starting strength gym
Page 53 of 443 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Shoulder still improving, but back isn't yet where it needs to be. It's improving rapidly each day, but not quite there. I decided to take today as another rest day and train tomorrow, in hopes my back will be good enough tomorrow to do some squats and cleans. Probably not a true intensity day of 445x5, but if I can even work up to mid or upper 300's for a set of 5, rest again Sunday, I may be ready to repeat 375x5x5 Monday, and essentially only be set back 1 week. We'll see. Pressing is still rehabbing/working up to previous levels, so not having the extra day between Friday and Monday won't matter either.

Now I'm gonna eat a huge lunch and relax for a couple hours till my next training session.

I feel pretty lame posting these workouts lately. Being broken, even temporarily, sucks. Shoulder preventing pushing gains in UB focused lifts, back preventing pushing gains on LB focused lifts. At least there's always Star Wars marathons on Spike to ease the pain.

Squat
    Press 45x5x2 to warm up shoulder. Then:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x5, 415x1
    Back felt pretty good here, but starting at 275 I could feel the spot where it's injured. It was a twinge - not painful, not weakness. Just a twinge of some sort letting me know "Hey Wolf, I'm still not 100%." So I halted the 5s at 365 and did a single at 415 to feel some heavyish weight. Pretty short rest, about 2 minutes between sets, maybe 3+ minutes each before 365 and 415.

Was able to take my pre-injury grip width (middle finger on the Powerlifting rings) by the 7th set (315). I can feel it's still stretching out in that position, but I could get there and stay there. I usually get there on the 4th set when healthy.

Press
    45x5, 85x5, 115x5, 145x5, 175x5, 185x5x2
    The 185 sets were hard. Frustrating again. Shoulder feels better every day, but still plenty of recovering to do. Today is 4 weeks since the injury.

I also suspect that the absence of any heavy bench work is making it more difficult to regain the strength on my press.

Deadlift
    135x3x5
    Was going to do power cleans, but tested a set of 3 of plain DL first. Good thing. Back not ready for cleans yet. It seems the stabilization required during the squat is fine, but repeating the mechanism of injury itself (in this case, rack pulls) is behind in the recovery curve. That makes sense. So just did 5 sets of3 really light pulls. Felt good.

Bench Press
    45x20x3
    Felt better than last time I did them (Monday or Wednesday, don't remember offhand).

Another repsxsets guy.

Great.

(Facepalm)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Another repsxsets guy.

Great.

(Facepalm)
    Is this controversial?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Another repsxsets guy.

Great.

(Facepalm)
    Is there another way? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Is there another way? lol
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...700#post588700

Trained with Dave P today. We got a couple of minor form issues he's been having worked out, and I also ran my mouth a whole lot because Dave was a very willing audience. And that's what I do when I have a willing audience. So we worked really slowly.

Squat
    Press 45x5x2 to warm up shoulder. Then:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 365x5, 405x3, 455x1
    Felt my back injury the slightest bit less than Saturday. Could have done 405x5 but felt it wouldn't be any good for the back. The 455x1 was dumb in retrospect, too. Should have gone back down for another 5 at 365. Dave said my knees were moving an inch or two in on some of the heavier sets. They weren't coming in previously, so I suspect this has something to do with compensation for my back not being at full strength. Not enough to worry about, but something to pay attention to and correct especially till my back is at 100% again.

Press - weak as watered non-alcoholic beer
    45x5, 85x5, 115x5, 145x5, 165x5, 115x5
    Still felt some fatigue from Saturday, and overall weakness. Did a couple sets of 1-Arm DB presses after this @ 30lbs x 10 reps.

Deadlift
    145x5x5, 185x5
    Back felt noticeably better pulling than Saturday, so upped pounds by 10 and did 25 total reps, up from 15. Then did a set at 185 since Dave was loading that anyway and 145 felt fine. 185 felt just fine too. Will probably do several sets at 185 on Weds.

Disappointed with slow progress of shoulder and back. Realistic estimates are probably still at least 2 more weeks of recovery for each, so I have to get used to doing lighter weights and not be disappointed by it. Hard though, when I have 2013 goals to achieve! I also think more frequency might help with the shoulder, so I may do the 1-Arm presses at home on days I don't go to the gym. I have a sport block in 3lb increments up to 24lbs, and a 16 and 24kg kettlebell at home, so I can do a few sets every day with no excuses.

Happy New Year to all.

Happy New Year Wolf! Here's to another year of great progress for you-- hope you heal up fast and are back to crushing PR's again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Happy New Year Wolf! Here's to another year of great progress for you-- hope you heal up fast and are back to crushing PR's again soon!
    Thanks Rob. Injuries are always frustrating - as anyone (including us) who has trained for any length of time is all too familiar with - but they'll pass. Eventually.

Felt pretty bad today. Back no better than Monday, and shoulder felt weak.
    Started with some erector rolling and basic shoulder mobs.

Squat
    Press 45x8,5 to warm up shoulder. Then:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 205x5, 275x5, 335x5, 385x3, 225x10
    Didn't go too hard today, back felt tweaky.

Deadlift
    135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x5, 215x5
    215 seemed about as much as my back wanted to stay hard extended for.

1-Arm DB Press
    20x10, 25x10, 30x10, 35x10, 40x10, 45x10
    Did these in between some of the deadlift sets, since those were so light

Chins
    4 sets of 3

starting strength coach development program
    I hate making these lame posts, but the rehab saga continues. Was supposed to "lift" with Josh, Nick, and JP today, but some last minute unexpected logistics prevented that. Had to go to the globo, where it was a madhouse, even though it was 2:30pm, after their 'prime time' hours. Couldn't get a squat rack, and the barbells were all being used too. Luckily we have our own there or else it would really have been a waste of time.

KB Swings
    16kgx12, 24kgx12x2 - warm up since I couldn't squat

Deadlift
    95x5, 135x5x2, 175x5, 205x5, 235x5
    Feeling just slightly better here, added 30lbs to top set from last time.

Then I saw an old friend at the gym who I hadn't seen in a long time. As we chatted, some dude loads up my barbell and started using it. He already had 225 on by the time I noticed, and was using the bumpers; he was also in one of the squat racks when I came in, and while they weren't pretty, he was doing legit deep high bar squats. So I figured maybe he is actually training and not just fucking around, and I'll start the year off with a good deed and let him use the B&R to pull with, cause the gym bars aren't very good. Sure enough, he pulls 335 but is dropping the bar the last 6-12 inches from the ground for no reason. God dammit. I went right over and told him what was what and he was all "oh ya sure sorry" and then complied. But dude - why do that in the first place?!? It really shows to go you that people will treat equipment disrespectfully if they have no skin in the game. Even if they want to use that same equipment again next time, there's a sense that "if it breaks (or in the case of a bar, bends), they'll just replace it. I pay enough money in membership anyway." Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Anyway...finished with some 1-Arm presses 5 sets of 10 going from 20-40lbs and 5 sets of 3 chins.

Then the same guy who used my bar saw me on my way out and goes "oh you look like a big guy, can I ask you a Q?" and proceeds to ask me a deadlift grip strength question. He seemed like an OK enough guy and not a total douche, but I was still not very impressed with how he changed the way he treated the bar after being told, and after he realized it actually belonged to someone.

Overall, today was Lame.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.