starting strength gym
Page 55 of 443 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    At some (early) point in my adult life I learned to treat things with respect, especially implements that are used with precision and for a purpose. We owe a great deal to the functionality of a barbell and when I see people at my gym practicing the jerk and then just dropping the bar from overhead I cringe. I've seen the coaches correct people and every time they teach class they say things like "don't just drop the bar", but it doesn't seem to get through.

All of the tools we use-- from hammers, to computers to kitchen knives to our dumbbells-- should be handled with respect; how we approach these objects is a reflection of how we approach ourselves and each other.
    I don't know if these people skipped kindergarten or what, but it just seems like fewer and fewer people have this respectful attitude these days. I agree with your last line completely. A wise observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Rob, Why would you cringe from someone dropping a bar made to be dropped and with bumpers on the ground? Especially while olympic lifting? Lowering jerks sucks big dicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You have to follow it down so you don't drop it unevenly and bend the bar. I've seen an eleiko bent this way.
    What Jordan said. There's also a difference between dropping a weight because you have to: snatches, jerks, and cleans when they get to a certain weight; and dropping a weight just cause. It's true that bumper plates and certain bars are designed with that in mind, but as many have observed (Rip's story about the Eleiko customer service denying that his bent Eleiko bar could have possibly been an Eleiko bar because Eleiko bars don't bend), it's still pretty easy to ruin an expensive barbell. If it's dropped unevenly, even a good bar will bend.

In Rob's case, it sounds like these people were practicing the Jerk, not going for heavy singles or doubles on it. They could have lowered it without too much trouble. And in the case of the guy using my bar, he was deadlifting. In addition to dropping the bar resulting in red lights if it were at a meet, it's just a dumb and unnecessary thing to do. You don't risk messing up the equipment unless you have to. When you have to, you do it in the best way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wpalmer View Post
    Great news! Stay with your plan, don't get over-aggressive based on positive indications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    x2.
    I will take the word of these two wise men to heart. I'm not going too aggressively for my own good. As aggressive as I can, in the same sense that you need overload to spur progress, you do to spur rehab. But it's a much slower, more measured kind of aggressive.

I forgot how enjoyable split routines can be. Did "upper body" today and will do "lower" tomorrow, since I'll be flying Friday and coaching all weekend, then flying back all day Monday - so won't be able to really train again till Tuesday. So spreading things out a bit over this week. May try for a quickie Saturday or Sunday, but 50/50 at best if that happens.

Foam rolled and mobs for shoulder a bit to start

Press
    45x5x2, 75x5, 100x5, 125x5, 145x5, 160x5x2
    Shoulder feeling better and stronger. Very good.

Front Squat
    45x3, 75x3, 100x3, 125x3, 145x3, 160x3
    Did these in between sets of the press. Goal is to regain my lost right wrist pain-free mobility. Because I've been spending too much time on my laptop, I can't do a pushup or get into a FS/Clean rack position without pain. Been this way for months now. It's idiotic. So I'm spending less time on the computer and going to incorporate more stuff to get that pain free mobility back. I don't need to front squat or do pushups for my current goals, but you're damn right that I should be able to bust either one out whenever I want to.

Chins
    Easy. Upped Total volume from 20 to 24 over the same number of sets (6). Shoulder felt great.

Bench Press
    DB - 25x10, 35x10, 45x10
    BB - 100x10x3

Started with the DBs because both benches were taken. Moved to the bench when it opened up. Added 15lbs and 6 total reps - and that's not counting the DBs. Shoulder felt good, no pain and only the faintest twinge I could barely feel.

C2 Erg: 30s row/90s rest x 4 @ (pace/500m):
    1:45, 1:40, 1:43, 1:39
    Not fast, but I had to work a little since my conditioning has gone down to literally zero. My back didn't love these, may skip them tomorrow.

See you there.

Lower body focused lifts today, but did a small bit of upper pulling and pushing as well.

Squat
    Press 45x5 to warm up shoulder, then:
    45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5x2, 365x5
    Felt good today. Even at 365, just barely felt the slightest bit of the back issue. Far and away the best squats have felt since getting hurt. Shoulder warms up more quickly as well now. Good stuff. I still have weeks of rehab to go, but I can finally see the difference my hard work has created, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Deadlift
    135x5, 175x5, 205x5, 235x5, 265x5, 285x5
    Back is still more sensitive to pulls than squats, but still added 20lbs to top set.
    Did a few sets of DB 1-Arm Press and DB Bench Press at negligible weights in between these sets, one set of three chins. Planned to do more and to do BB Bench but it's still January and the gym was crowded, even at 2-3pm.

Did a short walk/jog afterwards, mainly to see if my back was ready for sprints yet, and to get my achilles un-stiffened. I walked a minute and jogged a minute 3 times, only getting up to 6.1. Not even a fast jog, but my back isn't ready for more yet. It will be soon. Achilles were a bit stiff, as they get after not running for months, but loosened up after a few short minutes.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Default Re: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Lunchtime training today so had to be quick. Overall back felt better and stronger than last lift on Thursday.

Squat
    45*5*3, 135*5, 195*5, 245*5, 295*5, 335*5, 385*5.
    All felt ok on back, rested 2 mins between sets.

Press
    45*5, 75*5, 105*5, 135*5, 165*5, 175*5
    Shoulder felt better too. Again 2 mins or less rest.

Deadlift
    135*5, 175*5, 215*5, 255*5, 295*5
    Back felt better and stronger.

I'd also like to add that if you ever find yourself in Sacramento, have breakfast at Pancake Circus. Not for the food. It's all about Winny the Poo and creepy clowns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Nice signature - as previously discussed over whiskey.

Happy Birthday Wolf AWOOOOOO!

Default Re: Wolf's Log: From Cub to Direwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Nice signature - as previously discussed over whiskey.
    Don't know what you're talking about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk2 to annoy Mac Ward

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Glad to hear you are feeling better.
    Thanks Rob. Still healing, but significantly better now than two weeks ago. Hopefully I'll be able to bench and pull heavy again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Happy Birthday Wolf AWOOOOOO!
    Thanks Kong! Airplanes and airports - helluva way to spend a birthday.