starting strength gym
Page 54 of 443 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Was supposed to "lift" with Josh, Nick, and JP today, but some last minute unexpected logistics prevented that.
    Dude, I wanted to be there so bad but had a f'n last minute Equifit. Soho club was (and still currently is) absolutely insane today. Luckily, most people were so excited to use their favorite machines and so I was able to get a rack. Lift Monday?

Sure enough, he pulls 335 but is dropping the bar the last 6-12 inches from the ground for no reason. God dammit.
    That is ridiculous. I am with you Wolf, it drives me nuts when I see people treating the equipment like garbage. Sorry you couldn't make it today, hopefully will get in a lift together soon. First things first, get your back and shoulder healthy!

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Sure enough, he pulls 335 but is dropping the bar the last 6-12 inches from the ground for no reason.
    This was the hardest part with the new gym...watching people use "my" equipment, put stuff back in the wrong place, etc. I watched a guy dump 455 onto the safeties from about 2 feet up with one of my newer B&R bars...a little part of me died inside.

We had a talk, discussed the use of spotters. This particular guy is a friend, knows better, but just...had a brain fart? I don't know. Anyway, he won't do it again. It's going to happen I suppose, but we are there to monitor at all times.

Makes me wish I had some shit equipment, but then I also realize that teaching etiquette is part of it.

At some (early) point in my adult life I learned to treat things with respect, especially implements that are used with precision and for a purpose. We owe a great deal to the functionality of a barbell and when I see people at my gym practicing the jerk and then just dropping the bar from overhead I cringe. I've seen the coaches correct people and every time they teach class they say things like "don't just drop the bar", but it doesn't seem to get through.

All of the tools we use-- from hammers, to computers to kitchen knives to our dumbbells-- should be handled with respect; how we approach these objects is a reflection of how we approach ourselves and each other.

At some (early) point in my adult life I learned to treat things with respect, especially implements that are used with precision and for a purpose. We owe a great deal to the functionality of a barbell and when I see people at my gym practicing the jerk and then just dropping the bar from overhead I cringe. I've seen the coaches correct people and every time they teach class they say things like "don't just drop the bar", but it doesn't seem to get through.

All of the tools we use-- from hammers, to computers to kitchen knives to our dumbbells-- should be handled with respect; how we approach these objects is a reflection of how we approach ourselves and each other.

Rob, Why would you cringe from someone dropping a bar made to be dropped and with bumpers on the ground? Especially while olympic lifting? Lowering jerks sucks big dicks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Rob, Why would you cringe from someone dropping a bar made to be dropped and with bumpers on the ground? Especially while olympic lifting? Lowering jerks sucks big dicks
    You have to follow it down so you don't drop it unevenly and bend the bar. I've seen an eleiko bent this way.

First time in a while where I could feel while lifting that my shoulder and back are getting better. My current estimate, subject to daily change, is 2 more weeks for the back and 3-4 more for the shoulder to be well enough to train hard in movements involving them. So squats and any pulls - 2 weeks and 3-4 weeks for any upper body lift. But I can still at least do the movements in the mean time, and can focus on eating better now that I don't have to eat to recover, to get back down to about 250-255 (from 265ish right now). I should have been doing the latter already, but it was holiday season and I was a lazy fuck.

Foam rolled lumbar and some shoulder mobs. Then a set of presses to warm up shoulder.

Squat
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x2, 365x1, 225x10x2
    Felt nothing wrong with my back through 225, which was nice. Didn't push it like I was doing last week; the strength will return quickly, this is rehab, not training right now. Got to my former narrow grip width by set #6.

Press
    45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5x2
    Also first time since the injury that the press didn't make my shoulder feel weak and incapable of activating. I'm weaker, to be sure - 155 felt way harder than it should have - but I don't mean my strength level, I mean the shoulder itself. It didn't feel like it was incapable of fully activating and pushing, like it did before.

Deadlift
    135x5, 165x5, 195x5, 225x5, 245x5, 265x5
    30 more lbs than Saturday. Felt better, tighter, stronger.
    Did a few 35x8 1-Arm DB presses here too.

Bench Press
    45x10, 65x8, 85x8x3
    First time doing anything but the bar in the BP since 5 weeks ago, when it got hurt. I could feel the slightest tiniest of non-painful twinges at the very bottom, but no pain.

Chins
    Easy. Shoulder felt stable in tension.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-07-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Great news! Stay with your plan, don't get over-aggressive based on positive indications.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wpalmer View Post
    Great news! Stay with your plan, don't get over-aggressive based on positive indications.
    x2.