, haha...
    I admit I haven't watched the footage of your cleans in a while, so I can't comment or corroborate. Mine really weren't horrible, just some problems to fix. I am frustrated though, that such a small amount of time off threw my off my groove so badly.

What is wrong with yours? (lazy man's approach, since I haven't watched your PC vids in a while)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    What is wrong with yours? (lazy man's approach, since I haven't watched your PC vids in a while)
    I often deal with a slight arm bend during the first pull. They do straighten for the second, but I think it probably costs me some power. I do use the externally rotate elbows cue. The biggest problem I have always dealt with is an ugly catch. I tend to split and bring my left foot back some. I also tend to lean back instead of squatting properly under the bar. I've been working front squats in hope that it will help my catch.

There are a couple of power cleans at the beginning of this video. These are actually some of my better ones. I usually do okay with 185. 205 has been where my form usually starts to break down for quite some time now. I landed on my toes some on the 215. I need to get back down to WFAC sometime for some coaching:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUGMrBPLPHQ

220 is my PR, but I didn't get a good shot of my feet here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdppU2f8Ttc

Default The Texas Method Strikes Back

Steve, I'm just here for a quick log-update, but I will check out your PC vids later, or tomorrow at latest.

Today was a mixed bag, overall. Started off well, both from a "lifts going up easy" perspective and a shoulder-rehab perspective. Then both of those went into the terlet.

Squat
    Press to warmup the shoulders: 45x8x2.
    Then 45x5x2, 135x5, 225x3, 315x2, 365x5x5.
    1. Was able to move my grip in almost 2 whole fingers, which I was pleased by. And also thought a sign my shoulder is getting closer to 100%.
    2. For my first week back on TM-VD 5x5, I went very conservative. Or so I thought. IIRC, I only did 4 weeks of 5x5 before the meet, so it's not like I am really used to the volume yet. So I figured go easy here (estimated 5RM is roughly 450, maybe a bit more?) and spend a week or two re-acclimating to the volume of 5x5.

Well, 365x5x5 was pretty easy. Rested 5 mins between sets, though felt I could have rested less. And the last set was easier than the first. I thought I was in business. Then...

Press
    45x5, 75x5, 105x3, 135x2, 165x5x3, 95x10
    Hit an absolute wall here. Way harder than Friday or Wednesday's work last week. It was like someone was pushing down against me from above, or like banded presses or something. WTF? My shoulders also felt weak. Hard to explain, but just like they couldn't tap into their actual strength. Left one (the injured side) also felt a bit odd.

I think it was being fatigued from the squats, but maybe it was just one of those days, and the squat weights were light enough that I didn't notice.

Halting DL
    Power Clean Warmup: bar x3x2, 135x3, 160x3, 185x3 - locked it in a bit better than Friday. 185 was the best set. But still felt tired as all hell for all of these.
    Haltings: 295x2, 385x1, 465x5 - considering how beat I felt, went conservative again and only used 465. It was hard. Not hard like "I can't lift more" but hard like "I'm just beat and tired."

Because of how my shoulders felt, decided to do some chin-pulldowns for extra shoulder rehab: 140x10x3.

Glad that lift is behind me.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 12-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Squat
    365x5x5.
    Oy!

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Nice job Wolf. In less than two weeks lets do done cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I often deal with a slight arm bend during the first pull. They do straighten for the second, but I think it probably costs me some power. I do use the externally rotate elbows cue. The biggest problem I have always dealt with is an ugly catch. I tend to split and bring my left foot back some. I also tend to lean back instead of squatting properly under the bar. I've been working front squats in hope that it will help my catch.

There are a couple of power cleans at the beginning of this video. These are actually some of my better ones. I usually do okay with 185. 205 has been where my form usually starts to break down for quite some time now. I landed on my toes some on the 215. I need to get back down to WFAC sometime for some coaching:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUGMrBPLPHQ

220 is my PR, but I didn't get a good shot of my feet here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdppU2f8Ttc
    Ya, I do see a slight arm bend at the start of your pulls, though like you said, it looks straight at the jump. You don't have an issue with bent arms DLs, do you?
    Also, you mention using "the externally rotate elbows cue." We use aninternally rotate elbows cue. Is that what you meant, or are you using a different technique/method?

Regarding the split/uneven footed catch, I noticed that your left foot actually starts to jump a split second before your right foot. I think that's why it's ending up back behind the right. I've never worked with someone showing this issue before, but I'd start with something that cues jumping with both feet at the exact same time in your brain: "jump together," "feet together," "jump even," or something like that. There is probably a better cue to use for this, but I'm just thinking out loud right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Oy!
    I'm surprisingly not sore at all today, just a hint of fatigue. 440x5 Friday, 375x5x5 next week. Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wells View Post
    Nice job Wolf. In less than two weeks lets do done cleans.
    The 29th, right? I'm down.

Josh Wells is offline Starting Strength Coach
    big-O

Default Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

The 29th, right? I'm down.
    Yeah. Probably around 11.

You don't have an issue with bent arms DLs, do you?
    No. I think it just has something to do with anticipating the second pull...like I'm trying to rush the bar to the right spot on my legs, and it manifests itself as a little arm bend.

Also, you mention using "the externally rotate elbows cue." We use aninternally rotate elbows cue. Is that what you meant, or are you using a different technique/method?
    No, I did mean INTERNAL...duh.

Regarding the split/uneven footed catch, I noticed that your left foot actually starts to jump a split second before your right foot. I think that's why it's ending up back behind the right. I've never worked with someone showing this issue before, but I'd start with something that cues jumping with both feet at the exact same time in your brain: "jump together," "feet together," "jump even," or something like that. There is probably a better cue to use for this, but I'm just thinking out loud right now.
    Thanks for looking at this. I always think about landing even, but it never occurred to me that I'm starting the jump unevenly. This will help!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wells View Post
    Yeah. Probably around 11.
    I've got a good feeling about some big numbers on that day, I'll see you guys there.